Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Are You Afraid Of Dying ...

Answering your question, when I was between 12-16, I was petrified of passing away.

It was one of those things I thought about alot after losing my nan.

It may be just me (Now I am in my mid-late 30's) but, you tend not to worry as much about it as you get older, you have other things in your life to care for or be concerned about and become less self obsessed.

That is not a criticism of anyone feeling like that, we all have different emotions and we are all at different stages of our life.

You just come to accept it that you and your loved ones will not live for ever and get on with your life.

Although it can be very hard when loved ones are seriously ill and it gets you thinking again.

Mark.

Back to the original intention of this thread, I also had a pathological fear of dying when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I used to sit in front of the telly crying my eyes out sometimes because I was so scared. Now I'm in my mid-forties I'm still afraid of dying, not for me but for what it would do to my remaining family and more than anything, my young daughter who totally dotes on me. If I died tomorrow it would devistate the poor girl so it puts a different aspect on it all. Before she was born I was on a virtual self-destruct mission and, quite honestly, had no regard for my own health or well-being, my life revolving around drink, drugs and fast bikes. Being responsible for another human being's life puts things into quite a starkly different perspective.

I've never been afraid of dying, in fact as I've grown older the thought of it is quite comforting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to slash my wrists. I'm in my mid forties and enjoying life to much as it is. However, I do agree with you John@TheFleet. My perspective of death has changed as I've grown older, not for me but for my kids.

I may not of been the best parent at times, but I've got three wonderful kids who I think the world of. I know that when I do die they are going to be devastated. I won't give a toss, why should I. But, the thought of leaving them behind and the pain and sorrow they'll feel hurts me now.

I feel pretty much the same as John the fleet. As long as it doesnt happen before my little girls are about 20 then I don't give a t0ss, if it was to happen before then it would be a disaster for them. Friends that I know who's parents have gone before they reach that age have never really gotten over it.

The Only Time I Do Think About Death Is When I'm Lying In Bed At Night And I Can't Get To Sleep.

I Focus On My Parents Deaths More Than My Own. Because I Have 4 Younger Brothers & Sisters, And If They Died Tommorow I Dunno What Would Happen.

I suppose if you you knew WHERE you were going to be when you died, you'd NEVER go there !

Being aged 17, i more concered about what happens if my parents died, the worse bit being that you know they are going to, but i guess as you get older you do realise the inevitability of it all and in a way its inevetibility of it is comforting (don't mine ina sick way, but in a way that you know it will happen mite not know when just that it will). Just fear of losing what you love

The thought of dying never even crossed my mind until someone very close to me was killed at the age of 21. That was four years ago and my head still isn't straight now. I get similar problems to those stated by others.

To combat the problems my Doc use to give me a steady supply of Temazepan, which was useless. Now I deal with it by blocking out the thoughts, until I read threads like this.

Here I go wandering on to the site looking for the usual outrageous right wing madness attacking asylum seekers, the arab world and anything the Daily Mail wants to have a go at and I find this a pretty thought provoking thread, pleased to be proved wrong for once in a while.

Being young-ish, 26, I actually fear dying before my parents, because in their position I don't know how I'd cope at seeing my son or daughter die (not that I have one!).

I'm not actually afraid of death, death is an inevitability we all have to accept, you can't live your life in fear. I suppose I could say I have a healthy respect for it and try my best to avoid it! I do worry about ageing and losing my marbles/teeth/mobility and my independence though.

I'd say yes, I am. Not afraid as such, but given a choice I'd rather not die. I like being alive - well maybe not at work, but I have Other Plans for the future (in a mysterious voice) for which I would very much like to remain alive. To die would be a real downer, a total bloody nuisance in fact.

It's a natural thing, of course, the instinct of self-preservation.