Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey 2 2 Burton

YELLOW

Two points lost I feel although a draw was about right.

Thought we looked sluggish and lacked ideas in attack whilst Burton look sharp and dangerous on the counter attack.

We went behind after a long range effort was deflected home by Mark Robins.

We could have equalised when Greggors was fouled in the box but Chenners blasted his penalty straight at the keeper and Ollie volleyed the rebound over.

Loanee Kevin Braniff who looked sharp throughout struck a shot wide but we created very litle.

We started the second half positively but still lacked ideas. Burton looked the most likely and might have gone further in front.

We got a little bit of luck when Tom Williamson's shot was deflected into the path of Greggors who finished superbly.

Ten minutes later we were 2-1 up when Kevin Braniff scored with a sublime chip, as real touch of class.

Unfortunately we allowed Burton back into the game when Dom misjudged a high ball and allowed Dale Anderson to get in and score with a low shot with 7 minutes to go.

Despite finishing the game on the offensive we couldn't find a third goal.

A draw was probably about right and now we need to really scrap for the points against Aldershot and Halifax (See they both lost in the FA Cup today).

Kevin Braniff was the real positive today showing some great touches, working hard and scoring a sublime goal.

Was it me or was Dave Mcghee playing the defensive midfield role?

Tom Williamson looked OK in midfield and Midgers worked hard on the left but saw very little of the ball.

Suppose a point is OK but we really needed to have won that game and certainly came close to doing so.

At half time I would have been happy with a point but we turned it right around in the 2nd half.

Why on earth Chenery took the penalty we will never know. I know Gregory has missed 1 penalty but he is captain and should have the guts to step up and take another one.

If we battle as much as we did in the 2nd half then we will be okay for the rest of the season. We do need to get some of the injured players back very soon.

Agree with all the above. Feel we lost two points today - and with shots and Halifax to come, we could have done with them.

We started slow and didn't really get into the game during the first half.

Again we gave away a soft goal, a wide shot that Robins just directed/deflected towards goal - more worrying was there was no one marking him.

There is about as much justification for Chenners to take a penalty as there is Cowans to take a free kick in front of goal. Chenners struck it well, but certainly not wide enough. Suprised Greggors as captain didn't take it or even let Braniff, as a forward, take it.

Felt McGhee and Williamson played well, as did Sterling except for the second half mistake. Generally felt the lads did try and put some effort into todays game. We were just slow off the blocks and some of the passing was wayward.

Second half we started to get into our stride and started to press especially after Williamson shot got deflected and fell to Greggors, who took it well for his 100th goal.

At that point we started to play how I know we can with some great touches that just started to tear Burton apart and give us opportunities.

At times we still try to hard, playing around the area with on touch passes etc. that give the opposition time to get players back behind the ball and eventually clear it after a challenge or mistake - but there was times in the second half where it was quick and the ball was being delivered faster.

Braniff latched onto a poor back pass, I believe, and lobbed the keeper beautifully. Think he settled in OK but in the first half he didn't win or look comfortable competing for aerial challenges.

Another defensive error lead to Burton getting a point.

Jeff seemed to mention another possible striker coming to the club - thats what I gathered from his interview on BBC Essex

It's a shame they had to let Chenners take it... I can't really think of much he did right today, including completing simple passes along the ground.

He's stil playing on the attack too much and hoofing the ball wherever his brain takes it, (9/10 times in the wrong direction!)

Don't get me wrong, he's been great in past seasons, but this really isn't his year and I think the expectations in the Conference are a little bit high for him.

The second I saw that he was stepping up to take the penalty, I knew there was not a chance he was going to score, just my instincts... I also predicted he would smack it over the bar (Do a Cowan.) It wasn't exactly a terrible penalty, but the chances of scoring from one like that are very slim.

I don't see why when we're desperate for points we're still not doing things how we're meant to be doing them.

