Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 12-December 17 )

• Photo
    Hornet

• Photo
    Riversider

• Photo
    tigersfan

• Photo
    theboss

• Photo
    beatsurrender

• Photo
    ebbsfleet is for life

• Photo
    sportingevenings

Photo

Going full time

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
44 replies to this topic

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
I see from this morning's BBC Sports pages that Brian K. is planning for the Club to go full time the season after next.

offline Hempstead Gaz

Hempstead Gaz
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Andy, I heard Brian Kilcunnen on RK sports desk this morning, if all goes well his plan is to go full time the season after next. I think this is a realistic timeline, as it will give a full season to get our attendances up to 1800+. If we can keep the present squad, and add another centre half and Prothers I reckon a top 10 finish is not out of the question.
Play offs inside 5 years???

offline Stu M

Stu M
Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
I think this is a realistic timeline, as it will give a full season to get our attendances up to 1800+.

This is the real bugbear, though, getting enough people off their rears or out of Bluewater to come down to Stonebridge Road. This season's shown that 1,300 week in, week out, is unrealistic... let alone 1,800.

offline Roy gnfc

Roy gnfc
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Does this mean a new stadium to go with going full time?

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
Has anyone thought to ask management at Bluewater whether it would be possible to mount an awareness campaign at the centre? I'd be willing to help out if Bluewater were agreeable.

offline Paulo GNFC

Paulo GNFC
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
If we can keep the present squad, and add another centre half and Prothers I reckon a top 10 finish is not out of the question.
Play offs inside 5 years???

Play off's should be our aim next season! A top 10 finish is possible for this season, if the current form continues.

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
Nothing to say, just making my total number of posts 200! I know, sad git!!!!

offline Richard C

Richard C
  • Reserves Coach
Seems like yesterday we were storming the ryman with Turner, Smudger, Barnett and Che. Now look at us!!

Division 3 quality players, looking to go full time, a decent squad, BUT still the crowds dont rise what can we do!!!!!!!!

up the fleet

offline Stu M

Stu M
Quote:
Richard C said:
Division 3 quality players, looking to go full time, a decent squad, BUT still the crowds dont rise what can we do!!!!!!!!

I believe the 18th century navy had the answer - prowl the streets and bash poor unfortunates over the head with a big stick, and when they wake up they're shackled to a barrier in the Northfleet End and forced to accept 'Kilcullen's Shilling' for the next 30 years.

Easy-peasy...

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
Interesting comments from the Chairman regarding full-time status.

Ignoring the FA Cup money and the Gladwish deal, with crowds averaging just over 1000 - whats going to change in the next year or so to allow the Fleet to go full-time?

Attendances will surely have to be double. Other options are:

a) Gladwish bankroll's the Club to the Premiership.
B) Brian K. has recently visited a fortune teller, who's predicted
that he will get all 6 number's on the lottery a year from now?
c) The Council agrees to build a purpose built Stadia for the Fleet,
which see's an influx of new fans.

Anybody else have any idea's how full-time footie is realistically achievable in the next couple of years? Apologies for my tongue in cheek humour!

offline American FLEET FAN No1

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
That question has been asked for years Richard...unfortunately....there is no magic potion that will make people attend Non League Football......other than a person with a large fortune willing to lose loads of money and build a good team, a good stadium and stick with the club. Rushden and Diamonds is the best example, but for every success there are many clubs that are abandoned by their "Godfather" when the going gets tough, and the clubs then struggle to survive.

offline Nick Boy

Nick Boy
  • Reserves
I think many people still regard Gravesend as being not a very good side, a bad losing run at the start of the season i suppose lost many peoples interest possibly? But we are getting better, Andy Ford is doing the right thing in bringing in better players so we get the rsesults and people start taking notice, if we can start well next year of finish well this year, it will definatly attract bigger crowds!

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
Maybe Nick....a couple of Hundred...but doubtful if it would be the numbers needed to turn Professional.

offline Nick Boy

Nick Boy
  • Reserves
Yeah... I suppose so... but a new ground is the first step to getting bigger attendances...

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
It's a vicious circle......to have a new ground you need more money........to get more money you need bigger gates.....to get bigger gates you need better players.......to get better players you need more money....I am not knocking the Board.......they are doing a great job with the resources they have available........and as i stated.......unless somebody comes forward with money to burn.....there is no quick fix!
The Fleet had a chance in the 50's,the ground used to be packed each week, when they won the Southern League.....but politics kept them out.....now the politics are gone, they don't have the resources!

offline Nick Boy

Nick Boy
  • Reserves
Ok too visious of a circle for me!

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
Quote:
FLEETFANNo1USA said:
The Fleet had a chance in the 50's,the ground used to be packed each week, when they won the Southern League.....but politics kept them out.....now the politics are gone, they don't have the resources!

Some of us aren't old enough to remember the 50's!
What was all the politics about then?

I recall a rather elderly family friend once telling me the Fleet had the opportuninty to join the Football league and a fairly wealthy individual wanted to put money into the Club but wasn't allowed too.
At the time I thought he was over-exagerrating a little or is there some truth to his story? It would be interesting to know.

Apologies - My Fleet history isn't quite up to scratch - anything pre-80's is lost on me!

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
Before the automatic promotion through the Conference......you had to apply to the League for Admittance......every League club(as far as i remember)were given one vote on the Bottom club in Division 4(as it was then)being dropped and either the Southern League winner.....or (not sure of this) the Northern League Winner, being allowed to join the League.....The old boys act came into play and the bottom club was usually re-elected.Hence the Politics!....... When Northfleet won the Southern League they were turned down for Election.

offline JimGNFC

JimGNFC
Thanks!

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
No problems........unless i am wrong......and i know somebody will jump all over me if i am.........lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus