Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Folkestone away

Steph1

Very impressive performance yesterday away at the side finishing 4th last season. You never quite know what you're going to get in the first game and we might have feared the worst going 1-0 down early on. Some things to work on but I thought we were the best team for most of the afternoon and thoroughly deserved the win.

Liam worked their centre backs hard for most of the afternoon and I think that opened the door for Brandon Adams to blow them away with his pace late on. Some really encouraging performances from the new boys gelling well with those retained from last year. Great persistence to come back from behind twice.

Really good to see the 3 subs  (including Mickey Parcell and the match-winner) and young Mason who will get his chance at some stage still working hard on their fitness after the game. Good win for the U23s at home too!

Wow ... what a great start to the season!

I had seen 4 of the  pre- season games and had been impressed with the way the squad was coming together, but how they would gel competitively against a strong side was always going to be a big test .. and we most certainly passed!

The starting line up was largely what I was expecting, knowing that Blackman was unavailable and Bricknell had come off on Tues with an injury - no point in risking our star signing being out for longer.

I did think Adams may have started over Hope, but Hope has put in some good performances in pre-season, and is not just going to sit on the bench for us. Plus maybe Andy felt the Folkestone defence were big, so Liam would be a better starting choice?

I would also have had Hockney on the bench after his Tues night hat trick - especially with Billy having had a knock?

The game itself was very enjoyable - we always tried to play good football, and certainly deserved the win .. we came from behind TWICE and never gave up. 

Both goals we conceded need work on in training, cross from our right for the 1st and allowing their player to turn and shoot on the 2nd, but lets remember the 4 defenders all joined us in the close season!

Fair to say our frustrations last year were around the defence and lack of an overall goalscorer. A new defence, and Adams/Bricknell vs Drew Roberts/Simon Thomas is no comparison!

Great atmosphere behind the goal, and I think there is a real air of optimism around the club as a whole. Fair play to the board who have invested in the quality of players we have brought in. With 6 of last seasons top 8 not being in our league this year, and with 4th placed Folkestone despatched yesterday, I feel really optimistic. 

Get to the game against Stortford Tues night if you can - we are looking like a real team, so lets cheer them on to another 3 points!!

Team selection wise for Tues, I think Adams has done enough to earn a start, and I would put Mickey in at right back.

Stortford lost 4-0 at home to AFC Rushden in pre season, who we beat at their place. Bet Victor Enfield 6/5, BS 15/8)

Up The Town!

Archived