Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

QPR Players not retained

Well we all knew he was out of contract with QPR at the end of the season, so it was hardly a big secret.

Of course, a division 2 player will almost certainly want to stay full-time so I think nobody can blame Ben for wanting that.

Although he did want to stay with us if the money was right, it just depends on how much of a gap there was between his QPR wage, what he wanted to play for us & what the club could afford to offer.

I doubt he would've wanted much. He was young and only ever in the reserves at QPR. Not sure how long he had as a pro deal but doubt he ever got a new improved one as he hardly played. If we can afford Manny then we can afford Ben. Maybe it was just a case of Andy Ford not wanting him cause he knew Jacko would be returning??

On that note who will be club captain next year??

Some people may shoot me down for saying this, but there were times last season when I felt Macca was only in the team because he was captain. He did have his moments, but was a bit inconsistent from time to time.

That doesn't mean I necessarily want Jacko to be re-installed as captain - after all, the same thing could just as easily happen to him if he went through a bit of a rough patch. In my view, in an ideal world football teams wouldn't have captains, because it means that at times the side isn't being chosen on merit. It's not like cricket, where the captain has an obvious role to play in how the team plays (e.g. bowling changes, field placings etc.).

Couldn't agree with you more jc. With the new signings (& more to come) he may struggle to make the first XI unless he improves his ball distribution, shots on target and goals even.

A player doesn't necessarily remain skipper season after season and it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing if changes occur. I would like to see Provs or Mooro as captain for this coming season.

Quote:
jc said: there were times last season when I felt Macca was only in the team because he was captain. He did have his moments, but was a bit inconsistent from time to time.

Fair point, that may be the case borne out of necessity (injured players etc) but as Richard C stated below he would've been severely weakened from his illness.
I do appreciate your comment though Mr C, as I said the same of Jacko the season before last. That's sure to provoke a backlash! (SHOCK! HORROR! BURN HIM! BLASPHEMER! etc etc ad infinitum)

Quote:
Richard C said: Macca was head and shoulders above most players for last half of season when he had recovered fully.

I couldn't agree more Mr C (again). Thought that our worst spells in this league over two seasons have coincided with Macca's enforced absence and subsequent recovery to full fitness.

Quote:

I couldn't agree more Mr C (again). Thought that our worst spells in this league over two seasons have coincided with Macca's enforced absence and subsequent recovery to full fitness.

Maybe season before SS but last season when Macca was out the team played some of it's best football and gained good results without his leadership on the field.

I personally don't see Macca staying captain as a problem. We have been highly successful under his leadership, so why change.

In any case, we have virtually a whole team of captains - who can deny that Gledders, Shears, Mooro, Skins, Porter (Margit skipper), Saunders, Prothers and Essy don't lead by example. I would be happy if any of those were skipper.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

OK Macca is not the quickest of players. OK his goalscoring record isn't good. But one has to look at his role in the team as he is more of a defensive midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder. And I would argue with anyone as to his commitment to the team over the whole ninety minutes and his encouragement to other players if their heads start to drop. In my view he leads by example and therefore should stay as captain and should stay as one of Andy's number one choices. We look like there will be for some real competition for places in the side next season and I believe that will lift people like Macca to do even better and I think he's the sort of player who will respond to that challenge.