Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Great memory

53 seasons

Great to read on the Town twitter a feed from Port Vale as follows: ' 6/1/81 a night to forget for Vale & their fans as they go down to a 3-0 FAC3R defeat at an impressive Enfield side in North London'

I can recall it well and interested to hear from others who may have been at that match. Vale featured Mark Chamberlain who went on to play for England and is the father of Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. However he was totally eclipsed by EFCs Steve King who tore shreds with the Vale defence. This was the side Eddie McCLuskey built and IMO Enfield's strongest ever era.

Remember it well - official crowd as declared at about 6,500, but I reckon there were a good few more! I arrived just before 7 and had to park by the Lincoln Arms (The Salisbury as was)!

Thanks Father Jack like being there all over again. I know my memory is not so good but didn't we win the third game, at the Orient 1-0 again, with Lewis scoring. Or am I dreaming. Ah!! those were the days. Would love to see us beating Wimbledon ( I think

4-1 at Southbury Road ) several years earlier but you can't have everything.

no the next game was against a smaller club called Barnsley in fact father jack correct me if im wrong January we didn't play a league game for the whole month fa cup/trophy middx cup and London senior cup games !!!

no the next game was against a smaller club called Barnsley in fact father jack correct me if im wrong January we didn't play a league game for the whole month fa cup/trophy middx cup and London senior cup games !!!

The replay against Barnsley at Whitehart lane was a night I will never forget,over 35,000 there that night if memory is correct.

Yes and that was when only 3 sides of the ground was being used as the main stand was being rebuilt. I believe that it was reported to be the largest crowd of the season up to that date.

Let's hope those times can be repeated and that other supporters can enjoy the feelings we had over so many years.

Exeter, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Torquay, Leicester, Swindon, Cardiff, Chesterfield, Peterborough,Preston and above all Barnet 7-1!!!! etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived