Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gateshead may yet survive

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> I find it difficult to comprehend that in an area which proclaims itself to be passionate about football, they cannot see past the black and white striped shirts of St James Park.

I hope the local businesses do rally round. At the moment they should be ashamed to call themselves footy fans no matter which team they support.<p>And I've not even mentioned 4-1. (oops) <p> <hr></blockquote><p>It looks like, due to the generosity of Newcastle United legends past and present, Gateshead might yet survive the current financial crisis.

As well as Gazza donating a large sum of money to his home town team, Alan Shearer is also involved in fund raising. Newcastle manager Bobby Robson has also pledged to take a strong team to the International Stadium with all the prceeds going to GFC. Even Peeta Reid (monkeys heed) has suggested he could take to the Stadium his Premiership strugglers to face the big club from up the road!<p>Does this not prove that when push comes to shove North East football is prepared to help out their colleagues who get into trouble!<p>Little Annfield Plain who play in the Wearside League nearly went to the wall a few weeks ago and Monkeys heed took a team down there which produced the gate receipts that saved them.

As for local business...it was one of them that stiffed Gateshead in the first place

I hope youre right.<p>The Cameron Hall company is trying to destroy all sport in the north east apart from NUFC.<p>A few years ago they bought my local ice hockey team, Whitley Warriors, changed their name to Newcastle warriors and moved them from where they had played for years to their new 'home' in Newcastle. No thought of tradition whatsoever.<p>Of course, the whole thing flopped as people felt betrayed and did not want to travel to Ncle to watch what was no longer their team, and a few years later, the team changed the name back and moved back to Whitley Bay.<p>The Gateshead thing is just the latest in the long line of blunders and it makes me mad!

We applied for promotion and looked like getting it as we're doing really well this season, but the powers that be decided the ground is not up to scratch even though it is no worse than most in the Unibond. I think it is a case of inventing poxy rules to protect the clubs in the bigger leagues and keep the lower league clubs down.<p>Now we have nothing to play for the rest of the season :-(

• 2 weeks later...