Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Billericay Town

AnfieldTowner

I am afraid that I chicken out of going yesterday as I am still lacking confidence to get out and about. I am sure it will get better.

However, I was more than pleased to see we held them to a draw. Most of all I take a certain delight that we have slowed Ricky's march for the league title which "money bags" assumed was their divine right.

That said having noted OT's remarks about missed chances it seems that Ward-Cochrane continues to help Potter Bar to promotion. It seems that it could be quite probable for him to be playing against us next year, subject to how the new leagues are restructured. 

That is why I endorse OT's other post  " Look closer to home". I would suggest that AL puts his little black book back in the archives, and adopts OT's advice.

Probably sounds harsh but from reading the comments over the  past 6 months one notices two constant recurring themes, one about team set-up and the other the lack of finishing power. You has to ask yourself whose responsibility is this?

Like many others I look forward to changes for next season.

Yes some pretty weak finishing with a bit of bad luck with the keeper saving a few with his goolies and sitting on one.....a very moderate Billericay side to be honest and a very subdued atmosphere... deserved a point... no one outstanding... off to Burgess Tuesday ....

Pleased again with the point, the team are showing good resilience and the number of games recently in which we've grabbed last minute equalisers is encouraging.

The football being played remains largely disappointing though - I thought changes needed to be made earlier and, when they happened, we needed to change the shape rather than replacing like with like. Brad Wadkins is working hard but not looking like scoring many - nor will he unless we can get somebody closer to him. The league table doesn't lie and 18th is nowhere near good enough.

We have actually been in 18th place after matches 2, 11,17,32 and 42 which suggests to me that we have been more consistently poor, particularly away from home where on results we lie in the bottom three. Nonetheless I perceive that we have been playing better in recent weeks. The squad is stronger but we also need a quality central defender to play alongside Mitchell King. I am now just hoping we retain our better players  and that we  hit the ground running next season.

As above .. we could have won the game given the number of chances we had, and when you score at the end like that it does feel like a win!

First half we started very strongly, with the crowd doing a great job of getting behind the team, but then Ricay scored. I thought at the time it was a weak goal, and seeing the replays on twitter confirm this.. yes Cunnington is a giant but you cant let him get free, and perhaps Joe could have got there first as he headed it in the 6 yard box.

We did enough in the first half to have been level  - Aaron took a touch too many  when he had a great chance, various crosses were hacked away by their panicky defence (how/why they let Ellul go ...!), and we had some good corners too

Second half I missed what I understand was a great chance in the opening minute (still getting my tea!). Throughout the half we created more than they did, though Joe made a great save and they hit the post when they should have scored.

I felt that the subs could have been made a bit earlier - and they didnt feel as effective as they were on Thursday night. Nevertheless we kept plugging away, and 3 last minute goals in 8 days shows the never-say-die attitude. I was surpised Ryan Blake didnt start after a strong game Thursday and was really pleased for him.

- Ryan Blackman was deserved MOTM - but I thought Sam Youngs was great too - and is twice the player he was at the start of the season

- Brad and Aaron both had quieter games by their standards 

- Bench looked imbalanced with 4 out of the 5 being attacking players - if we had a 1st minute injury in defence/midfield could have been an issue. Noto and John K were there but neither selected?

- The overall quality of the play is still not where it needs to be - with the quality of Youngs/Samir/Aaron/Tyler/Mickey we should be able to play a higher standard of football and keep possession more

And as for Billericay - didnt look like a team that much better than us, the video on twitter of O Hara swearing at our fans as he walks off is terrible. Their kit man has insulted our club (now deleted) and their fans are whinging that we manhandled them!

Shame Dulwich didnt take advantage as they drew as well - but still very open. 

I agree 53S's but our perception of whom we consider are our better players may not be that of the manager. We will have to wait and see.

I do feel you have left out Joe Wright from your list. From what I saw up to mid-October and have read since he has performed miracles considering what has been in front of him at times.

I sometimes wonder whether the Board ever meet to analyse the season. It's may be interesting for them to note that in Steve Newing's first season in this league he finished 16th. This he achieved by him playing many players, assumed by some, to be well below the standard required for this league. It would be nice if we could achieve that this year.

RG mentioned five players then you add Joe... Add to that Blackman Mitchell-King Johnson and Wadkins who all came with good reputations then you almost have a full team of good individual players so why are we 18th ... to me we have two options for next season... clear out the players or believe in the players and being in new ideas... it's obvious the management team cannot get the best out of this group of players.... opinions would be very welcome.....

Another decent point yesterday and a good performance. In order to improve for next season a quality central defender and an out and out goal scorer are needed. I take the point about Ward-Cochrane doing well at PBT, but from the games I've seen at Ware, Cheshunt and Hertford this season the standard is quite a bit different in that league compared to this one. There seems to be a lot of players in the squad so perhaps a bit of a clear out needs to be done. Now is a crucial time in recruiting players for next season and I'm sure that Andy and Darren are on the case, having missed out on this period last year.

AL has brought in a number of players throughout the season that have improved the squad, but it means the team has not yet fully settled - close season will allow him to gel the right squad with a few additions, and more regular games for the youngsters if they can hopefullly step up (Beattie, QC, Hockney, Junior). 

- We need a solid pre-season against tougher opposition than this pre season (Chelmsford aside no one even at our level in 2017) to allow AL to get the right set up from Week 1

- We need at least one CB   --- Vilcu, Joseph, Ellul would all improve our squad and are currently playing at our level or lower

- A goalscorer - Sykes at Canvey (can Ryan B have a word with his ex team mate??), will Bobby D return to form after a year out ?

- We need to decide on our formation  - if we are to play with wing back type players then should we play with 3 at the back? There have been a number of comments on the forum about this weakness in our set up leaving space behind the full backs

- And if we are to play direct balls up we need to be able to hold the ball up better (Ottaway?)

I reckon we have the nucleus of a good side  - Andy needs to be given time to shape it. 

Our target next year must be the play offs - especially assuming the restructure means we will be in a weaker league (assuming Ricay & Dulwich go up, and we get 7 teams added from the league below). 

The play-offs being attainable come Xmas time would be the target I would expect the club to set.

Archived