Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Croydon Athletic bullies

Croydon Athletic FC, in cahoots with Croydon council, are engineering a move to snatch council-owned pitches from a local boys team.

An article in the Croydon Advertiser on Friday revealed that the council is planning to increase the rent on the pitches used by Thornton Heath Sports Club by some 500% - that is unless they hand over control of the pitches to Athletic.

The boys club run numerous teams in the Tandridge Youth League and is funded entirely by parents' subscriptions. If the rent rises go ahead and they don't pass control to Athletic, the club will fold.

The council laughably claims that they're only acting in the interests of the local tax-payers. The Rams want to extend their training facilities by cynically robbing the local community but are cleverly distancing themselves from the current negotiations.

This is an appalling indictment of an ambitious Rymans League club who will look to their local community for support and yet show no qualms in pushing around smaller and less well-off local organisations.

I call upon all true supporters of Croydon Athletic, all local residents and all council tax payers in the Croydon area to condemn the actions of the unscrupulous officials of CAFC and of Croydon Council.

The article will have caused a storm in the Advertiser offices as the paper's chief sports reporter, David Groves, is a keen supporter of Croydon Athletic.

• 3 weeks later...

This certainly is disgraceful and I'm suprised at Croydon Athletic, they've always seemed a nice friendly club, how many pitches are they after and why? If I remember correctly they have a training pitch ajacent to their ground.

Their Vice-chairman got the right old hump when I raised it on their messageboard and has been been extremely unforthcoming with information. His denials seem somewhat unconvincing and I think they're hoping this hijacking goes through with the minimum publicity.

See "All the latest news" on the link below:-

Croydon Athletic message board