Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey 1 2 Gillingham

YELLOW

Thought we played really well tonight against a Gillingham side that contained a number of first team players including player boss Andy Hessenthaler. We lead at half time thanks to a great finish at the far post by John Kennedy and lead to the 65th minute.

Unfortunately we seemed to tire near the end and Gillingham took advantage with Jarvis and Mama Sidibe scoring the Gills' goals.

Nevertheless we played some really good football with Jeff Minton looking real class in midfield and J.K producing a battling performance. The defence looked solid but it was Jonnie Keeling who was star of the show. He skinned the full back time after time and a superb run from the byline saw him beat at least 3 players but not quite find Duffers with the final ball.

We probably deserved a draw with Duffers hitting the bar and Boylan volleying the rebound against a Gills' defender who somehow managed to head it over the bar from on the line.

A good performance tonight against a fairly strong Gills' side. A vast improvement on last year's 7-0 thrashing!!!

A good game tonight played in the right spirit. All the new signings continue to play well but Keeling was in outstanding form, if he can keep up that standard of play we will have a great season.

I also thought the ref (Mr Singh?) was really good tonight, i know he blew up for some soft fouls but he never let the game get to a situation where he had to book someone.

One thing that did bug me tonight was the lack of info about the game/kick-off time. I and all the regulars know that we normally ko at 7 30 (i know this is changing for conference games) but there was nothing on the website, Ceefax had it as 7 45 and Sky did not even have it on their list of games. We need to attract more support so at least let people know what`s on offer.

Taken from the Gills forum...

Just in from Canvey

Banks

Howell (Wallis H/T) Hope (Beckwith H/T) Cox (L Johnson H/T) Rose

Jarvis Hessenthaler Spiller ( Croft H/T) Perpetuini (Carew 60)

Agyemang (Sidibé H/T) Byfield (T Johnson H/T)

Match played with a bit of a competitive edge, but fewreal highlights. Gills first half efforts very limited: free kicks from Perpetuini and Hess that were not very close, headers from Cox (wide from a Hess corner) and Hope (into goalies hands from a Spiller free kick) and that was about it. A few panics in the Gills area: the goal (28 mins)came when a deep cross wasn't cleared (arguably Spiller was lucky not to concede a penalty) and the ball was hooked back accross the box to Kennedy, who slotted it under Banks. I saw no grounds for any offside appeal.

A much better performance in the second half (players not saving themselves for tomorrow?): TJ went close when sent through by Croft, and Carew played a good ball into space for Matt Jarvis, who put it under the goalie and in (63 mins). TJ and Carew had good chances before, on 73 minutes, Beckwith rumbled forward, shot from 30 yards, and Mama picked up the charge down on the edge of the box, stepped past a man, and scored what was to prove to be the winner.

A few scares in the defence, often by Keeling running at us from the left, and once when Jeff Minton seemed to go past about half the team, but never more so than when, with about 3 minutes left, Richard Rose (through whom an enormous proportion of our play had passed) sliced onto the bar, and two follow ups were charged down.

Highlight of the match: The ref reminding Hess that he had the right to send him off: they had been playing for about 45 seconds!