Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Bedford Town

littlehampton

Good to drawn at home in the FA Cup today. An interesting match for everyone to look forward to. Be interested to hear other Towners thoughts, hopes, expectations for this match, which is worth quite a lot of prize money for the winners.

Great to get a home draw,Bedford Town are currently 5th in the Southern League div1 central Division.

Would be great to get a cup run going again,and even better to get the TV cameras over the stadium.BBC are showing 1 game live on the red button from each of the earlier rounds,they asked for viewers to contact them with their suggestions for future games.What better than the first fans owned club.

The FA Cup is one of the oldest and greatest competitions in world football. For non-league clubs, such as our own, it is an opportunity to show local pride, passion, and support, as our players fight for the chance to progress, and mix it with the biggest and best in later rounds, whilst generating much needed prize-money for our Club on the way.

There's nothing quite like a good old-fashioned FA Cup tie for producing joy, celebration, or heartbreak. The competition produces shocks and "giant-killing" upsets every year, and we all hope that The Town will cause a few major upsets this season, and maybe get the chance of playing at The Emirates, the new White Hart Lane, Anfield, or even perhaps Old Trafford.

The magic of the FA Cup beckons, and the dream starts on Saturday, when we host Bedford Town at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium. There is plenty at stake, not least 6,000 pounds for the winners, and already there is lots of interest. There are no Premier League matches next weekend, due to the England-Spain match at Wembley on Saturday evening, so an opportunity for Spurs and Arsenal fans to come along and support The Town, and enjoy a hard, well-contested FA Cup tie.

Should be quite a match - don't miss it! Let's see a big turn-out, and let's get behind Andy Leese and the boys, and help them turn the dream into reality!

Good luck everyone - see you there! COYT

With just a few short days to go before our FA Cup match with Bedford Town, nickname " The Eagles", a bit about our opponents illustrious history in this competition, and a quick at their most recent results in the Evo-Stik South League Division One Central, since the start of the 2018-19 season.

Bedford Town were founded in 1908, but it was not until the 1955-56 season that the Club started on the first of their great Cup runs, which saw them achieve national fame as "Giant-Killers", with a number of outstanding wins over Football League clubs, including Watford 3-2, Norwich 2-4, Newcastle 1-2, Exeter 1-2, Brighton 2-1, and Oxford 1-0. Perhaps their greatest achievement was to draw 2-2 with Arsenal at Highbury, in front of a crowd of over 55,000.They almost caused a major shock in the replay, leading 1-0 until 4 minutes from time, before going down 1-2 after extra time. What a proud history!

Back to the present. To date this season, after their first 4 league matches, Bedford Town are currently 8th in the table, with 2 wins and 2 defeats, having lost their last two matches, 3-2 away to Cambridge City, and 0-1 at home to Welwyn Garden City last Saturday.

Will "The Eagles" fly high at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium this Saturday, or will the men from Bedfordshire be grounded by "The Town", who are so far unbeaten in any competition, and determined to progress to the next round of the FA Cup?

Towners what do you think?  Let's hear your thoughts on how you think this match will go.

UPDATE

Bedford have already played in the FA Cup this season. In the Preliminary Round played on the 25th August, they beat Dereham Town 4-1 at home, to qualify to play us  this weekend. The attendance was 252.

Last night "The Eagles" played away to St Neots Town in The Southern League Challenge Cup and, having made a number of changes, were beaten 4-1.

Three days to go!

Let's hear from you Towners.

The Winner Takes It All !!

Less than 24hrs to go before non-league fans across the country are treated to the magic of the FA Cup as First Round Qualifying matches take place this Saturday, and the winners will receive a very welcome payment from The FA prize fund.

To understand how important a win against Bedford Town tomorrow is to our Club, you only have to look below at the prize money on offer per Round, which has been doubled by the FA this year, and now offers an enormous financial incentive to clubs to do well, and progress as far as they can in this prestigious national competition.

