Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 24-January 18 )

• Photo
    Bald_Eagle

• Photo
    littlered

• Photo
    Rob_Butler

• Photo
    MC Hat

• Photo
    flyfish99

Photo

Enfield Town V Harrow Borough

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
56 replies to this topic

offline littlehampton

littlehampton
  • Reserves Coach
  • Supports: Enfield Town, Spurs
Formed in 1936, Folkestone have had 65 years longer than Town to get their act together and move forward. Also, they didn't lose their manager and most of their first team squad in the close season, leaving a new manager to pick-up the pieces and build a new side. Forget Folkestone, we deservedly beat top club Dulwich Hamlet 3-1 at home, which is no mean achievement is it? "Credit where it is due"!
  • 72wemblyfinal likes this

offline 72wemblyfinal

72wemblyfinal
  • Onlooker
  • Supports: ETFCTony
  • Fav. Player(s): Tony Bass,Steve King,Liam Hope,Corey Whitely
  • Fav. Sport(s): Rugby,Swimming,Football,Darts
Very well said Littlehampton,agree entirely.

offline Theodopolous

Theodopolous
  • Reserves
No chance of that LH.... even when we beat Dulwich it was posted we were lucky and they should of hammered us (what game were they watching)... and after a creditable draw at Imber court it was against a VERY POOR Met police side (who beat Staines 5-1 a few days after )... this forum has become split between those who dislike AL and his style of play and those who think he has done a very good job starting from scratch..... it's a shame we can't get new members posting to give some new opinions.....
  • Barney likes this

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Not sure why the date a club was formed many years ago has anything to do with a club's current playing status.

offline littlehampton

littlehampton
  • Reserves Coach
A simple statement of fact Andy, they are a well established club and, after all that went on last summer, with BQ jumping ship and taking most of our players with him, it is no great surprise that Folkestone are ahead of us at this stage of the season. AL is working his socks off to bring us success, but it takes time, and it certainly doesn't provide encouragement or support for the cause, when certain individual are continually sniping at AL on here, with one even telling him to walk. Pathetic!
  • 72wemblyfinal likes this

offline Steph1

Steph1
  • Reserves

I referred back to my post following the Dulwich game and it is giving clear credit for the performance in that game. But the problem is that we have not been consistent in our tactics or our performance. If you wish to consider previous games consider, Hendon away, FOLKESTONE away, by far the worst performance by a Town team for many years, Brightlingsea Regent and Royston Town and Leiston. I was at all of those games and our performances were poor.

My comments after the Dulwich game,

"But we were still nowhere close to the best team on the park." (Quote from MT Head)

Disagree MT Head. Of course we were the best team because we won by two clear goals. Yes we had to rely a lot on Wright yet again but he is part of the team. Compare Wright's performance with their goalie who dropped the ball into his net as he was under pressure. Their goalie is part of their team.

So we had a better goalie and, in the end, we had better tactics. Yes they moved the ball about a bit and their passing was often better than ours but on many occasions in the second half they were lost for ideas. At the final whistle we were on the attack again.

When they came out looking for a point, the same mistake that Folkestone made in the first quarter of an hour or so, our forwards found the space to finish them off. I do agree that Mickey should be playing wide up front and that Ward-Cochrane deserves to play from KO but the manager had the tactics right today and deserves credit for that.

We beat a side who are looking for the championship at the end of the season, who had not been beaten away this season and the Town had never beaten home or away. Half full? I am drunk on success and give me a glass of that every week.

Still he needs another 16 points from 7 games to meet his target a very tall order with two away matches to come."

online lovely stuff

lovely stuff

A simple statement of fact Andy, they are a well established club and, after all that went on last summer, with BQ jumping ship and taking most of our players with him, it is no great surprise that Folkestone are ahead of us at this stage of the season. AL is working his socks off to bring us success, but it takes time, and it certainly doesn't provide encouragement or support for the cause, when certain individual are continually sniping at AL on here, with one even telling him to walk. Pathetic!

To be fair, forums will have people with viewpoints from all spectrums of the scale and no one persons option is more valid or correct than the next persons.I feel we are quite balanced on our forum.Yes we have a few over-critical members.Just as we have a few over-optimistic members.I also feel the comments are mostly justified.The manager and the team get criticized when the performance is less than acceptable for the standards we strive for.I also feel that due praise is given when a good performance is produced. 

online lovely stuff

lovely stuff

Ps..There are quite a few clubs higher up the pyramid than us who were formed years after we were.Just as we are higher up than many clubs formed a 100 years ago.

offline PocketRocket

PocketRocket
  • Reserves
Half way through the season Steph, I think it would be fairer judging us by the 46th League Game.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we were above Folkestone by then

offline littlehampton

littlehampton
  • Reserves Coach
Some perfectly valid comments made by LS and Steph1. No one would disagree that we all want success for our club, or that there have been some very disappointing performances and results in some matches this season. We have no divine right to success, it doesn't happen overnight, and it takes time, patience, planning, and lots of hardwork, on and off the field.

Under BQ we were moving in the right direction, but he decided not to see the project through, and left with most of our best players, many whom have since moved on to other clubs. Even Brad had his bad days, and Steph will remember our cup exit at sleepy Kings Langley, to name but one!

Andy Leese has only been with us a short while, but he is open, honest, approachable, pro-active, and deserves our support. He may not achieve all his points targets, but it won't be because of lack of effort, more because his team-building is still work in progress this season.
  • Barney likes this

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
Exactly. We have no devine right to success. We are a club which is the same as any other. All are striving to win the league, yet there will only be one champion. As for BQ leaving with most of last year's team, that's history now, just like we are not EFC, so why can we not just stick to matters in hand?
  • MbrunoB likes this

offline PocketRocket

PocketRocket
  • Reserves
I think this season is potentially developing into an exciting one. We need to skip a couple of immediate hurdles for my optimism to be shared, starting with 2 away League games at Worthing and Kingstonian. Could you imagine the optimism if we came back with 6 points and then immediately have 2 home v Merstham and Tonbridge to hurdle.

It’s all to be play for in my opinion, end of January League table will be interesting

online lovely stuff

lovely stuff

Throughout the season we have been winning one/losing one on average.Letting in as many goals as we are scoring.Unless that significantly improves then the end of the league table will not be that interesting at all,.

offline wilson

wilson
  • Onlooker
  • Supports: Arsenal, Enfield Town, Knox City (Australia)
I am interested in the various views and I respect all of them. I am 12,000 miles away so do not have the luxury ofactually seeing the team play. I can only go on the facts and what people say. After 24 games last year, by my
calculations, we had 36 points. This year, we have 34 points. After all the off season turmoil, with a manager and 80 -90% of the squad leaving, I would have taken where we are now at the start of the season and I think most
people would have too, if they are honest.

Would I like to have seen the team higher - of course I would but I think we have to support the management team in
their rebuilding project. That's all I can offer to the debate.

offline PocketRocket

PocketRocket
  • Reserves
Wilson- you can always be an Enfield Town Tifosy subscriber and catch all the home league games filmed footage straight to your laptop and contribute to any future success, I’m sure the board would afford you hospitality on any UK visit in return

offline 72wemblyfinal

72wemblyfinal
  • Onlooker
  • Supports: ETFCTony
  • Fav. Player(s): Tony Bass,Steve King,Liam Hope,Corey Whitely
  • Fav. Sport(s): Rugby,Swimming,Football,Darts

Once again Littlehampton I am in agreement with you.But unfortunately a few members on here seem to have an agenda to find fault with every performance by the team and decision by the management/Board.

offline Theodopolous

Theodopolous
  • Reserves
Spot on 72WF... nothing more to add....

online lovely stuff

lovely stuff

Longevity must make people more cynical and pessimistic.Those who have been on this forum forever and have thousands of posts seem to be the most critical.Whilst the fresh faced 'under 100 posts' members seem to be eternally buoyant and positive with a 'corner' always just about to be turned.

offline Theodopolous

Theodopolous
  • Reserves
Fresh faced 57 year old 😀.... must be the new moisturiser my partner brought me ......
Certainly not buoyant but am realistic and appreciative of a job well done......

Only two more posts and I become a cynical grumpy old sod ☹️

Edited by Theodopolous, 4 January 2018 - 03:57 PM.

• Barney likes this

online lovely stuff

lovely stuff

We look forward to welcoming you. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus