Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Reporter. End of a special relationship?

Noticed in last week's ( I think) Reporter that it has new owners.

From today's edition, that would seem to mean that we will no longer enjoy the great coverage we have been receiving for the last 2 years or so. Much reduced - no special focuses or previews of the next game, just 2 match reports, both by Charles Webster, so presumably we submitted them as they had nobody at either match.

Anyone know anything more definite?

EC

I'm sure that Chas will be happy to give you chapter and verse, but broadly you are correct.

I didn't know that there were new owners, but both Matt Panting and Gary Hitchcock have left. I think Matt has gone to the Messenger so the coverage in there may improve.

Archant have bought the Reporter (they own papers in Essex and Herts, and a lot of regional magazines), the paper's employing a new sports editor and sports reporter, and apparently there's moves afoot to expand into Charlton and Palace coverage (in other editions, not necessarily the Gravesend one)... one of the reasons for the staff exodus apparently!

real shame because they use to have Fleet news as well and thats where i got mine from with the c**p website not working.

REAL SHAME and Chas Webster gave Mitten 5 against Barnet i would give him -5.

take it then Messenger and Reporter will be Charlton papers now. Messenger does about a paragraph about us each week while Charlton get a page and half.

Could be worse, I suppose. I remember a time back in the 80s, I think, when we had played 2 games in a week & neither appearerd in The Reporter. To rub salt in the wound their then new owners showed their faultless understanding of the local football scene by including in-depth reports on Corinthian & Dartford. Sent their 'Sports' Editor a polite enquiry & recieved diddly squat in response.

If they do end up sprawling Charlton & Palace reports across the Gravesend edition, at our expense, I will be saving myself a princely 35p per week.

EC

Quote:
Unrecognized Genius said:From today's edition, that would seem to mean that we will no longer enjoy the great coverage we have been receiving for the last 2 years or so. Much reduced - no special focuses or previews of the next game, just 2 match reports, both by Charles Webster, so presumably we submitted them as they had nobody at either match.EC

To be fair, match previews have been missing from the paper for a few weeks now. Perhaps they are downsizing gradually so we don't notice? grin.gif

Quote:
Richard C said:
Quite right i will be saving the £. . . i only buy the paper for the fleet news (and sunday league) and i sahll refuse to purchase if this goes ahead . . just when we need MORE coverage not LESS!! huh!

that is the only reason i buy the reporter, as for the rest of the paper, its as much use as our web site.....(enough said) mad.gif

How poor - how can a supposedly "local" paper, called (may I remind the new owners?) the "GRAVESEND" Reporter, reduce their coverage of the the only professional team in the town?? Like others, I rarely read much of the rest of the paper, and without decent Fleet coverage again, I will be another to cease buying the paper.

It could be that they have no sports reporters left of course, as someone else aid - they really need to to sort it out (the rest of their local Saturday and Sunday footie coverage looked to have been cut back last week as well)

Quote:
Alan W (GNFC) said:
How poor - how can a supposedly "local" paper, called (may I remind the new owners?) the "GRAVESEND" Reporter, reduce their coverage of the the only professional team in the town??

I think they (or one or two of them that pull the strings) would argue - and this isn't my point of view, I'm merely repeating what I've heard - that there are more Charlton fans in Gravesend than Gravesend fans. Rubbish, of course, but Charlton probably look a whole lot more 'trendy' to an editor/director that wants to up sales figures.

Imagine if Scally came to town - the papers would be fawning all over the little weasle!

Quote:
I think they (or one or two of them that pull the strings) would argue - and this isn't my point of view, I'm merely repeating what I've heard - that there are more Charlton fans in Gravesend than Gravesend fans.

If thats the case they should be reporting on Arsenal Chelsea Spurs West Ham and Man Utd as there are more fans of those clubs than Charlton in the area.

The coverage may not have been as good recently, probably due to the staff changes. Let's wait and see what happens before dumping the Reporter because of a few speculative rumours. Maybe a couple of bitter and twisted ex employees starting them off!

Let's not forget what the Reporter has done for our club over recent years and especially standing aside for Gladwish so we could get all that vital dosh! Where might we be now if that hadn't have happened, eh?

My source tells me a new sports editor will be in place soon, if not already, and the Fleet coverage will not suffer at all. If anyone has concerns then let the Reporter know as they wish to continue the good relationship with the club.