Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3G PITCHES AND CANCER

• 1 year later...

This was an interesting thread from a while ago and I am surprised the topic wasn't debated further following serious concerns that the rubber crumbs used for 3G surfaces can be a cause of cancer with the rubber originating from a variety of dubious sources including the petro-chemical industry and the pellets from old car tyres that contain toxic chemicals, carcinogens, mercury, lead, benzene and arsenic. The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) are responsible for declaring 3G surfaces safe to play on and scientific research says that numerous studies have found no evidence of a link but campaigners argue that the reports have not examined the effect of swallowing the small rubber pellets covering such pitches which goalkeepers have been known to do or the pellets become lodged in leg or arm graze or cut getting into the blood stream: 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sru-files/files/hps_3g_pitch_use_of_tyre_crumb_infill_review_and_conclusions_nov_2017.pdf

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/is-3g-position-statement-premature.html

That's interesting, Rhodsey.

I'm sure we'll hear more in the future.  A bit like the cancer scare over mobile phones and phone masts a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:

This was an interesting thread from a while ago and I am surprised the topic wasn't debated further following serious concerns that the rubber crumbs used for 3G surfaces can be a cause of cancer with the rubber originating from a variety of dubious sources including the petro-chemical industry and the pellets from old car tyres that contain toxic chemicals, carcinogens, mercury, lead, benzene and arsenic. The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) are responsible for declaring 3G surfaces safe to play on and scientific research says that numerous studies have found no evidence of a link but campaigners argue that the reports have not examined the effect of swallowing the small rubber pellets covering such pitches which goalkeepers have been known to do or the pellets become lodged in leg or arm graze or cut getting into the blood stream: 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/sru-files/files/hps_3g_pitch_use_of_tyre_crumb_infill_review_and_conclusions_nov_2017.pdf

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/is-3g-position-statement-premature.html

Never heard that before and you can't rule anything out these days ?

3 minutes ago, Big J R said:

I'm sure we'll hear more in the future.  A bit like the cancer scare over mobile phones and phone masts a few years ago.

Yep I'm sure that will happen.

I've got a groundsman mate I'm going to have a word with him and see what he says about it.

I see that Billericay Town are the latest Club to put down a 3G surface, one thing you have to agree with them about in their statement is 'pitch inspection farces' as in the SSML this season games have been called off far too late in the day by over zealous or 'jobsworth' Officials. Also the Concord Rangers v Royston Town FA Trophy Quarter Final postponement on 29 February was 'criminal' at 2.05pm when six coach loads of Royston Town fans had already arrived at the ground:

https://nonleaguedaily.com/no-more-pitch-inspection-farces-at-billericay/?mc_cid=74f9859871&mc_eid=7d1c13b1e4#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=no-more-pitch-inspection-farces-at-billericay

“Work on the main pitch, to install a new, top-quality, artificial surface, will start this week as planned. This will be complete for early September and ensure both that we won’t lose matches to the weather – no more ‘pitch inspection’ farces – and that the club becomes a base for both training and matches for our senior teams and as many others as we can comfortably accommodate.”

I honestly believe 3G IS the way forward.

Funding will be the prolem, especially after COVID19 is dealt with.

31 minutes ago, Big J R said:

I honestly believe 3G IS the way forward.

Funding will be the prolem, especially after COVID19 is dealt with.

I prefer grass but for non league football clubs 3g is the way forward.

On 07/05/2020 at 12:05, Savagebee said:

Maybe there is something to it.  Only time will tell.

• 1 month later...

A lot of painstaking research seems to have been put in here on another Forum to list all of Great Britain's artificial pitches for the 2019/20 campaign, I don't know how accurate it is but any amendments, updates and changes were invited and the SSML is covered:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-great-britain-artificial-pitches-2019-20.79/

Spartan South Midlands. (19/20)
Brimsdown @ Wodson Park, Wadesmill Rd, Ware, SG12 0UQ. (Ware FC)
Crawley Green @ The Brache, Gipsy Lane, Luton, LU1 3JH
Edgware Town @ Silver Jubilee Park, Townsend Lane, Kingsbury, NW9 7NE
Park View @ New River Stadium , White Hart Lane, Wood Green, N22 5QW
Rayners Lane @ Tithe Farm Sports And Social Club, 151 Rayners Lane, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 0XH

• 4 months later...

