Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Todays Game

chris blanc

If we had lost 0-1 I would not have been concerned as we always looked very capable of holding our own against a good side. Last year and before that wasnt always the case. A marvellous performance and a well deserved victory. I would hope that some of the Steveange supporters will be impressed with us. Well done the Fleet.

I should think a few 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' types will have been on the phone to Radio Kent following Andy's post match interview - referring to the fact that he's started wearing a shirt and tie for the match there are times when he, quote, 'sweats his [****!!****] off'!!

Nice one Andy.

A couple of things to post about...

#1) What a great performance from the Fleet, showed great character after going 1-0 down from what I see as one of luckiest goals I have ever seen, didn't mean it, and caught Wilko out. I thought Jay Saunders showed great desire on the pitch today, which is just what we need playing against strong teams. Jeferson Louis held the ball up well. Also in my opinion Lee Shearer was outstanding at centre-back. Won everything in the air, very very rarely caught out. Great performance. Moussa electric! 2 great goals. And also a solid performance from Prothers and Skins.

#2) Just before the second goal, you probably will remember getting a free kick to the Stevenage fan's dismay, and also the managers. When Moussa scored, the manager threw a watter bottle at one of our fans, losing his temper, I wasn't sure if this was because our fan had shouted something, but that is no reason to act like that... Oh and by the way, I was sitting in the East Seating Stand i think it was. Sorry not quite sure

Great day for the Fleet! Roll on

That tool Westley can throw all the bottles he likes, it was his own fault bringing off one of his strikers and sitting deep with a time-wasting midfield and defence. If he'd had the balls to stick with two up front, Stevenage may have got a second. Nice to see Maamria still didn't stop complaining to the ref even after the final whistle.

Thought we were superb today - as someone above said, even if we'd lost, we'd've shown we can live with the better teams. Manny had a great game again today, Surey played well, although I thought we missed Roy's aerial presence up front as early on we got a lot of crosses in and only Surey and Manny were anywhere near them, and they were too small!

Their goal was definitely fortunate - no doubt the guy will claim it was deliberate and that he spotted Wilko off hisline - sorry mate, but that definitely wasnt so !! (Mind you, that was probably one of the few mistakes that Skins made today - letting the guy get behind him)

When Shearer put that header straight at the keeper when anywhere else was a goal, and that Drury's chip/cross/shot (equally fluky as their goal) bounced out off the bar,I really thought it wasnt to be our day, but I forgot Moussa - 2 excellent goals - from cracking passes by Manny and Andy Drury

Still getting my breath back - today must give the team great belief, even if they didnt have it before, that they can match the best teams in this league.

Incidentally,I thought Ben Surey also did extremely well before he was subbed,including that great cross which Jay volleyed inches over in the first half.

E.g. the foul on the edge of box in the 1st half, to me that was an excellent tackle, overall he was a poor ref. Have to agree at 1-0 i wrote us of for a while but the 2nd half performance was good, and an insprired subsitution by andy to bring on moussa.

Agree with baz at the fleet though on that the passing back to Wilko had me worried on more the one occasion but Wilko showed his true class with that save in the 2nd half.

So far , Stevenage are the worse team I have seen this season in their atitude towards the sport.

OK , Forest Green were poor , but at least they tried to play some football and didnt whinge and moan and the hospitality from the few fans at Nailsworth was great.

Canvey werent great , but looked mor ethan capable of keeping up.

But as for westleys cheats,they are a team that just whinge and moan and fall over for the slightest thing , then all off a sudden at 2-1 down they start to actually rush to get the ball back in play.

A good result and we have definat;ey come on in the last 18 months. Todays game said a lot for the atitude of those at the club and we will hopefully build on this start.

Then ref was spot on with the free kick before our second goal. Their player clearly handled the ball while he was on the ground. Shame the ref didn't take any action against Maamria for shoving Wilko in the face (he had no reason to do it - but I'm sure we can all think of a few) although Wilko did appear to make a meal of it.

The last few minutes was the quickest their keeper moved all match, ref should have booked him also.

Great game, congrats to all.

that game was lost because of westly because, after we were only 1 up he took off an attacker and put on a midfeilder. so he was bassically coasting. but he should only do that if were 2 goals ahead! If the opposition equalises (which they obviously did) then we have just lost 2 points. but if they score when we have 2 goals already then we still have 3 points. plus why is boyd always put on in the last 20 minutes of the game!? he's one if not the best player on the pitch! so why doesn't he get put on the STARTING lineup? we've noe lost 3 and won 3 this season we havn't played brilliantly overall (except for when we were against accrington). i can see this as another season where we are not going up or down, instead we will just sit in the middle of the table AGAIN! westly was inconsistant last year and is no different this year. i think he should be given until about christmas time and if he doesn't improve the chuck him!

Well done today lads! At half time i couldnt see us winning, not because they way we were playin (as i thought we were playing quite well creating chances), but it looked as iff luck wasn't on our side at all. After all those so near chances that could off easily been tapped in. Also the ref wasn't helpin us much!!

We started the second half strongly to but just couldn't finish..until Sir Moussa came on and scored two fantastic goals!!!

Also i thought that are defense was superb very rarley making a mistake especialy lee shearer, plus wilko made two fantastic saves!!!

Once agen well done lads!! and lets make it 19 on saturday!!!

Up Da Fleet!!!!

djsmile.gif

We can't play Boyd from the start he is too young and not experienced to be thrown in at the deep end all season. His role for most of this year is to come off the bench, with limited starts.

Overall I don't think we had the greatest of games. The Ryman League style 'hoof it up the park' doesn't work at this level. We got bogged down in midfield or got the ball straight back in our own goal area. Luckily, Stevenage played the same sort of game, making most of the match stagnant and boring. When we did break lose, we seemed in control when we played our own 'passing game'. Time and again we got crosses into the oppositions box, creating chances, if not finishes. The 'long ball game' doesn't suit Manny, he's far to short and will rarely, if ever win headers played forward to him. He wasn't out played today, we cancelled him out of the game ourselves. Roy would of been far more suitable for this style of game.

Even after their fluky goal we were still bogged down in midfield, so it wasn't until Moussa came on that we found the key to open up Stevenage, play the ball on the ground.

Andy said in his after match interview that Moussa doesn't generally go for goal, that he usually sets people up, so now we've opened up another source of goals. Another player with two goals to his name, well done Moussa, inspired play.

Another win, up another place and Hereford don't seem unbeatable.

See you all next Saturday.