Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

• Photo
      19 Jun
    codpiece

RT @Coral: England's goals came from two corners with Harry Kane scoring in the box. When you remember you had Harry Kane taking the corne…

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 21-June 18 )

• Photo
    onebreast

• Photo
    Longshanks

• Photo
    Krooner

• Photo
    wxmfc2000

• Photo
    sidney

• Photo
    brookboy

• Photo
    Barrymono

• Photo
    Crusher

• Photo
    2ndYellow

Bedford want Gravesend to be promoted

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
27 replies to this topic

offline Cressing Toad

Cressing Toad
  • Reserves
Yep, thats Crittals Windows factory in the town before demolition a decade or so ago. Braintree Town FC were previously the Crittals athletic works side. When formed over a hundred years ago Crittals were a major local employer with a strong social conviction. They built the Cressing Road athletics stadium and employees paid to play for the football team. In those days the club didn't actually have a badge that being designed only 20 or so years ago by which time all ties with the business had ceased. Its also where our nickname "IRON" is derived. When you visit Old hospitals etc and see old steel window frames it is a fair bet they were made in one of the Crittals factories. With the advent of aluminium the company has declined but still do manufacture double glazing material from their Silver End and Witham plants.

offline Simon BTFC

Simon BTFC
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Are Bedford known as the Eagles because the play at the Eyrie or is the ground called the Eyrie because the Eagles play there? Either way how did the Bedford/Eagle thing come about? (Just thought I'd ask whilst we're on the subject of badges!)

offline Windy

Windy
  • Reserves
Thanks Iron knob. I didn't really expect any sensible answers.<p>Sadly I am not so well informed so can't answer the Eagles questions. I would think the ground became known as The Eyrie because the Eagles play there and I know that we were nicknamed the Eagles long before Crystal Palace got in on the act - that's what an article in the Independent claimed when we reformed in 1989 anyway.

offline Guest__*

Guest__*
  • rank
Indeed Crystal Palace should really be referred to as the Glaziers....which takes us back to Crittals Windows Factory.

offline Willow Street Ender

Willow Street Ender
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Tut Tut Bald Eagle, are you a Bedford Fan?<p>When I woz young and Bedford and Romford were in the Southern League Bedford's old ground was, I believe called the Eyrie. Could it be that is why Bedford's new ground is called the New Eyrie.<p>Did u not once give Arsenal or was it Everton, a tough time at the old ground?<p>Regards from the bottom of the pyramid, good luck next season.

offline Windy

Windy
  • Reserves
Yes Mr Whisperer, I am well aware that our old home was also called the Eyrie. It was a fine old ground that I had the pleasure of visiting on numerous occasions in my younger days.<p>That wasn't the question though. What I was unable to answer was which came first - the ground name or the nickname as both are obviously linked.<p>We've played both Arsenal and Everton. Arsenal won in a replay after a 2-2 draw at Highbury. All before my time.

offline Rob_the_Saint

Rob_the_Saint
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Something to do with the County badge perhaps? (even though the bird is actually a falcon, not an eagle).<p>

offline Willow Street Ender

Willow Street Ender
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Hi Mr Bird,<p>I agree, the old Eyrie was a good ground. Looks like the answer to your question could be before both our times. I would guess that BTFC are pretty pleased eith the New Eyrie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus