Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Going full time

Andy, I heard Brian Kilcunnen on RK sports desk this morning, if all goes well his plan is to go full time the season after next. I think this is a realistic timeline, as it will give a full season to get our attendances up to 1800+. If we can keep the present squad, and add another centre half and Prothers I reckon a top 10 finish is not out of the question.

Play offs inside 5 years???

Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
I think this is a realistic timeline, as it will give a full season to get our attendances up to 1800+.

This is the real bugbear, though, getting enough people off their rears or out of Bluewater to come down to Stonebridge Road. This season's shown that 1,300 week in, week out, is unrealistic... let alone 1,800.

Quote:
Chatham Gary said:
If we can keep the present squad, and add another centre half and Prothers I reckon a top 10 finish is not out of the question.
Play offs inside 5 years???

Play off's should be our aim next season! A top 10 finish is possible for this season, if the current form continues.

Quote:
Richard C said:
Division 3 quality players, looking to go full time, a decent squad, BUT still the crowds dont rise what can we do!!!!!!!!

I believe the 18th century navy had the answer - prowl the streets and bash poor unfortunates over the head with a big stick, and when they wake up they're shackled to a barrier in the Northfleet End and forced to accept 'Kilcullen's Shilling' for the next 30 years.

Easy-peasy...

Interesting comments from the Chairman regarding full-time status.

Ignoring the FA Cup money and the Gladwish deal, with crowds averaging just over 1000 - whats going to change in the next year or so to allow the Fleet to go full-time?

Attendances will surely have to be double. Other options are:

a) Gladwish bankroll's the Club to the Premiership.

B) Brian K. has recently visited a fortune teller, who's predicted

that he will get all 6 number's on the lottery a year from now?

c) The Council agrees to build a purpose built Stadia for the Fleet,

which see's an influx of new fans.

Anybody else have any idea's how full-time footie is realistically achievable in the next couple of years? Apologies for my tongue in cheek humour!

That question has been asked for years Richard...unfortunately....there is no magic potion that will make people attend Non League Football......other than a person with a large fortune willing to lose loads of money and build a good team, a good stadium and stick with the club. Rushden and Diamonds is the best example, but for every success there are many clubs that are abandoned by their "Godfather" when the going gets tough, and the clubs then struggle to survive.

I think many people still regard Gravesend as being not a very good side, a bad losing run at the start of the season i suppose lost many peoples interest possibly? But we are getting better, Andy Ford is doing the right thing in bringing in better players so we get the rsesults and people start taking notice, if we can start well next year of finish well this year, it will definatly attract bigger crowds!

It's a vicious circle......to have a new ground you need more money........to get more money you need bigger gates.....to get bigger gates you need better players.......to get better players you need more money....I am not knocking the Board.......they are doing a great job with the resources they have available........and as i stated.......unless somebody comes forward with money to burn.....there is no quick fix!

The Fleet had a chance in the 50's,the ground used to be packed each week, when they won the Southern League.....but politics kept them out.....now the politics are gone, they don't have the resources!

Quote:
FLEETFANNo1USA said:
The Fleet had a chance in the 50's,the ground used to be packed each week, when they won the Southern League.....but politics kept them out.....now the politics are gone, they don't have the resources!

Some of us aren't old enough to remember the 50's! grin.gif
What was all the politics about then?

I recall a rather elderly family friend once telling me the Fleet had the opportuninty to join the Football league and a fairly wealthy individual wanted to put money into the Club but wasn't allowed too.
At the time I thought he was over-exagerrating a little or is there some truth to his story? It would be interesting to know.

Apologies - My Fleet history isn't quite up to scratch - anything pre-80's is lost on me!

Before the automatic promotion through the Conference......you had to apply to the League for Admittance......every League club(as far as i remember)were given one vote on the Bottom club in Division 4(as it was then)being dropped and either the Southern League winner.....or (not sure of this) the Northern League Winner, being allowed to join the League.....The old boys act came into play and the bottom club was usually re-elected.Hence the Politics!....... When Northfleet won the Southern League they were turned down for Election.