At least a point came out of today, one good thing I suppose... Just a big shame we had to let it slip at the end.

perhaps chenners took the penalty because he scored 1 previously in Harlow's Match.. But i knew he was going to miss... as soon as he placed it..

we will have to hope and pray that every 1 gets back fit before christmas.

i think we played much better in the second half when ben sedgemore came on

After the first 45 minutes, all I could think was ‘here we go again’ we couldn’t string passes together (sterling having a very uncharacteristically poor game, with practically every pass going a stray) Burtons 1st goal shows exactly what happens if you put hard shots in from range, the slightest of touches can put them anywhere (why oh why don’t we do this anymore) but all in all it was a miserable 1st half. Then 20 minutes into the 2nd half Gregory knocked the ball into the back of the net (god it felt like forever since I had seen the net behind an apposing keeper bulge) all of a sudden the clouds over park lane had lifted. The fans behind the goal found their voices and it was almost back to the good old days (god it has been a long half a season) passes seemed to be going where they should be, people were moving off the ball and half of park lane were loving it (it felt good seeing an oppositions fans silenced, then a wonderful chip (I feel the 1st time in the game Braniff showed what he can really do) and that was it we were on our way to our 1st league win since the middle of October. But no it wasn’t to be, the second that long ball went up 8 minutes from the end a goal was imminent, and it seemed most of the fans in the ground new it. As disappointment spread throughout the terraces (damn that’s almost poetic) the team tried their best but it wasn’t to be. After our 1st half performance a draw was fair but loosing 2 points from the only attack Burton had in the 2nd half just seemed a little unfair.

Braniff took the goal well and im sure we will see more from him in matches to come, Williamson had a fantastic game and was in my mind the man of the match with a wonderfully solid performance. Nice to see Gregory scoring (hell it was nice to see Canvey scoring). The penalty miss was a shame but if the whole crowd expected it to miss (and they all seemed too, me included) imagine how hard it was for chenners, at least he struck it well, just to close to the keeper, that beats out last few penalties. The ref was terrible but aren’t they always and hell at least this one was crap to both sides.

All in all it’s a step up, hopefully we can keep it up for Tuesday night.

Sorry to go on for so long, im bored.

Yawn, Yawn, Yes, Ohhh No!!!, Yawn,yawn. (HT) Coffee Slurp, Slurp. Whistle. Mnnn bit better, Yesss, Better, come on you Yellows, Yessssssss, Ohhhhh Nooo!! Sh*te!

Go home want to kick the cat, its called 'Cooking Fat' as a result of coming home pissed one night and tripping over it, my son happened to be around when the cat screamed, hence its new name was changed from 'Tom' to 'Cooking Fat'.

Wives do come in handy at times..

Here are my brief views on the game.

Other than the 4 goals scored, don’t believe there was much other action around the goal with either keeper not being really tested.

Good Moments

Another point on the board and it was important we did not lose today.

Williamson, first time I have seen him and looks a good buy. Braniff, although appeared quiet on occasions, you felt that there was more of a presence up there today which seem to give the players a lift.

Not so good moments

Sloppy passing on occasions.

Ollie’s litle flicks around the penalty area to no one which reminded me of one of my Sunday team players. You should not give the ball away that easily and cheaply, especially at this level.

When Dom received the ball, he always pushes it too far ahead of him and either loses control, or just lumps it up the field and we lose possession.

A few hecklers behind the goal having a pop at Chenners. You fans are not worthy. I thought Chenners done okay today, apart from the obvious.

Distribution from the back wasn’t too good at times. We need the back the line to be able to give a short ball to a midfielder in good space who can build from there.

I’m sure 30 mins had gone by before we got near their goal.

In all, the boys really battled hard today. Just got to tidy up on a few basic things.

Keep it going lads and let’s hope that the hard game in Aldershot’s legs are still there when we play them. We must put in a performance on Tuesday to extinguish the memory of that awful second half last month.

i wasn't impressed with Braniff he was to quiet . can any one score a penalty apart from Boylan there isn't any one that can score penaltys, 5 penaltys he would have probly have scored the team is not the one from last year and the players are not showing as much commitment this year. there has only been a couple of players that you can say have given 100 percent every time they play and i hope that we start gettin the result we deserve.We are missing a couple of big players and i think the striker we have brought in is not as good as the one we have already (Boylan) a couple of millwall fans i have spoken to have said they would have Boylan instead of Braniff .I don't mean to be derogative but the team is not playing well and Jeff is tacticly inept.I think there is time for a shake up in the team!!!!!!

Braniff was quiet but to be fair to him it was the first time he had meet the players let alone played in the same team, i`m sure he will play better for us and he took his goal well when given the chance.

It seems that Chenery has taken over as the man the fans like to moan at, yes he`s made mistakes but i think he`s been our best defender this season.

What did Jeff have to say on the radio?

Anonymous - Pretty obvious statement that Lee is better than Braniff, he's always going to be...

Lee's an amazing player, no doubt, Braniff is still young and I expect he has a lot of potential. You can never rate a player on his debut, it's pretty rare for someone to even score on one.