First Round Qualifying winners 6,000 pounds

Second Round Qualifying winners 9,000 pounds

Third Round Qualifying winners 15,000 pounds

Fourth Round Qualifying winners 25,000 pounds

First Round Proper winners 36,000 pounds

Second Round Proper winners 54,000 pounds

Third Round Proper winners 135,000 pounds

Fourth Round Proper winners 180,000 pounds

Fifth Round Proper winners 360,000 pounds

Quarter Final winners 720,000 pounds

Semi-Final winners 1,800,000 pounds

Semi-Final losers 900,000 pounds

Final runners-up 1,800,000 pounds

Final winners 3,600,000 pounds

As you can see, there is plenty at stake tomorrow, and losing is not an option, we need to win!

Let us know what you think, and let's hear it tomorrow for "THE TOWN" !!

This was a staggeringly inept performance.

It was SO bad that I decided to look back at our history of home matches since we got promoted to the Premier league. How often had we lost by three goals (or more) at home?

Well, this is our seventh season in this league and it's the seventh time we've lost by three goals or more at home.

In 2012-13 we lost 3-0 to Margate in the league under Steve Newing.

In 2013-14 we lost 3-0 to Wingate and Finchley in the league also under Steve.

In 2014-15 we lost 5-2 to Kingstonian under George Borg. and 4-0 to Maidstone under Bradley Quinton.

In 2015-16 no such defeats.

In 2016-17 we lost 4-1 to Hornchurch in the League Cup and 4-1 to Havant & Waterlooville in the league, both times under Bradley.

In 2017-18 no such defeats.

And now in 2018-19 we lost 3-0 to Bedford.

While no defeats of this nature are pleasant, one can at least look at the quality of our opponents in those games (or the fact that the League Cup wasn't a priority), sigh and just accept that they were better than us. But today, we were totally out-played at home by a team one league below us. 3-0 did not flatter them: it could have been more: Joe made a really great save within the first minute of the game!

I'd begun to think we had moved on from the long ball game (and the hopeful punt up-field from Joe) but that's what we did throughout this game. Why? Any fule could see that their 6 was going to win anything in the air.

I know we're 3rd= in the league at the moment, but it's worth bearing in mind that we've failed to win our last three games at home (including today) and have won only one of our last four and two of our last six games home and away.

Never mind Townies , There is always next season,   Now which one of you is going to say that it free's up the season for a crack at the league title.  :D  Come on somebody usually does  :lol:

Well done to Bedford , Seem's like  it was well deserved  :P  

Strange afternoon.   

Think may have been a big sign when Joe pulled off an amazing save in the opening minute with most fans switching ends.

It would be nice to know if the management team watch the games back......

One stat I'd like to know......in all the balls played long....and Joe does it from gk's most often.....how many of those balls played up to Liam or for a winger to head does the ball stick.    I don't subscribe but would love to know what the outcome is of those route one balls.   I know one thing....Joe usually looks very calm but angriest I've seen him yesterday  at half time when he was arguing that when he did play it out on the floor he was getting it back and then having to go long.

ISOLATION:    I think Liam does all he can up front on his own but I think the CB's for Bedford lapped up every header yesterday.    It just doesn't work and he ends up playing on an island.    Respect to him also for coming out and apologising soon after to the fans.

If a neutral were there yesterday it would look like the fluro team were the ones in the higher league.    We just weren't at the races.    Their 9 and 10 were capable players and gave us a lesson in link up play all afternoon.    Furthermore I thought their midfield seemed the stronger first half and we appeared to be playing in some form of daze.

Whilst we were playing at 4, 5 and 6 at best the whole Bedford squad seemed to playing 7's upward so it always looked like an uphill battle once they'd gone in front.  

I'd also say that regrettably our biggest problem this year seems to be keeping a clean sheet.   Joe was certainly the busier yesterday and again pulled off some amazing saves.

Maybe quite simplistic to say this however I'd favour us going to a 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3.   Simply put our front men need to be closer together.   I've lost count of the times I've seen Liam challenging and the next white shirt being 20/30yds away.

Either way I'm pretty certain that our very positive start to the season is looking very much like a turning point already.

Thoughts on yesterday .......seems to have gone very quiet on here recently.....and such a pity that with prize money going up our good run was last year.

Archived