Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 0 Ducks 1

Swifty

This is beginning to get tedious. The fifth defeat in a row, and our 17th non-win in the last 21.

Four changes to Saturday's team, with Elliott on the bench and Sami moving back to take his role, Tyler injured, and Dan and 'Herbie' away for reasons unknown, though Max is apparently pondering a move to a team a division below but challenging for promotion to our level and in his home town. Real shame if he does go.

We had two new recruits in the starting lineup, Tom Howard from Merstham in midfield (who did okay until replaced by Ginger Bobby Moore) and Camberley Town's big hitting and vocally encouraging keeper Craig Bradshaw, who wore a shirt whose yellow colour was very similar to United's amber away tops - turns out it was the only keeper's shirt we had which fitted his muscular frame and the ref gave concession for him to wear it. That was the only decision referee Bentley gave in our favour until the 67th minute. United weren't physical but they were given every 50:50 and let off every foul until that minute. But I digress.

We encouraged as much as we could from the terraces but the truth was, we made a very ordinary side look good. The early season Ashford would have had these ducks in pancakes with Peking sauce, spring onion and cucumber and scored three or four against tonight's 'oppo' but, despite our territory and a number of players trying their best (Mitch was superb - can we keep him...please?), we never properly tested the away keeper and United scored the solitary goal with their solitary incisive attack (despite copious moments menacing our defence), their forwards cutting thorough our retreating midfield and defence like butter for Horatio Hirst to score in first half stoppage time.

One big problem, like Saturday, was that the visitors challenged and cut down space all the time, whereas we didn't. We also lacked a cutting edge up front, which was really disappointing. I encouraged as much as I could but didn't clap the side off. Losing to a limited team like that didn't deserve the plaudits.

While I'm at it, various gripes, only one of which is from me so I'm the messenger to be shot at. Used to it, mind you. The online programme wasn't available when I checked at 7.10 tonight, match reports are on the tardy side (especially when we lose), visiting fans (and one or two of ours) have complained the club's phone number isn't easy to find on the front page of our website in case they need to call to see if the game's on, and someone asked if our results / the league table could be brought up to date.

Glad to be groundhopping on Saturday. I need a break from this for a few days.

yep i agree this is not good fair play to ben bringing in them 2 players but we came up way short ,its seems to me the players just cant do nothing right mind you decision making shocking miss reading headers to concede a goal is shocking !! and holding on to the ball when you can slip a player in or just being greedy in possesstion is not good even when the shot is clearly not on , thought we went long far to much there was spells of slick passing but not enough, max wasted holding think scott much better in that position ,fact is again offered nothing upfront again if you cant score goals you cant win fact !! we have to change our fortunes and quick plummeting down the table rapido

Nobody is enjoying this run of results. We need to come together as a club to support the management and players through this tricky patch.

Our loyal supporters are highly valued at Ashford Town, as Jimmy Armfield said in his final interview, "without supporters there is no football club" but a little more encouragement during matches would be much appreciated.

I’ve been to a lot of games home and away this season and NEVER seen anyone shout abuse or slag off the team while the game is in play.

In the bar before/after the game people have their opinion on the team and players and we discuss this over a pint but as far as I know The only thing shouted from the sideline is encouragement.

I must admit, being the main forum reporter and a regular online programme reader, I wondered if I was the main 'encouragement' target.     :wacko:

There's the odd shout from the crowd during a game, mostly in frustration. I certainly don't turn up with the intention of griping (and I never complain at a player by his name), as football's my release valve and in some ways my salvation at present.

The players and dugout staff shouldn't be worried about last night, as virtually all the bile was actually aimed at the ref. It's not really good show to chuckle, but some of us were laughing out loud at the comments made by one particular chap who probably won't be sending the ref a Christmas card!

For what it's worth, the performance was much better than Saturday and a step or two back in the right direction (though we need to make more steps? puts on tin hat).

Regarding the query and answer re the club's phone number on the website, I guess some people are either not conversant with our website and some are groundhoppers / fans of teams whose game's off (two people who queried this were Staines Town fans who watched us on Saturday) who are probably in a panic to find a game due to weather conditions and would like to see the phone number as soon as they open up our front page. Just a thought.

Good precise and prompt match report on our website. No worries about previous reports' content, the reports always did what they said on the tin, just nice that it was on a tad faster. The chap who asked that I mention it will be pleased.

Funny enough, I did say to a couple of people at half time 1) where did we get two minutes of first half stoppage time when there had been no goals, substitutions or injuries and 2) how did the ref find even more time to add on, in which time The Ducks scored?

Archived