This post is pretty important, so please try and take the time to at least skim over it, and before posting a question elsewhere in the forums, first read this thread to make sure it's not answered.
The migration is largely done now, and I now want to consolidate everything that's been done, all questions, comments, and all issues into this thread, as a single resource for anyone with any questions about the migration/upgrade. I'll try and split everything up into sections, so that it's easily found. I'll highlight any nice features that'll make your life easier, mention any bugs and issues that we're still working on, and any settings that you might want to have a look at, amongst other things. If anybody wants to know about anything, please point them to this thread.
If you find a bug that's not been handled elsewhere, please feel free to post a new topic right here in this forum and I'll take a look at it. Please try and name it descriptively enough so that it's easy to find later on.
Now, for some general tips on how to use the forums. If you wish to know how a particular feature works in more detail, please visit this link. If it's not giving you the answer, please post a new post in this forum, and I'll answer as best I can.
- In-Line PM system: Send a PM directly from any thread, any profile, or blog, without leaving your screen. Click on the little Mailbox icon underneath my Avatar, for example.
- Flash uploader: Ever wanted to upload many files at once? Switch to the flash uploader (Username drop down box, top right ==> My Settings ==> Enable flash uploader).
- Rich Text Editor: Want a pretty reply box, and not the [ quote ] tags and the [ /quote ] messing up your view? Switch to the RTE (Username drop down box, top right ==> My Settings ==> Enable visual (RTE) editor).
- Gallery system: This time, it's not a hack. This time, it's a properly supported feature.
- Downloads system: This will be coming soon....
- Multi Question Polls: You can have up to 5 questions, with 25 options in total
- Media embedding: Now, you can post any video (Youtube, Google Video, etc) into any post, without hassle. Simply paste the full URL of the product in between the [ media ] tags. Simple! Please do not simply post the link.
- PM private chatroom: You can now have up to 4 people chat privately in a PM chatroom. Simply invite more to join an already existing PM conversation between two people.
- Facebook integration: You can now link your Facebook account to your forum account, and sync some of the fields from your Facebook account onto your forum (visit
- Username drop down box, top right ==> My Settings ==> Profile Tab ==> Manage Facebook Connect)
- Username able to be changed: This forum software allows you to change your own username, according to settings set by the Admins. At the moment, you can change your user name 3 times every 180 days, after you've made 500 posts
- Posting stats on profile page: Visit your profile and click on the stats tab for interesting information about your posting habits.
- Xbox Live Gamertag Integration: Coming Soon....
- Twitter integration: Very soon, I'll add a Twitter sidebar block to the Forums, which will allow you to send and receive your Twitter messages directly from the forums.
- Various different templates / skins. We have several skins for you to chose from. Please use the dropdown list to select your favourite.
- You can now have your own blog. Simply click on 'Blogs' at the top of the page.
- Groups. Until a group mod has been written we will be introducing subscriptions for several clubs. Upon joining it will give you additional rights for your own club. Simply chose the the 'free payment' option. This will be added once we are live and stable.
- PM's are located under the pull down by your name - top right (on most skins) - see messenger.
- To multiquote from more than one post, click Muliquote on the post(s) and click reply.
These are just some of the features that the new software allows us to have. Add to this a fresh and new design, with plenty of pretty things thrown in, and this is the software to have right now.
We've also set some limits to certain things. Please read below for a description of them:
- Avatars are now set to allow Avatar sizes of 110x110
- Signatures may have 1 Image, 2 URL's, and 2 lines of text only. Images are 400 x 135 max size.
- Each user now gets 200MB's of upload space for attachments, Gallery images, Downloads section uploads, and Avatar uploads.
- Each user now gets 100MB's of upload space for Blog uploads.
- We also allow a massive 30MB maximum upload per file.
Thanks for your patience in this upgrade and migration process. I know it was frustrating for many of you, and I know and understand that many of you long for the old ways, but this is at the moment the best way forward for our plans for the future.
I hope that you'll enjoy the new forums, and please shout if you have any requests or suggestions.
I will be adding many new features in the coming hours/days - these are being lined up. We may have to disable skins if they are not showing correctly, so if you suddenly go back to the default skin, do not fret - you will soon have your favourite skin back again.
Edited by Ian_W, 9 September 2009 - 05:01 PM.