Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Our defence

We really need to get that sorted - 1 clean sheet this season says it all - and 19 conceded in 13 games is not the way to earn a top 5 finish come the end of the season.

Its ok being the leagues 3rd highest scorers, but if we cant defend, we cant progress.

I know we've had injuries, but this has been a consistent theme over the last 3 seasons.

If, as we and Andy now seem to suspect, our defensive record is poor, where are the problems? Moore's not had as a good season this year, but he was still immense last season. Most of us seem to rate Porter and Shearer, I'd rather have Skinner than Lovell and indeed I think Skinner's one of our most underrated players, leaving only a question mark over Protheroe and Gledhill... and Protheroe's recently been finding the consistency of crosses he supplied last season.

It's difficult to know where to begin changing it if that's what we needed to do!

I will concentrate on the last one as that was up the end I was.

Ball down by our left corner flag , 3 or 4 players in a tussle , ball breaks to Skins ( I believe ) who knocks it inside to Moussa, Moussa carries the ball 4 or 5 yards then proceeds to pass the ball directly across our area to Proths, however pass under hit and leaves proths with a 30:70 challenge. proths has to stretch and arrives late, free kick awarded. Goal scored direct from free kick.

First was scored as I was going into ground, so don't really know how it occured. The second was a corner which went to the far post, and was headed back to near post where the guy put it in.

All over the park we gave the ball away too cheaply, but as long as we learn from this, we will continue to move forward.

Up the Fleet . Well done to all that made the trip. Looked about 100 of us , and with England playing on the same day, thats not a bad turnout.

Quote:
It would have helped yesterday, if our midfielders passed to team mates rather than keep giving the ball away. It left us exposed and in the end cost us a point.

Defence is not just about the guys in the back line , it starts futher up the pitch.

You may well be right regarding the above, although it wasn't just the midfield, the front players couldn't seem to hold the ball up. Manny
had a bit of a stinker, and Roy wasn't at his best. Although Sidibe's sloppy pass gave away the free kick, third goal was down to Wilko IMO, you could see exactly where Ducros was going to place it, and most keepers would have saved it. And it was hearts in our mouths stuff with his clearances again

At least we can take some comfort from the fact that in Burton's 'keeper, we have found a 'keeper whose kicking is worse than Wilko's - he barely had a single kick that went down the middle of the park yesterday.

Heard Graham Porter on Radio Kent on Saturday evening saying that Andy is concerned about the way we defend set pieces.

I have thought for a long time that one of our problems is that we bring too many players back to defend in these situations. This allows the opposition to put more players in the box, our players are not sure who is going to take responsibility to clear the ball, and if we do manage to clear it the ball comes striaght back because we aren't able to hold the ball up to enable an attack to start.

If we left Manny and Moussa up front, for instance, the opposition would normally have to hold back three defenders. Allowing for the goalkeeper and the free kick/corner taker it would mean they would only have six attackers in the box. Plus with Manny and Moussa's speed and skill, if the ball did get cleared we could really mount a significant counter attack. It would also make it easier for our goalkeeper to take control of the situation because he'd have fewer bodies around him getting in his way.

I'd personally say that what I've seen of the players so far this season, on form, I'd prefer Porter and Shearer as the centre backs. I think Moores not been a shade on what he was last season. However, I hear he's been better the last couple of games?

Anyway, on paper however, I'd say the defence is fine in terms of personnel, and it's just things like set pieces and getting the midfield to get back quicker that needs working on. Remember, part time teams don't get as much time to work on things like set pieces as full time teams.