Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Video Cards/Chipsets !

[color:"blue"] Right then, you lot ! Footy season's over 'til the Europes, so some of you can get yer finkin' 'eads on ! Any boffins out there ?

I have a fairly modern computer, purchased from Tiny Computers, (Yuk), approximately two years ago running on Windows X/P Home.

Until I recently moved, I was able to play Formula 1 2001, (manufactured by EA Sports), with no problems at all.

Since moving and re-installing, this one game refuses to run. I get the following error message:-

[color:"red"] 'F1 2001 cannot be run on this computer. No Direct X 8 video adaptors found. Please contact your video card vendor for updated drivers.'

[color:"blue"]

I am running Direct X version 9. I have done a diagnostic check in the Direct X file by running 'dxdiag' in run, and there are no problems located.

My chip type is KLE/PLE and it's serial number is VT8361/VT8601, (manufactured by VIA Technologies inc.)

I have placed a message on the VIA forum and have received one reply which seems rather drastic asking me to remove the mother-board, check the details, then go out and by another video card which would be compatible.

Seems odd to me that this game ran perfectly before the house move and computer re-installation.

Any SENSIBLE replies from you more experienced youngsters would be greatly appreciated, either by P.M. or E-Mail, or on here ! Me Grand-Son is distraught he can't play his favourite game when he calls, and I ain't tooo chuffed either !

Cheers !

Just in case there are any 'boffins' on this site, (and most of the youngsters these days, seem to be), this is an exact copy of the reply I got to my query on the VIA Arena Forum:-

[color:"blue"] The KLE/PLE on board video is a DirectX 7 compatable part, this is not a driver matter, it is a hardware limitation.

Your hardware has no T+L, or pixel shaders, making games requiring this 'stuff' incompatable with your video.

Tiny Computers used several mainboards in their units, mostly MSI mainboards ( http://www.msi.com.tw/ ), the model number is silkscreened on the board clearly where you can see it.

John, what you are going to have to do is upgrade your video. How you are going to do this is identify your mainboard (model number), look it up, see what you have for slots (PCI/AGP) and purchase a matching video card. If you are looking at PCI slots only there is no 'switch' to turn off the onboard and the computer must be pursuaded to accept a video card, the AGP slot boards do not pose as much of a problem.

So, what you are going to do is:

Determine your motherboard type (printed on the mainboard itself around the PCI slots, something like MS-XXXX)

Give us a clue as to how much processor and ram you have

Look at your power supply and tell us how much wattage it delivers (it should be on a tag on the side of the power supply itself)

Let us know

[color:"black"] I'm glad to see the standard of the sense of humour eminating from the United States hasn't changed over the weekend !

Yes they have been bought out, Stu. They went bust and were bought by the 'Home' chain. They still market under the 'Tiny' name.

'Er Indoors managed to get all her money back on her 'On Site Warranty' payment, coz she paid with her credit card.

It appears their video cards are/were the cheapest ones capable, (allegedly), of running up to date 3D games.

It's all very strange coz another game I run using Direct X 9, runs perfectly. Maybe I'll consign the F.1 game to the bin. Incidently, I sent E.A. Sports to E-Mails to their help desk and never received a reply. That must speak volumes.

JR, if the problem is still persisting, try and find some new drivers for your video card on google as it seems that occasionally the drivers go skizo. i was running black & white on this pc but the graphics were poo, new driver for the video card and they work fine. new drivers, its the way

Cheers Rebel.

I'll give Google a go over the weekend.