Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

GRAYS

CANV EFM

I really enjoyed my evening at Bridge Road, as I always do. Good bar with a good atmosphere, a game with plenty of needle and terrific banter on the terraces. As someone said, both teams got something out of the game, Grays maintain their fantastic home form without losing a game and Canvey keep their undefeated run intact and are still an unbelieveable 19 points clear. Honours even in my opinion.

Grays seem to be preparing for Conference football. They are fast, physical and they play the long ball with deadly accuracy. They gave Canvey no time to stop the ball and build a game plan before it was in with a crunch, wham, bam, thank-you mam. I don’t find this type of football attractive, certainly not to watch every week but, credit and all that, their fans will certainly enjoy watching the team win on a regular basis.

Grays stopped Canvey playing their usual game and without Jeff Minton or Ty Gooden in the middle to direct the style of play, Canvey tried to play Grays in their own style – without a great deal of success, it has to be said. It was always going to be a difficult task to win this one without Mints, Ty, Duffers or Boyly. Very brave of Jeff to try and nobody can blame him considering the important one we’ve got lined up for next Saturday. Interesting to note though, as soon as Boyly came on we stopped playing head tennis up front and the ball to feet approach started to work. Duffers came on and immediately brought a degree of sparkle to the right flank and the longer the game went on, the more likely I thought Canvey were of getting the winner. It only needed Ty (as Mints is still injured) to inject some superiority in the middle and we could so easily have nicked it.

I think Grays are a good outfit, although they don’t play my style of football. They need a settled squad, not sure if the on-loan players can achieve this, and they need just one talented general to direct the troops into a more disciplined outfit. Stimmo did this when he was on the field but he didn’t have the necessary skills around him. He can’t do the same from the dug-out.

Meanwhile, as the table stands today, Canvey have to lose six games to blow it, or looked at from the other end, they need to win another ten (assuming their closest rivals win all theirs). Still trying very hard not to be arrogant, but I am getting quite excited at the thought of counting down those 10 games over the next couple of months.