Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A Legend Dies R.I.P.

UP FLEET

bill12.jpg

It is with deep regret that we announce the death of Bill Nicholson OBE. Bill passed away peacefully at a Hertfordshire hospital early this morning after a long fight against illness. He was 85. Tottenham Hotspur Chairman, Daniel Levy commented: “Bill’s death is a tragedy for the whole of football but particularly so for his family and all of us at Spurs. He was loved by everyone at White Hart Lane and there is no doubt that he in turn loved this Club. “He will never be forgotten. “Bill Nicholson devoted his whole life to Tottenham Hotspur and to our fans and will never be surpassed as the greatest individual in our history. “He lifted Spurs from mediocrity to the sublime as we became the first British club to win a European trophy and to so many wonderful achievements such as that special ‘Double’ of 1961. “Throughout it all, as player and manager, he did things his own way. His teams played with his own brand of attacking flair, entertaining all the way. Indeed he made our famous old Spurs cockerel crow with pride. “He was a giant of the game and was deservedly held in high esteem and with intense respect throughout football. He was our Club President and a man that we all looked up to and whose presence we sought. “We at Spurs owe it to Bill and to his memory to maintain his vision and to ensure that his achievements remain our inspiration in the years to come.

I haven't looked for a while to see if it's still there, but there used to be a notice in the players' tunnel, listing our most famous past players, including I believe those from the Northfleet United days & I'm almost certain Bill Nicholson was included.

More to the point, about 20 years ago or more, there were some really old photos going round in the bar & unless I really am going gaga, one was of a Northfleet United team, with Bill in the middle of the front row, as captain, holding either a trophy or one of those ancient heavyweight footballs.

EC