Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Accrington go full-time

Stu M

Rory Prendergast's passport will say 'Professional Diver' now...

>>

Stanley to turn professional

Accrington Stanley have confirmed that they will go full-time this summer.

The former Football League club will report back for pre-season training in July as a fully professional club.

They will become the 13th Conference club to take on full-time status, unless they have clinched promotion to the Third Division by then.

"Hopefully it will help us to progress up the leagues," said Reds' chairman Eric Whalley.

"If you look at the Conference there are virtually two leagues.

If you are going to do it you have got to do it properly, so everybody goes full-time

"There is the top-half who, bar Aldershot and ourselves, are full-time and the bottom-half who are all part-time.

"I'm not saying you can't get promoted, and hopefully Aldershot and ourselves will get into the play-offs as part-time teams, but it is harder.

"It's a lot easier if you've got the players under your wing during the day," Whalley told Radio Lancashire.

Accrington are currently in negotiations for a site to use as a new training ground.

"I will be speaking to the players over the next month," said manager John Coleman.

"I believe that if you are going to do it you have got to do it properly, so everybody goes full-time including me and the whole staff.

"I believe it is the way forward, especially coaching-wise," added Coleman, who will give up his job as a primary school teacher.

In the meantime, Stanley are continuing their promotion challenge with Tuesday's 3-0 win over Tamworth taking them to within three points of the play-off zone.

And Whalley confirmed that Coleman is set to further strengthen his squad over the next couple of weeks.

Lucky for them. They are averaging 1936 per home game this year, we on the other hand are down to 1134. The extra 800 = roughly £8000 per fortnight income, divide by 18 Pro players = an extra £220 per player per week. Although this is only approximate, it does give you an idea of the level of attendance we need to achieve before full time footy becomes a reality at the Fleet.

Quote:
Lucky for them. They are averaging 1936 per home game this year, we on the other hand are down to 1134. The extra 800 = roughly £8000 per fortnight income, divide by 18 Pro players = an extra £220 per player per week. Although this is only approximate, it does give you an idea of the level of attendance we need to achieve before full time footy becomes a reality at the Fleet.

I think you will also find your average full timer comes a bit cheaper ooop north as well. Cost of houses etc in our region means we will have to pay a few quid more than our northern counterparts to attract the same calibre of players.

We need to at least double our gates or live on the sponsorship of a generous benefactor ( and we can all appreciate the dangers of that ) before even thinking of the prospect of full time footie at the Fleet.

Up the part timers..