Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A Welling view of tonights game

Clumsey tackle by Brown and all hell breaks out in the Gravesend camp. Brown correctly turns away and gets smacked in the mouth for his troubles. It wasn't a bad foul but Gravesend overreacted. Result Brown gets booked and the guy who slings the punch walks free. A few bad tackles from Gravesend get nothing more than a lecture. Second half Collins goes off with a leg injury. Not bad though from what he was saying after the match. O-0 with half an hour to go. We win a throw but a Gravesend twat kicks the ball at Booth. Not once but three times. Booth gives him a little shove, both hands on the shoulders. 10 year old ref runs up waving a red card. Gravesend twat gets a yellow but thought he was getting red as well because he was already walking off the pitch.

Last minute cross from a free kick near the corner flag and it goes straight in. Fluke of a goal and a draw would have been fair.

Good all round performance with Brown just shading Man-of-the-match.

Tosh in charge and no sign of Parker.

As I wasnt there, I cant comment - was it that daft?? What on earth is going on with pre season "FRIENDLIES"?? Seems like yellow and red cards are becoming the norm. Come on guys - its supposed to be practice for the new season, with nothing other than places in the first choie team at risk - why the hell are we getting so hot under the collar in such games??

Just hope its not a sign of things to come.

And it wasnt the greatest result either - again with the squad we have, we should be doing better - I hope we're simply trying to lull the opposition into a false sense of security !!

It struck me as a bad tempered niggly game throughout - the ref barely had control of it at all, but then he really shouldn't have to in a "friendly". I worry about how the guys will react when things start to matter.

Slightly disappointing result, but on the positive I thought Rouse was superb throughout and was pleased to see him score at the end (More like a good free kick and a dodgy keeper than a fluke!!). Sidibe was electric when he came on, although he did get kicked all over the park and once again Pinnock was full of running when he took over from Manny.

I'm still undecided about Ben Surey though. He made some lovely passes last night, but gave the ball away too often as well - also had 2 cross/shots straight into the keepers arms, but then again he popped up for three reasonable headers....Aaagh, I just don't know!!!

I'm sure it'll all fall into place come 14th August - and at least we won!

By the way - anyone know what the attendance was?

I suppose it's to be expected but I note the

Welling view doesn't make any reference to the number of bad tackles on Moussa when he came on - got hacked down virtually every time he got the ball.

Got to say it was one of the most unfriendly friendlies I think I've ever seen and the game could easily have finished with only 17 players on the pitch - at least two multiple player flare ups and numerous bookable tackles.

On the upside, I thought Porter was superb, Rouse had a really good game and getting the goal was justifiable reward. Thought Roy had a cracking game and I still beleive that he and Pinns make the better combination up front.

The game was played at a far higher tempo than the ones at the weekend but then I suppose it was always going to be. IMO the incident which lead to the sending off happened because the referee failed to adequately deal with the Welling defender who felled Moussa within a minute of Moussa being introduced. Also IMO two of the Welling players 3 and 6 can count themselves very lucky not to have followed their team mate down the tunnel for an early bath. As has been mentioned earlier Moussa came in for some real stick although in one move he did leave two of their players 'on their backsides' as he skipped past them and also left Danny Lye 'for dead' in another move which was just as well because if Lye had connected it could have resulted in a very nasty injury to Moussa.

Lye doesn't seem to have lost his combative style, steaming into other peoples arguments etc! It was perhaps fitting that the goal should come from a free kick awarded after Lye had fouled Moussa.

Rouse looks a real good prospect. Roll on the 14th!!!!!!

No qualms that Wiles (3) should and Arnott (6) could have seen red but what about McKimm and Moore starting the first half punch up. McKimm in particular was throwing his fists around and should have walked and may be if the ref had taken some action then he would have prevented most of what followed.

For a starting line-up containing Browne, Lye, Spiller, Watts & Booth (and later Matt Lee) there was never going to be any doubt that they would look to prove themselves against their former employer. Until recent(ish) the Wings squad also included Berkley, Strouts or Powell... they do bl**dy well out of us don't they?! wink.gif

Anyway...if we are to assume that all friendlies are to be treated in the same way as competitive games, then the referee only has himself to blame for last nights debacle.

Boothy should have been yellow carded in the first half for kicking the ball away on a number of occasions. As such, this may have calmed him down so as not to react when Surey was getting in the way and winding him up.

If the ref had shown just a little common sense from the outset then he may've prevented those shenanigans later.

We can bemoan the PVR boys for their over-zealous tackling as much as we like, but it's sad when the only two memorable events of the first half were the handbags that were drawn and Skins' clearance off the line.

Goal? Fluke? Rubbish, it looked as if Rouse was trying to score direct from all the corners he took in the second half. He was just successful with the free-kick. Well done.