Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dorking Wanderers v Enfield Town

littlehampton

Looking forward to our first ever visit to the Westhumble Community Stadium this evening, where we face Dorking in our next Bostik League Premier Division fixture. This may also be our last visit to this ground, as Wanderers will be moving, sometime in the near future, to their new MeadowBank Stadium a short distance away.

After securing promotion last season, Wanderers have settled well in the Premier Division, and produced some decent results. Town beat them 3-2 in a tight game, at the QEII Stadium earlier in the season, but will need to dig deep tonight, and put in a good shift, with plenty of pride, passion and determination, if we are to get a result against very capable opponents.

Best of luck to Andy and the boys. COYT

There are fantastic views from the Westhumble ground, especially of the famous Box Hill.

Have a great evening.

An enjoyable second half which was given an edge to it by some inept refereeing and a whinging moaning Dorking side.... MOM for me was Samir with some tireless work both ends... would have liked us to have played our strongest team against a side we had more chance of beating.... but if we get a result Saturday it can be justified.....

My first game for a few weeks ... Turned out to be an enjoyable evening overall with a great last 15-20 minutes to the game!

Glad to have got to see their old ground before it is demolished end of season. Met up with a friend of mine who lives in Basingstoke (and stewards for them), but comes from Dorking originally. I learnt from him how this Dorking side had climbed the leagues dramatically in recent seasons. The stand behind the goal we sat in during the 1st half has gone up since he was last there Boxing Day - believe because they werent in their new ground and had a 31 Mar deadline for getting a ground up to Bostik prem standard!! Crazy!! 

So onto the football - early on Dorking very much controlled the tempo, and always looked to play it out from the back, with the goalie often involved - (we should be able to do this more!) Dorking took an early lead but after that we got into the game more and a lot of the action at the end we were attacking - lots of corners, some good runs by Blake (though should have shot rather than crossed on a few occasions - lack of confidence there - but credit to him for making the runs and the space). But Dorking held up pretty well.

Second half saw an early 2nd goal and it felt like game over - ref overruled linesman's offside flag - AL understandably v frustrated - but you play to the whistle and the players should know this

Enfield huffed and puffed and put effort in but the overall quality wasn't always evident. 

Fair play to the aggressive substitutions to get back into the game with 3 attacking players all coming on in Simon, Dernell and Junior - I have commented in the past that we leave them too late - but this gave them a chance to make an impact.

The 1st goal was a terrible howler from the keeper - an innocuous cross straight at the goalie saw it slip through his hands - think the announcer declared it as an own goal. - Well he was wearing a pink macron top that looked just like our away kit - so maybe a closet ETFC fan!

This fortune gave us real momentum and we created 3-4 good chances - hit woodwork, goalie fingertip save, before we bundled one in at the death.

Players determination couldn't be faulted and a deserved point. 

Couple of things-

Strange that Kirby is out on loan as we couldnt give him game time yet Adam Martin filling in at CB?

Mention of Simon Thomas - came on and hassled the goalie, really unsettling him - won some good headers and link ups

Get the resting some players with Saturday in mind, but Parcell and Blackman I would say are 2 of our fittest players - as well as 2 of our better players - so I was surprised to see them both benched - could they be nursing minor injuries?

Difficult to think of a MOM - probably agree with Theo - Samir was very good.

So how good is the squad now - well the recent signings have certainly improved it - I would say we need another 3 or 4 good players added if we are to challenge for the play offs next season.

So onto Saturday - and with Bi££ericay drawing last night, they are now 3 points clear of Dulwich same games played - so if we win we can open it right up and help Dulwich - hopefully a noisy crowd can push us on there! 

Up The Town!

Kirby going out on loan may be down a difference of opinion with the management rather than just about getting fit.

Two positives out of all the negatives

1.The left side is looking promising now with Samir/Greene/Campbell 

2.The way we score goals late in games show good fitness and comittment

Praise for Samir??

Surely it was Samir left the winger for the first goal and also left him a couple of times after that but as the game went on the winger went deeper and Samir had an easier time.

I felt that for most of the match Dorking had method - ping it out wide and run on. Our method was not apparent. For too many occasions our wingers were left out wide on their own without support players. However agree that the second half was much better. I will not comment on the lino's flag as I didn't see it but agree that you play to the whistle.  Our defender stopped running and merely raised his arm.

My first game for a few weeks ... Turned out to be an enjoyable evening overall with a great last 15-20 minutes to the game!

Glad to have got to see their old ground before it is demolished end of season.

No talk of demolition as I understand it.   BUT with massive need for housing, who knows what lies in store.

Steph... we have had this problem all season.. if AL wants our backs Micky Samir or Aaron to go forward he has to put cover in behind... it has made MP look out of position a hundred times this season.... not rocket science but obviously beyond our management capabilities....

Theo, your getting to sound like me, only kidding, keep up the good work.

I hope that my views have improved a bit as I am starting to see many things slightly differently since I've been laid up for so long. But as I have said before it's been good reading every ones comments on the forum.

Fortunately we haven't got long before next season starts by which time I hope that on the field we see some new faces and we have more to cheer about. 

Things do get better, I drove my car to day for the first time since last October, can't be all bad!!!!

We can have eleven new faces 4WF but if the management team can't set them up properly then it's all meaningless....it would be enlightening to know how many goals we have conceded after losing possession in the oppos half .... I said this months ago that teams have us sussed... wait till the backs get forward then play it into acres of space ... poor old Micky must be sick to death of watching the ball fly over his head knowing no one is behind him .... I think me and you 4WF should put our names forward as the next management team.....I think 17th in the table is as poor this group of players could do.....

If you see the problem and others see it too, Theo, why was it not dealt with months ago. Your proposition of management sounds appealing but I am well past my sell by date. Although at times I feel that applies to quite a few people in management. Also I tend to be a bit to nostalgic for the past and feel it's time for younger managers, who have a fresher outlook, to be given their chance. That's why I wrote about this on the forum at the beginning of the current season when the opportunity arose. But that is now history.

To be truthful I would also find it difficult, at my age, to accept the criticism handed out by OLD GIT's like me. 

Thanks LS, I hope to get there to morrow weather permitting. If not I will certainly try to see the last Home game.

Having just read some of the comments on last nights match, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a poor match, and another dire showing (after Harrow) from the Town who, after going two goals down, salvaged the match, pulling two back late in the game, to come away from the Westhumble Community Stadium with a rather lucky point. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

I am sure that the majority of the Town faithful, who witnessed this game, would agree that it was a thoroughly entertaining, well contested match. Generally (whatever their weaknesses) Town performed well, against a very capable, young Wanderers side, and came very close to securing all three points, which on the balance of play in the second half, were probably deserved.

So, on to Billericay tomorrow. Many Towners have been looking forward to this match all season, and it promises to be a real corker of a match, with no holds barred, in front of a big crowd, with a great atmosphere guaranteed, from start to finish. Definitely worth the admission price, and definitely not one to miss!

We're playing the League leaders, title favourites, on our own patch, and they need to win. Looking at the League table, some sceptics will give us no chance. They may be right, but Town are improving and with home advantage tomorrow afternoon, they might(?)produce a stellar performance, show their true potential, and spring a surprise. Fingers crossed - we'll see!

Enjoy the match and let's hear plenty of support for Andy and the lads.

Good luck everyone. See you there tomorrow!

Up the Town.

Archived