Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guantanamo Bay Strike Again ???????????????

Quote:
EMHdad said:
..and Mala..did you read the post from FFUSA about the death penalty being brought back where he is and how the crime rate has dropped?..

Yes I did...but I don't think they are introducing the death penalty for car theft or burglaries, or other non-homicidal related "misdemeanors" are they?

In the past, the US has held the dubious honour of having the highest homicide rate in the world, and the judiciaries of many states had capital punishment on their statutes.

Yeh...Crime rates in NY State are falling, but it is not entirely explained by the threat of capital punishment.
The expansion of the DNA databank is credited with the capture and subsequent imprisonment of persistant offenders, in particular. Incidents of crime might seem to be falling [because known criminals are apprehended quicker viz DNA profiling] but the numbers of criminals might not be.

When you study crime statistics over a longer period [say, 40 to 100 years] you realise that there are many fluctuations in the figures, and short-term trends don't necessarily reflect major successes in combatting crime. Politicians like to parade the "figures" tho' - lol!

Anyway, I was not disagreeing with the overall tone of this thread; that retribution may have a beneficial effect on a victim or a victim's family.
I'm just not 100% convinced it is a deterrent. It SHOULD be though!!

At the risk of losing my pinko leftie credentials, I don't really see what's wrong with compulsory ID cards. Most other countries have them, and in effect we have them already - for one thing nearly everyone has a driving licence and/or a passport. Banks, credit card companies and the like all have you on their databses and monitor your spending patterns - it's the best way of countering card fraud, if for no other reason.

So why not simplify the thing and bring in ID's? One in the eye for the less than legal visitors to the shores of old Albion.

Philosophically speaking, what's the difference between fingerprints and DNA records? I've got no objection to someone keeping my DNA on a database: I've always been very keen on distributing samples as widely and generously as possible!

It's true of course that an industry in fake ID's would instantly spring up, but I leave this to the experts to sort out.

Now, I'd better pop out to buy a Daily Mail......