Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 14-December 17 )

• Photo
    gracie

• Photo
    Fleet_nut

• Photo
    Howezy

Photo

The Mr. Deadman Show

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
18 replies to this topic

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
Once again we were treated to the Mr. Deadman show, he must need one hell of a kit bag to keep his ego in. On the way to the match we joked about having our 'favourite' official appointed to this match. Imagine our sorrow when we found out it was true. His over fussy style does nothing for the game in fact it detracts from it.

Why stop the game, when a foul has been committed, if the player fouled still has the ball and therefore the advantage? If the offending player needs to be spoken to or cautioned there's plenty of time after the the ball has gone out of play, goal scored etc. By the same token there were occasions on both sides last night where seemingly obvious fouls went unpunished.

There's no doubt that Mr. Deadman fully understands the Laws of the Game but he also needs to learn and apply a little common sense. He also needs to learn or a Referee assessor needs to point out to him that while he is part of the game, and let's face it the game cannot exist without Referees, the paying public usually go to matches to watch the football not the performance of the officials. As has probably been said many times the Referee you hardly notice is the one who is usually the most effective.

I hope Mr. Singh is doing well in his first season in the Football League or whatever they call it now. I for one will miss his efficient handling of matches.

offline smithyman

smithyman
  • Reserves
Totally agree. Matt Rouse was silly to argue with the ref after the Canvey goal - he isn't suddenly going to change his mind, but the tackle that got him sent off only looked a minor foul from where I was standing and probably only warranted a final warning. To penalise Matt for his foul in exactly the same way that the ref penalised Gregory when he lashed out shows that the yellow card is not being used sensibly.

I think the Conference refs ought to watch some of the Premiership refs and look at how many times they give players a talking to rather than give them a yellow card. It was that sort of approach that made Mr Singh such a popular ref.

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
I think supporters on both sides will agree about Mr Deadman and also Mr Singh, hope we see more of one than the other.

offline mala_D

mala_D
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
agree. Singh was top class last season.

offline Big J R

Big J R
  • Vice-President
  • rank
  • Supports: Chelsea !!
  • Foes: NO-ONE !
  • Fav. Player(s): Any that don't dive and whinge !!
  • Fav. Sport(s): Naked Tiddly-Winks for over 70's.
He did well at a match in Cornawall the other day !

'Singhin' in The Rain - Just Singhin' in the.....' Tra-la-la-la-la-la-la

offline Jessica

Jessica

You would have thought that as this was clearly a local Derby, A decent ref should have been appointed.

Deadman and his officials were hell bent on beign noticed and for all the wrong reasons.

Let's hope that's the last both teams see of him this season.

offline meldrew

meldrew
  • Reserves
The assistant referee running the line on the clubhouse side was diabolical,I think he was straight out of Sunday league games.Essandoh`s disallowed goal looked pretty good to me,and he did not seem to give anything until he`d looked at the referee for guidance.Perhaps if we don`t verbally abuse them,we might get the benefit of the doubt occasionally!

offline Stu M

Stu M
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Quote:
meldrew said:
Perhaps if we don`t verbally abuse them,we might get the benefit of the doubt occasionally!

I used to think that, but then they get smug and relaxed, give appalling decisions and you can't help but verbally abuse them again.

It's a vicious circle. You can't help but shout at total idiots.

offline Big J R

Big J R
  • Vice-President
  • rank
  • Supports: Chelsea !!
  • Foes: NO-ONE !
  • Fav. Player(s): Any that don't dive and whinge !!
  • Fav. Sport(s): Naked Tiddly-Winks for over 70's.
Don't knock 'em, til you've done it yourself at a higher level !!!

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
Quote:
Big J R said:
Don't knock 'em, til you've done it yourself at a higher level !!!

I officated at Kent League level for some four or five seasons before 'retiring' so I think I know a little of what goes through a referee's mind. I suppose I could be regarded as gamekeeper turned poacher.

Despite the circumstances which lead me to 'retire' I still generally view games from the terrace with a referee's 'eye'. I don't think I ever pleased everyone with my decisions but I like to think that I always used common sense when applying the laws of the game.

Let's face it the referees in the Conference are usually on their way up through the leagues and the next stop is the football league. That being the case they are generally performing for the assessor in the stand rather than the two teams on the pitch. Hence, common sense goes out of the window.

offline James

James
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Are you only allowed a view once you become a qualified referee then

offline Ray ellingham

Ray ellingham
is there common sense in football you have to abide to the laws of the game

offline smithyman

smithyman
  • Reserves
I think there is a place for common sense otherwise you get the riculous situation that happened last week at Canvey where a nothing foul in the middle of the pitch (Rouse's second yellow) got the same punishment as Gregory of Canvey when he lashed out with his boot and threw the ball at Lee Gledhill I think it was. Either Matt Rouse should have had no more than a warning (unless it was for persistant fouling ), or Gregory should have got a straight red.

It seems to me that the yellow card is used much more in our standard of football than in the Premiership and therefore refs make a rod for their own backs with supporters and players accusing them of inconsistency and ruining games.

offline Stu M

Stu M
  • National Squad - 1st XI
I'm in favour of the adoption of a whole new colour-coded system of carding - yellow, red, green, amber (the 'get ready, I'm sending you off soon' card), blue, purple ... and grey for when the ref can't make up his mind.

That ought to confuse 'em!

offline Andrewc

Andrewc
No, not at all mate!!

offline smithyman

smithyman
  • Reserves
Newspapapers sometimes print statistics of the premiereship refs - number games and number of yellow and red cards issued.

Is there anywhere that publishes similar information for conference refs - might make interesting reading?

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
Try here type in the name and select from the drop down menu.

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Foes: Dartford
So that's three times we have had him in the last two seasons and he has handed out 7 cards in each match. His record for our three games in 19 yellows and 2 reds (both ours)

offline American FLEET FAN No1

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
Common sense shown to one player is viewed as favoutitism by the opposing players.........The refs are on a loser whatever they do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus