Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 13-December 17 )

• Photo
    hairbear

• Photo
    Ramschav

• Photo
    Hitby

Photo

Matt Curruthers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
14 replies to this topic

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Foes: Dartford
As reported in the Messenger, the club made an offer to Dover for Matt Curruthers, but that bid was turned down.

The fee required by Dover would have made Curruthers the club's most expensive signing, and Andy has decided not to proceed further at this stage.

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
The Dover Chairman's comments make for interesting reading - he refers to us being unlikely to meet Matt's terms for going full-time. Why would we employ him as full time when we are a part-time side?

From dover-athletic.co.uk:

Dover Athletic have rejected a bid from Conference side Gravesend & Northfleet for versatile forward Matt Carruthers. Dover director Steve Cattermole explained why the offer was not accepted:

"[Dover chairman] Mick [Kemp] has received an offer for Matt from Gravesend, but it is below our valuation. It is unlikely that Gravesend would be able to meet Matt's terms for going full time."

27-year-old Carruthers, currently five years into his second spell with the Whites, is Dover's longest serving current player and originally came through the Whites' youth setup making his first team debut in August 1994. He has played over 200 games for Athletic, scored 38 goals and played in every outfield position except central defence.

Carruthers, who last month signed a three-year extension to his contract, impressed Fleet boss Andy Ford in last week's Kent Senior Cup quarter-final at Stonebridge Road. He scored two expertly taken goals in a 3-0 victory for the Whites.

offline Stu M

Stu M
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Given the money we were likely to be paying for him and his goals ratio, while he'd've been a 'nice-to-have' I think the money may be better spent elsewhere.

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Foes: Dartford
I think he was worth what we offered, I'm pleased that we didn't go any further, having seen his record.

offline Guest__*

Guest__*
  • rank
The reason for his goal ratio is that he doesn't usually play up front. He started off as a forward but over the last three or four seasons he has been mainly used as a right wing-back or right midfielder (he has occasionally played on the left as well). The only time he plays up front is when we have lots of injuries or a resting players in lesser matches.

offline ifa

ifa
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
So for 'versatile forward' read 'versatile right wing back or right midfielder who occasionally plays on the left as well'

Havent we got enough of these already?

offline Hempstead Gaz

Hempstead Gaz
Definitely not worth over £15,000. Far better value for money would be Tait of Folkstone, a quick, young striker, albeit playing at a lower level.
Neil Cugley and Tommy Sampson both rate him very highly, it is always worth listen to the opinions of these two respected local managers.
Worth an offer ?

offline FleetFanatic

FleetFanatic
I'd say Tait is out of the question - has been out injured (hamstring) for nearly 2 weeks and looks doubtful for the next 2 weeks.

offline old git

old git
  • Reserves
having watched him at dover for 2 years he would not be any better than what we have 2 inconsistant

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Seems likely Carruthers wouldn't have signed even if Dover had accepted the offer. With Abbey out, Oli back at QPR and ROB HAWORTH absent for the Stevanage game due to suspension (according to Reporter I think!) we need a fit, quality striker and quick.

Doubts over whether Margate will finish the season mean its all the more important our Home games are won. With Strikers missing for 1 reason or another this isn't going to be easy.

Even with money in the bank, the article below reflects how difficult it must be for Andy to attract a top quality striker or 2 if they all think along the same lines as Carruthers:

From www.dover-athletic.co.uk:

CARRUTHERS NOT INTERESTED IN GRAVESEND SWITCH
Whites Star Staying Put
Friday 16 January 2004

By Matt Gerrard / Daniel Dyer
Matt Carruthers has said that he is not interested in signing for Conference side Gravesend & Northfleet. The club this week turned down a bid from the North Kent club for the 27-year-old but Carruthers insists that even if the club had accepted the offer he would not be keen on the move. Speaking to Matt Gerrard Carruthers said:

"I am happy at Dover and I don't class making a move to Gravesend as progressive for my career. I have a recently signed a new two year contract at Dover and though if the opportunity arose to play full time football I would think long and hard about it, I can confirm I will not be leaving Dover to play for Gravesend and Northfleet."

offline Stu M

Stu M
Che said something along similar lines when joining Margate as I recall, and look at him now...

offline Gordon T

Gordon T
  • First XI - Sub
Fair dos to him staying loyal to Dover, but I dont see how his career will progress at any faster rate then if he joined us and started to score, thus helping us stay up.

offline John@TheFleet

John@TheFleet
  • Reserves Coach
I didn't think Curruthers was any better than Louie Evans so why bother? Let's face it, even Dartford would have scored against us that night.

offline fat fleet bloke

fat fleet bloke
  • Onlooker
sorry john i'm a big louis fan but......carruthers was is quality ..the sort that gravesend could do with. lets pay and take that chance

offline John@TheFleet

John@TheFleet
  • Reserves Coach
But he doesn't want to sign for us even if Dover accepted our offer. We need someone who'se good and WANTS to play for the club. 38 goals in 200 appearances is not the sort of strike rate we're looking for anyway. Duku could do that!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus