Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What a delight it has been travelling from Braintree to Chelmsford Station this week, back to 20 mins in the morning, whilst the kiddies are off for a week instead of the usual hour.

Roll on the 6 weeks holidays or even better start school at 10am, then we will all be at work and wont have to go slow as the lazy mums block up the road to take Jenny and Johnny round the corner, the kiddies would start an hour later and be thrilled with that too.

The fact is, kids today have it FAR too easy !

I used to walk a mile and a half each way to school, just to save the tuppence bus-fare for 8 farthing chews ! Ahh ! The gool 'ol days !

QUESTION:- Why do all the mum have to drive 4 x 4 people carriers just to get the little cherubs to school ?

Now come on BJR, be precise, do you mean 4x4's or people carriers/MPV's? Not the same thing you know.

But I quibble, you are entirely right. Few 4x4's ever venture off road at all, and most models are not terribly suitable for it anyway. Why the hell they're used for the school run is beyond me.

I suppose if you have 5 children, a 7 seater is quite handy - provided you have no baggage of course, as the bloody things have no boot. You'd be better off with a 110 CSW Defender..... a 4x4 of course.

More to the point is why don't the little cherubs walk to school - might help wit the national obesity problem too.

At this point I should confess that I drive an invisible Freelander, until the end of July, when I aspire to the aquisition of a Discovery. But I have my reasons.

They don't walk to school because theres to many fcking nutters about....Ok in our day we used, but you can't be to sure these day's...so if making your journey that bit longer saves a child from getting into the hands of some nutter then so be it!!

Apparently it's all a matter of perception. They are more likely to sufer a traffic accident than fall victim to a nutter (so I read somewhere, I can't quote the statistics).

The actual chance of them being assualted or whatever are apparently very low, it's just that everyone assumes otherwise as the tragic incidents that do occur are so widely publicised.

However, whether there really are no more nutters now than there used to be I wouldn't like to say. Apart from the high profile nationally reported cases, the worrying thing is the number of minor (not to those involved) incidents tucked away in the local paper - flashers, indecent assualts, cases where someone attempted to drag the child into a car but he/she managed to escape" are not uncommon.

I'm sure it all says something about something, but I'm not sure what.

I blame the teachers.

If they weren't so obsessed with getting a job that offered them 16 weeks holiday a year and finishing at 3:40 then there wouldn't be any schools.

This would cut down massively on:

1. Congestion.

2. The perverts.

3. Traffic accidents.

4. Bullying.

5. Obeisity from the cr@p served in school canteens.

The children could then be used productively to increase the country's economic wealth. We do still have some coal underground that could be extracted. Especially given the price of oil at the moment.

Invisible Man re your quote about the 4X4 and off roading.

I got no kids (dont want none either yuk) but do like you have a new Freelander. I dont mind a bit of mud and s**t on it and actually go off roading in it when I take me dogs to the woods! It also comes in handy coz as you can see I'm a Canvey fan and our car park is s**t so parking on the swamps is the place to be!!

most of the 'nutters' these days are poxy kids who could do with a slapping.. most assaults of any kind on minors are done by relatives or people who know the victim.. you are more likely to get hurt in a car than as a pedestrian.. its all a matter of risk perception and in todays [***!!***] society where everyone believes the scare media and govmnt people are [****!!****] scared of the wrong things..

plus getting the little runts out on there own may streetwise em up a bit the fat little tossers

Quote:
The Invisible Man said:
Never mind school.

Send them up chimneys or down mines, or set them to work 18 hours a day in dark satanic mills.

A few privileged ones can sell laces or matchsticks on street corners, provided they are very well behaved. Or is that a bit too lenient, do you think? I am a bit of a pinko, as you know.

That's a tough one for us. Little Miss Happy's wheelchair would get stuck up a chimney!