Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The replay from Stalybridge Forum

cangull

(2/18/04 10:26 am)Reply Canvey Island Great to see everybody last night (and what was wrong with my pink shirt Trefor - everybody wears them round our way.....tells you something about North London!), and I hope you all got home safe, sound and in decent time. Julie, really sorry we didn't see you, and Chrissie sends her love. It doesn't make me feel any better this morning but I certainly didn't think Bridge were four goals worse than Canvey Island. The boys played some lovely football and Kenny Mayers worked his a*se off, Being philosophical about it, I suppose the quality of tow of the goals are what you get - if what I heard was true - for paying such high wages.No disrespect (or sour grapes) intended towards Canvey Island - they're an ambitious and fast-developing club, I know these things take time and maybe they do have plans for ground redevelopment - but after my first visit to Park Lane I'm astonished that CIFC will get into the Conference with the ground as it is. Apart from the generally basic nature of the stadium there were aspects, like poor (and in some areas non-existent) lighting and severe "ponding" on some of the concrete areas that when I was a property manager I would have considered decidedly unsafe. Makes you wonder about the grading criteria.See you all in April!Jon

Canvey 4 - 0 Celtic

The score line would suggest we were tonked.

We weren't.

Their first goal came when, as Trusgie put it, Celtic were working off their coach legs. Boylan nipped around the back of the defence and slid the ball across Dootson.

We came back strongly, and their manager got so worried by our pressure, he ended up getting sent to the camera gantry for persistant encoachment. Sadly though, we didn;t make Potter work to much.

Right at the start of the second half, a cross into the box from Keeling forced Dootson into an attempted tip over. Attempted because he pushed it into his own net.

With his confidence knocked, he didn't come for a cross. German went to clear, but got a knee in the back. No foul was given, allowing Gregory to nick in and side foot home.

Their fourth was a screamer from 35 yards by Robinson. Unstoppable.

We may have lost but the boys shouldn't be too upset, they played very well. Canvey must also admit, in their heart of hearts, that it should never have gone to a replay, as the penalty should have been given. They got a get out of jail, and they used it. I hope that they go on to win it, because they have a good team. Though if their ground is Conference Standard, then Dave Pace has no worries!

what game were they at last night? I thought canvey bossed the game from start to end, stalybridge worked hard but with games at this level all about taking your chances, canvey created five or six and scored four! I can`t remember stalybridge having one, with the canvey back four exelent and potter never doing anything other than routine goalkeeping.

by the way where is canvey efm, merv, matt, ian? its all gone quiet over there!!

Well i had the pleasure of talking to some staly players after the game and they seemed a nice bunch of guys,it was always going to be tough after a 6hr journey to get your [****!!****] out the changing room and play in the cold.But did 4 goals flatter im unsure!.Thers no doubt your half time talk would of been we are still in this keep it tight we may nick a goal,but after the mistake by the keeper who to be fair pulled off a cracking save from Boylan later in the 2nd half you seemed to roll over,we deserved the win and the boys worked for 90mins which is important even though we had it in the can on 64 mins,so a great attitude and spirit.But im getting slightly upset by this we didnt play that well tonight comment.ok yes we can play better,but you cannot expect champange football every week,and for those who think its going to happen are in for a shock!next season (Fingers crossed) we go up. The travelling and the opposition will be very different,these teams will take there chances and we will have to struggle and nick points but theres NO doubt we can hold our own next season.But a win on saturday and we can almost think about the double seriously..Lets get behind the boys and see us play Conference Football!!!!! Yelloowwws..also 25/1 for the trophy my kinda odds!!

Quote:
seasider said:
what game were they at last night?

The one where Cowan nearly scored an own goal under pressure from Mayers; a long throw was turned towards goal by Eastwood, and Potter was going the wrong way, and saved with his trailing foot; Wharton, Clegg and Parr all had shots blocked by defenders; two Fitzgerald thirty yard drives (the first was deflected) both just wide, a Heald run that split open the defence, and Potter had to react to the resulting shot from Mayers; the CI manager getting banished; Clegg almost going route one except for good keeping from Potter and being brave when jumping for the ball outside his box; an Eastwood free kick curling just over the bar; an Eastwood miskick, unmarked at the back post; Parr, Mayers and Clegg all trying to extricate the ball from under Cowen just outside the six yard box; Cowen conceding a corner after Smith had beaten Potter to the ball, and crossed for Mayers.

