Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Matt Curruthers

As reported in the Messenger, the club made an offer to Dover for Matt Curruthers, but that bid was turned down.

The fee required by Dover would have made Curruthers the club's most expensive signing, and Andy has decided not to proceed further at this stage.

The Dover Chairman's comments make for interesting reading - he refers to us being unlikely to meet Matt's terms for going full-time. Why would we employ him as full time when we are a part-time side?

From dover-athletic.co.uk:

Dover Athletic have rejected a bid from Conference side Gravesend & Northfleet for versatile forward Matt Carruthers. Dover director Steve Cattermole explained why the offer was not accepted:

"[Dover chairman] Mick [Kemp] has received an offer for Matt from Gravesend, but it is below our valuation. It is unlikely that Gravesend would be able to meet Matt's terms for going full time."

27-year-old Carruthers, currently five years into his second spell with the Whites, is Dover's longest serving current player and originally came through the Whites' youth setup making his first team debut in August 1994. He has played over 200 games for Athletic, scored 38 goals and played in every outfield position except central defence.

Carruthers, who last month signed a three-year extension to his contract, impressed Fleet boss Andy Ford in last week's Kent Senior Cup quarter-final at Stonebridge Road. He scored two expertly taken goals in a 3-0 victory for the Whites.

The reason for his goal ratio is that he doesn't usually play up front. He started off as a forward but over the last three or four seasons he has been mainly used as a right wing-back or right midfielder (he has occasionally played on the left as well). The only time he plays up front is when we have lots of injuries or a resting players in lesser matches.

Seems likely Carruthers wouldn't have signed even if Dover had accepted the offer. With Abbey out, Oli back at QPR and ROB HAWORTH absent for the Stevanage game due to suspension (according to Reporter I think!) we need a fit, quality striker and quick.

Doubts over whether Margate will finish the season mean its all the more important our Home games are won. With Strikers missing for 1 reason or another this isn't going to be easy.

Even with money in the bank, the article below reflects how difficult it must be for Andy to attract a top quality striker or 2 if they all think along the same lines as Carruthers:

From www.dover-athletic.co.uk:

CARRUTHERS NOT INTERESTED IN GRAVESEND SWITCH

Whites Star Staying Put

Friday 16 January 2004

By Matt Gerrard / Daniel Dyer

Matt Carruthers has said that he is not interested in signing for Conference side Gravesend & Northfleet. The club this week turned down a bid from the North Kent club for the 27-year-old but Carruthers insists that even if the club had accepted the offer he would not be keen on the move. Speaking to Matt Gerrard Carruthers said:

"I am happy at Dover and I don't class making a move to Gravesend as progressive for my career. I have a recently signed a new two year contract at Dover and though if the opportunity arose to play full time football I would think long and hard about it, I can confirm I will not be leaving Dover to play for Gravesend and Northfleet."