Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

London Olympic Bid

Apparently Seb (sorry Lord) Coe says "...the latest tracking polls show 84 per cent of Londoners and 94 per cent of young people between 18-34 support the bid".

Really? Who has he been asking? As big a waste of money as running a GP in London, still they are all experts at spending other people's cash. Just think what the congestion charge will have to go up to, how many extra cash cameras and parking meters will have to be installed to raise the extra funding on top of the Council tax.

Perhaps Coe and Livingston can be surcharged like Dame Shirley Porter if it all goes over budget, as it will!

Still they will just improve the trains to get the tourists to the games, but s*d the poor commuter who has to travel anywhere else, same as usual.

well, they're about six new train routes planned to go ahead in the future including the cross-rail scheme which are all well and good, but if the rest ofthe network still sucks the meat missle it's not going to look that impressive. I'm much more impressed with the stadium complex that's been planned for new york than the london plan. perhaps for me the worst thing about the london bid is that it's always in the top three stories on the bbc london news. thank god my sky box upstairs is still tuned to Midlands today

Quote:
Andrew S said:
Apparently Seb (sorry Lord) Coe says "...the latest tracking polls show 84 per cent of Londoners and 94 per cent of young people between 18-34 support the bid".

Would you like the 2012 Olympic Games to be held in London?
Would 54%
Would not 33%
Don't know 13%
(YouGov Survey Results - Sample Size: 1089 Londoners, Fieldwork: 17 - 19 May 2004)

Quote:
Press release said:A Government commissioned ICM opinion poll showed 81% of UK respondents endorsed a London bid for the Olympic Games in 2012.
Even when prompted with the cost implications, support only falls to an emphatic 73%. Support was strong throughout the UK, according to the pollsters, with adults in Scotland and Northern Ireland being amongst the most supportive. Support in London is running at an 82% approval rating.

The figures do not seem to make sense, except that opinion polls are sometimes carried out in a method which favours the opinions of whoever commissions the poll.

• 1 month later...

And now the Beeb has found people who are willing to "facilitate" London getting the games, Lord Coe gets on his high horse and says they are damaging the prospects for London's bid. Good! Who needs to spend billions on enabling a load of overpaid junkies to compete at our expense - there are only a few of them in with a shout of winning a medal and apparently the Olympic village for the Athens games has been provided with over 150,000 free condoms - so the rest are just there for the sex - now we know what the real Olympic sport is........

Perhaps the best bet is to get to run the games as they really are - they should be sponsored by the pharmaceuticals industry who can test all their performance enhancing drugs on the athletes who perform the the only sport they are really interested in - screwing (the rest of us as well as each other!)

.... I bet Uncle get a bit embarressed as well, Mala !

Talking about global warming.... What about Cornwall this afternoon ?????

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to keep on about this, but are we REALLY sure we want this?

One Olympic City has just paid off its debts - it only took them 28 years. The Greek Government have just had to hold an emergency cabinet meeting and may have to impose additional income tax to pay for the Games. There are a load of Olympic venues for which they cannot find a commercial use (estimated about 10). Other Greek Cities are p*ssed off that funds earmarked to improve their facilities have been diverted from them to prevent Athens from going broke........

My Lord Coe said the problems had been noted..., which probably means he's determined to go ahead as it isn't him who will have to pay, anyway. There's nothing easier than spending other people's money! Irresponsibly!

And what support has London ever given to anything outside itself?

And Big Tone's supporting it ...........Uh Oh - I feel more taxes coming on!

And they are planning to have Olympic travel lanes just like Bus lanes - what will that do for people trying to get around London.

Besides, Paris want them - let them, it could be the best one over the French yet!

Join The OlympoSceptics Movement!

Some very good points, Andrew S.

I tend to agree.

What p1ssed me off after all our athletes returned home, was some BBC sports presenter going on about, 'As England had done SO WELL in the medals table, that MUST enhance our chances of winning the bid for the olymoics !'

EXCUSE ME ?

WE WIN A FEW MEDALS SO WE WILL WIN THE 2012 BID ??

WHAT PLANET IN THIS PERSON ON ?????

London is paying for the bid,but many other places would get facilities which would go with the olympics,so WHY dont they pay towards the total waste of money being inflicted on us?

It is about time people like Coe and Livingston come down from their ivory towers and remembered that London is a living,working city NOT an extension of their own private playgrounds.

BUGGER OFF and leave us alone!!

And today, they started work on building the Aquatics centre (two fity metre pools and a diving pool) for 2012 and they don't get the decision until July next year. So if they don't get it, a major facility will be there which means that UK swimming will have to move to London to avoid wasting it, which means nobody else gets top class swimming, and at the same time London will have to pay for it - who's going to be happy with that?

It's a London bid, not a UK one!