Not cancer related but there is a thread on another Forum entitled 'Football grounds with an outside 3G pitch', so far Dunstable Town, Hillingdon Borough, London Lions and Wembley from the SSML are covered. I think everyone over there is as bored as we are at the moment, roll on Saturday 5 December:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threadsfootball-grounds-with-an-outside-3g-pitch.3132/page-2

• 2 months later...

This is a painstaking and useful list/register, produced by the FA, of all the FA and FIFA approved 3G pitches throughout the Country for the 2020/21 campaign with helpful links to all of them, it's such a shame that they have barely been used for almost a year now:

3G Pitch Register - The FA

Edited by Rhodes

• 4 months later...

Not cancer related however this is 'criminal' isn't it, Sport England have issued an objection to Melton Town's plans to convert their grass pitch to 3G however the United Counties League Premier Division North outfit have not asked for a penny piece from Sport England as the project will be privately funded. What has it got to do with Sport England who state that they are, wait for it, "concerned that there is not enough need for an additional 3G pitch in the local area":

Anger after Sport England opposes Melton club’s vital new 3G pitch | Melton Times

Billede

• 4 months later...

Again not cancer related but I see that former SSML Club Hertford Town reveal their new state of the art 3G surface at Hertingfordbury Park on Saturday 30 October in a friendly fixture against Hashtag United:

Billede

• 3 months later...
On 28/01/2021 at 15:04, Rhodes said:

This is a painstaking and useful list/register, produced by the FA, of all the FA and FIFA approved 3G pitches throughout the Country for the 2020/21 campaign with helpful links to all of them, it's such a shame that they have barely been used for almost a year now:

3G Pitch Register - The FA

There is a Iengthy thread on 3G pitches on another Forum, they appear to be aII the rage at the moment and the Iikes of former SSML CIub's Haringey Borough and Hertford Town haven't Iooked back since instaIIing them whereby their games were aIways the first to be caIIed off on grass: 

List of Great Britain Artificial pitches. 2021/22. Finished , always welcome more info . | Page 12 | NonLeagueMatters Forums

Edited by Rhodes

How far have Harpenden Town got out of interest with their pIans for a 3g surface at Rothamstead Park:  

Initial technical testing has been taking place at Rothamsted Park for a NEW all weather 3G Pitch! The pitch will be of great benefit not only to ourselves, but for the community of Harpenden as a whole!

• 1 month later...

Everything you wanted to know about 3G pitches but were afraid to ask, it's quite informative by company S&C SIatter

Artificial Turf Football Pitches - S&C Slatter (slattersportsconstruction.com)

• 9 months later...

Not cancer related but there is an interesting thread on another Forum entitled 'All Weather Pitches' which I am unable to post on here however here is a sample post and a link to a useful website advising on winter pitch maintenance for synthetic surfaces. SSML games at Thame United Reserves and Milton Keynes College Football Academy were called off recently and eyebrows were raised so maybe this explains it:

I don't think there are "all weather pitches" anymore, back in the early days, of what were called astroturf pitches, Club's could sweep the snow off. I remember going to a game at Feltham in the late 80s where this happened and they had a huge crowd by their standards of 750 as it was the only match on in the south of England that Saturday. Now with modern 3G and 4G pitches I don't think the snow can't be swept off as it affects the little black pellets in the pitch. So loads of matches on 3G were called off on Saturday. I also hear that modern 3G can't be used if the temperature goes below minus seven as the pitches freeze and are dangerous. Again this didn't happen in the 80s.

https://www.sispitches.com/winter-pitch-maintenance