Also the one where Boylan made best use of a stiff defence in the opening exchange; Boylan outpacing Pearce but putting his shot wide; Fitzgerald clearing Gregory's shot off the line; Gregory hitting the side netting with a hooked shot after getting the better of Pearce; Dootson tipping the ball pathetically into his own net; Boylan producing a great blocking save out of Dootson with a powerful volley; Midgeley knocking over German on a free kick allowing Gregory a free header to nod home past the stationary Dootson; A Dobinson wonder strike off a half clearance; Berquez's shot that went backwards, but allowed Boylan to try his luck, though he shot wide; Boylan taking advantage of a poor defensive Pearce header to force Dootson into a second great save; A second Dobinson wonder strike, this time missing.

Did I miss anything here?

The two lots of chances appear even in number, if not in outcome.

There was about an even number of free kicks awarded, though two needless yellow cards were handed out to Celtic players (but our manager managed to stay on the pitch).

There was an advert on TV for some beer, or something else, micky taking Fan Zone, where the two fans say nothing while the opposition have the ball, and then get all excited when their team does something. This is accurate. Unless you watch without bias (difficult to do, and I cannot do it) unless you get tonked, you think that your team bossed the other.

This game was, imho, even in every way bar goals.

Good luck in the rest of the season and against Maidenhead.

Iain.

i would definatly say that 4-0 did flatter canvey a little. being at the away end in the first half, i got to see the celtic attacks close up. every time they played the ball along the floor they looked dangerous and danny had to make a few very good saves to keep celtic out. luckily for canvey celtic insisted on just hoofing the ball and they always fell to a yellow shirt. there is no doubt canvey were the better side (especially as celtic just didn't bother for the last 20 minutes and we started to show boat) but they were unlucky not to get on the score chart.

one thing i will say, whoever saw a knee in the back for gregorys header is amazing. the goal was 3 ft in front of me and all i saw was the shambles of your defense.

the keeper had a mare of a night (as most of the celtic defence did) but what a save to know boylans fantastic shot onto the crossbar

4-0 may have been unfare on celtic but 4-1 wouldn't have

also why the hell is boylan being credited with one of the best own goals I've seen in along time (and that includes the amazing grays og)

seems like i missed some entertainment.. and if that own goal was better than the grays one then it must have been special..

either way you look at it we are in the 1/4s and have a home draw.. we have had to negotiate two tricky away ties in the unibond and 'airsole' leagues and a conf team .. all job done so far..

It must be tough to make such a long journey and then see your team outclassed. All the way around the M25 and up the M1, the 4-0 scoreline must have been pounding around minds of our cousins from Coronation Street, so much so that a realistic recall of the game was probably lost somewhere around the Watford Gap. Comments like, “This game was, imho, even in every way bar goals,” says it all for me. After Boylan opened the scoring for Canvey, did anyone seriously ever doubt the final outcome?

There are times when Canvey face an opposition that plays the long ball and physical contact type of game and they simply don’t know how to respond. Grays was certainly a game in point and (although I wasn’t there) the Stalybridge appears to be a similar example. But at Park Lane last night Canvey turned the tables, played their own style and invited the opposition to try and match them. This is just what Celtic did and, be honest, they weren’t at the races. They managed to play good, neat, tippy-tappy stuff in their own half (where it doesn’t count) but they were out of their depth whenever they were close enough to see the whites of Danny Potter’s eyes. On the couple of occasions they did manage to get into the 18yd box there was only basic homework for Potts to deal with.

Criticism of Jeff King being banished from the technical area is fair comment; the bloke is passionate about his football after all. Taking pot-shots about the suitability of Park Lane for Conference grading has now become boring; especially since the ground grading committee passed it a couple of years ago. What | would really like to hear from a Stalybridge fan is some serious comment about why his/her team simply couldn’t make an impression. Forget 4-0 being flattering - 4-2 would have been an injustice but still a defeat, 4-3 would have been a travesty, but still a defeat and 4-4 would have been no more realistic than Ian buying a round of drinks in the bar.

A ball by ball analysis of the game would have to give it to Canvey. A neutral’s match report would have to give it to Canvey. A visiting fan’s resume of the game (after a suitable cooling off period) would surely have to concede that Canvey did the business, and did it well.

Surely they’re not ALL Roy Croppers up there?