Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lucky Farnborough

Staying-up

It seems like Farnborough have been given a very lucky reprieve as the top 2 teams in the Northern Leagues ground isnt up to standard.

Looks like the Conference is more interested in looking after its own than having new teams for next season. I cant see why they cant just offer it to the 2nd placed teams in the Ryman & Dr Martins or maybe let the 2 2nd placed teams have a play off to decide who goes into the Conference.

I know it means it will be another fairly local game for us and a chance to bring back bad memories for them from this seasons game but they have finished 3rd from bottom and deserve to go down.

Agreed Farnborough are lucky. In fairness I think it is Conference rules which say they will take the champions from each of the 3 feeder leagues, it would be a bit unfair to change the rules each season (potentially) just because one league could not suply a ground worthy of the Conference. Conference ground rules are another matter entirely of course...On the relegation front, it gets messier cos Leigh might also be lucky: the only team currently guaranteed of going down from the Conf is Northwich ! Margate have to make "significant ground improvements" and have until 31/05/04 to do so (they have been using Dover's ground this season). Failure to do whatever it is they need to do could mean them being thrown out of the Conference...

true but fanrborough were bottom for a good while n looked doomed .. they did as much as the could to get of the bottom of the league after westly fked em over.. you cant go too far down the league to find a team to go up as they will get slaughtered and with some big teams in the conf now you have to be careful that the grounds can hold a big crowd even if it is a 'one off big game'

i agree with sentiment that 3rd from bottom should go, but you make your own luck sometimes and farnboro have done just that.. good luck to em, im sure we'd take the lifeline in the same position next season.

Quote:
it--is--this--year said:
I cant see why they cant just offer it to the 2nd placed teams in the Ryman & Dr Martins or maybe let the 2 2nd placed teams have a play off to decide who goes into the Conference.

Problem is you get complications around that. Weymouth will probably finish second in the Doc Martens and have a Conf standard ground but if Hendon finish second then they're well short of having the proper grading. Not even sure if Hornchurch is Conf standard although they have plenty of seating.

if the new ground does go ahead in its rumoured location it could be called..

'somnes avenue' or 'waterside farm' or 'the swamp'..

i suppose it could also be called 'canvey way stadium' or

'the avenue of rememberance ground'

i think thats all the roads covered