Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Under 25 League

Heard a rumour tonight that the reserve/Under 25 League is being binned off for the remainder of the season with the exception of a couple of clubs, due to a fixture back log. Anyone else heard that?

I haven't heard anything, although I notice that on FullTime even though there are U25 games scheduled for as late as May 12th, a lot of outstanding games remain unscheduled.

Apart from that, I know that one Spartan Premier club is definitely pulling out, and will be playing a reserve side in the Herts County next season.  

I’ve heard the same about clubs wanting to go to the county league next season. Seems the u25 experiment is failing and clubs are voting with their feet.

Wake up Jonno. There is no under 25 division this season. It is a development division.

There is no 25 year age limit in the rules the FA forced the league to adopt at the last AGM for this and division 2. Teams can play all their old registered players including first teamers, so clubs should be able to raise sides and complete the season.

It was not well publicised. Wonder if any other clubs are like yours!

Last time I looked it was called the Under 25 Development Division on the FA Full Time website. As far as the ruling goes, I’m obviously not up to speed!! Seems silly to call it an under 25 division when it’s not!!

• 2 weeks later...

Daft calling it a development league too. Where is the development part of it. 

An email from the SSML Fixture Secretary has been circulated today suggesting that because of 'difficulties' in re-arranging games, eight games which have no bearing on the top of the table should be called 0-0 draws, or declared void.  Only those games which can affect the league title should be re-arranged.

Cockfosters are the club most affected, with three of the eight games concerning them.  As last night's Cockfosters v Berkhamsted game was postponed because no referee was available, this can presumably also be added to the list.

And they wonder why clubs are leaving...

All these games could have been played in August before the bad weather, if the division had started when it should have. Lack of referees was the reason the start of the season was put back a month.

The league should get some more refs and start earlier next season! The FA are making it easier as they will be insisting on smaller divisions for the first teams next season, so they ought to be available for development games.

I preferred it a couple of seasons ago, before this ridiculous notion of an under 25 development league, when the reserve league was regionalised. No mental journeys on a Tuesday night, some nice local derbies, no daft age restrictions dressed up as a chance to encourage youth football and all in all a good league to play in. Unfortunately the league decided to tinker with the format, probably because the FA waved a few quid under their noses as an incentive, and now we find ourselves in a big mess with many teams opting to look elsewhere for their second string next season. Bravo SSMFL!!

I preferred it a couple of seasons ago, before this ridiculous notion of an under 25 development league, when the reserve league was regionalised. No mental journeys on a Tuesday night, some nice local derbies, no daft age restrictions dressed up as a chance to encourage youth football and all in all a good league to play in. Unfortunately the league decided to tinker with the format, probably because the FA waved a few quid under their noses as an incentive, and now we find ourselves in a big mess with many teams opting to look elsewhere for their second string next season. Bravo SSMFL!!

Spot on, wondering how much of that money has been used for the “development” league.

The amount of cash sloshing around in the league account is frightening. You’d think they’d give something back to the clubs and distribute a bit of wealth, and I’m not talking a free Molten football (which are terrible by the way....)

Sorry don't agree. the balls are fine. No complaints from anyone to me this season or last. Normally some players or managers complain but not recently.

We can agree to disagree. I think the balls are terrible. But let’s not allow that to detract from the point I’m making about the amount of money in the leagues bank account, money that has largely come from its member clubs by way of fines and fees, sloshing around and doing next to nothing. Time to give something back in my opinion.

Perhaps they can increase refs fees and contribute. Hoping the standard will improve

That would be a good idea, I’m sure some would argue the refs are better at reffing than most of the players are at playing at this level ?

They are increasing the refs fees by 30% next season. Most clubs very unhappy with this increase. It will be a all in fee totalling £149 per Premier Division game. The Ass Refs will get a whopping £47 each.

They are increasing the refs fees by 30% next season. Most clubs very unhappy with this increase. It will be a all in fee totalling £149 per Premier Division game. The Ass Refs will get a whopping £47 each.

That’s a lot, probably desperate to attract people to do it. Let’s face it some of the $hit they have to deal with is totally ridiculous