Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Question to BIG JR.

BIG J.R, noticed from previous thread your knowledge of matters legal and wondered if you can offer me some advise.

Situation, 6 weeks ago, treated myself to a Laptop, Emachine 700 quid, they did offer at the time, accident insurance, I decided (probably wrong with hindsight)not to take the additional 55 quid insurance and stuck with year guarantee. They were trying to push on me Anti Virus bits and lots of other bits and pieces, which I thought were just taking the p1ss.

Last night the crystals behind the screen went, the whole screen is smashed internally, but the outer screen is smooth as a babys bum. I took it back to Dixons where I bought it, they reckon it will cost 100 quid for a quote and 500 quid to get repaired as it is not covered by my years guarantee and i should have taken out the extra cover.

Simple maths, means i would have to put out nearly the same amount again to get it repaired, is there anything I can do?

Do I have any legal rights or have i just got to w/off 700 quid? Is it worth talking to trading standards or anyone due to it only being bought in July?

Dixons state that it is not covered.

If all else fails.....

Have you got home contents insurance Mark?

I suggest you tell 'em the dog/small child whatever knocked it off the table [or whatever] and you'll get a replacement or repair.

All you need to show is your receipt and prob have to pay the first £50 or £100.

The extra Insurance has got f/all to do with it.

ONLY 6 WEEKS OLD ?

It's covered by Manufacturers warranty, NEVER MIND poxy Dixons.

Contact your local Trading Standards Office immediately !

The number will be in the phone book.

If you have kept the receipt - Even better.

Household Insurance not involved.

Assuming it was a NEW computer, and not a return, YOU ARE COVERED AT LEAST, for the first twelve months !

DIXON'S are renowned for this type of attitude ! I've been there wiv 'em.

I wish I lived near you. I'd tear 'em to pieces.

Let me know, Mark