Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Official Match Report

Merv

It still rankles with me that the website Ian, Matt and I ran for five years had to go, when in it’s place the club has put up a bland, tell the fans nothing, don’t rock the boat type of site that, if it were a colour, would probably be a pale blend of mid-grey. Have you read the official match report? (see it here ) OK, it’s got the facts, you know the sort of thing – who scored, what time, mention of the penalties – but no feel for the game, no analysis and no comment. The closest the piece comes to opinion is the line, “As Canvey pushed hard for an equaliser…” Who writes this tosh? Pushed hard? I push my missus harder when she rolls over onto my side of the bed. Like I said, mid grey.

What about a few truths in the report? Nothing to get anybody banned but something like, “Many fans left Park Lane today with a feeling of disappointment hanging over them…” or “After such a superb run of results so far this season, few of the 727 fans at Park Lane could understand the team’s apparent lack of ambition or drive today.” Moreover, what about some comment or opinion from the club, or do we have to tune into BBC Essex to hear that sort of thing?

Fortunately we have this discussion board (which the club can’t shut down, even though they don’t like it) and there is the opportunity for us all to put in our twopennuth. I haven’t noticed anything too shocking or upsetting but at least those of us who pay our nine quid have had a chance to let off steam. Have you noticed how today most of us have calmed down somewhat?

There, that's got that off my chest. Feel better now.

Calmed down? I was bouncing off the walls yesterday!

One of the yellow and blue bins dotted around the North Bank nearly became the victim of my frustrations as I walked out at the end.

You wouldn't have wanted to have seen me yesterday, man I was angry!

Long time since I've really had a rant but that ranked right up there with the Slough and Bishop Stortford debacles!

To be honest as our next home game is not until April 4th (Trophy semi final 2nd leg) I've not got to write another piece for another 2 and a half weeks and I will have calmed down by then.

In that time we would have played Hayes, Aylesbury and our first leg semi final. If we win all them games then Sutton will soon be forgotten and probably only get a slight mention.

I've only been angry about a performance after a handful of games, Slough and the two Bishop Stortford games spring to mind and luckily I didn't have to write a column for a week after them games.

I have in the past criticised players' committment and if we've played poorly I will say so. I never criticise individual players in my column or slag off the manager. That would probably get me banned!

Because I'm an optimist I try and take something good out of performances or out of a bad result.

If we were to do badly in the next couple of games then perhaps that would be a different story and I would have to tell it how I saw it.