Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Billericay Town

AnfieldTowner

Been away for a couple of days with the family so only just able to comment on Saturday’s game but interesting to do so having read others comments prior.

MOM for me by a country mile was Matt Johnson. He worked tirelessly and has given us the energy and power in the midfield we’ve been lacking. I do like Ryan Blackman as a footballer but my personal opinion is that he at times gets unwarranted high praise regardless of his performance! I would also prefer to see another more natural captain in place such as Mitchell-King, Johnson or even Joe Wright.

Another disappointing performance from Bradley Wadkins. He seems devoid of confidence and missed another guilt edged chance before being substituted.

Aaron Greene had played really well at left back previously but once moved back further forward for this game he became ineffective again, as was Tyler.

In the end a long ball forward caused some havoc and we sneaked a late equaliser so credit to the team for persevering but we probably could have won it if we’d taken our earlier chances.

I also agree with the earlier post on squad and bench selection. It seemed unbalanced and there were a couple of players not included in Noto and Hope that surprised me.

Joe Wirght Skipper?

It is my view that Goalies as captains never works. They are often too far from the action and, if they are close to the action have their mind on other things.

A skipper has to work hard, have the confidence of other players and know when to criticise and when to encourage. It is my view that Ryan does that and is also consistent in his performance. I cannot recall when I have seen him have a bad game. At Dorking on Thursday he was not in the squad but went out with the team and gave encouragement to the players as they came off at half time. He shows a maturity which, at times, is lacking from the other members of the squad.

I don’t disagree with any of that Steph. I don’t like goalkeepers as captains either. I made the point more to show the lack of natural candidates. Other than Johnson and Mitchell King, other more senior and obvious candidates (Thomas, Hope, Noto and formerly Kirby) appear to not be regular starters in the team.

I just feel that the other 2 players mentioned would be more natural choices at this point.

Archived