It sounds to me as though you're moaning about Braniff playing instead of Lee... How the hell can you play an injured player?

Err.. That's about as much as I can make sense of.

It seems to me that from saturdays performance we seemd to like to play backward football. The amount of time i was shouting at the players to pass forwards was amazing It seems that the players think that the ball will suddenly appear at their feet if the don't run into spaces!!. As soon as cheners was giongo to take that penalty i could tell we were going to miss it. I though thought that braniff played well, and that the remark about not going for many headers was a bit out of order, as the ball was to high for him to head in the first place. I though dom was execeptional in the 2nd half apart from the equaliser. I agree that there seems to be no committment from most players, maybe they are not getting shouted at enough or given that big kick up the backside to make them play better. I think i have had a moan for today, so lets hope for a better performance on Tuesday!!

The Burton view of the game taken from their forum. I think it`s the first time this season we`ve been called physical!

Derby Evening Telegraph - Copyright - ANDERSON REMINDS

ANDERSON ISSUES A REMINDER

- 06 December 2004

Dale Anderson's brilliant late strike upstaged Mark Robins' first Conference goal as Burton Albion battled for a point at Canvey Island on Saturday.

It was a point Albion deserved, although their hosts worked hard to overturn a first-half deficit and take a 2-1 lead with only 15 minutes left.

For Anderson, the 83rd-minute equaliser he conjured from the unlikeliest of situations will be especially sweet.

Struggling both for form and with a back injury, he could not fail to have noticed that all the talk in the last fortnight has been about the promising new strike partnership formed by Robins and Jon Shaw.

When Robins finally succumbed to a heavy cold after 65 minutes, Anderson had 25 to remind people he is still around.

He had already shown some good touches but, with the Brewers heading for defeat and defending in depth, not much was expected when Craig Dudley hoofed a steepling clearance out of his own penalty area.

It bounced near the edge of Canvey's box and even when Anderson gathered it first, he had big defender Dominic Sterling breathing down his neck and Ben Chenery covering behind.

Yet, in a couple of touches, he skipped away from both and struck an instinctive first-time shot past goalkeeper Danny Potter's left hand into the bottom corner.

In the first half, the Brewers had looked likely to be coming home with more than the one point.

After a forgettable first 15 minutes, they took an 18th-minute lead with a simple goal that demonstrated Robins' class.

Aaron Webster powered forward out of defence and through the middle before mistiming a 25-yard shot.

It was going well wide at pace but it had to pass Robins, 10 yards out, on the way and he steered it with deliberate precision into the bottom corner of the net; a chance many players would have snatched at.

Albion went on to dominate the half and were boosted further when Canvey blew their best chance in the 28th minute, the referee deciding that Lee Ayres had fouled Neil Gregory as the pair fell in a tangle in the area.

Ben Chenery's penalty was well-struck but Dan Crane pulled off a marvellous save full length to his right.

Webster was close to a second goal when he glanced a header narrowly wide from Andy Ducros' free kick and Robins saw another shot deflected to give Potter a comfortable save.

It was a different Canvey in the second half, the home side pushing Burton back, although it might have been a different story when Sam Shilton embarked on an astonishing 50-yard run in the 57th minute, starting at halfway on the left and finishing with a dangerous low cross from the right byline, which Potter spilled.

Shaw was lurking but his close-range shot squeezed past the far post off a defender.

Seven minutes later, Canvey were level when neither Andy Corbett and Crane claimed John Kennedy's cross from the right and Gregory forced in his 100th goal for Canvey at the far post.

Their tales up, the Essex side grabbed the lead after 72 minutes when Nigel Clough, who otherwise had an effective game, miskicked in midfield, spooning an intended clearance into a ball over the top of his defence.

Young striker Kevin Braniff reacted first and finished neatly with a lob over Crane.

It looked as if that might be enough for a physical Canvey side who were fortunate not to pile up more bookings.

More than half of them brought down Ducros at one time or another and Sterling's late tackle on Shaw left the striker with an ugly wound down his leg which makes him a doubt for tomorrow's game against Morecambe.

If he is out, however, it will be a rejuvenated Anderson who is first in the queue to replace him

SHUT UP YOU WHINGING TARTS... if you want to watch us duffing up heybridge or strut our fancy passing stuff against some dross from an inner city slum then fine, why dont you hope we get relegated back to the fking ryman.. i on the other hand appreciate that the current opposition are very much better than the last 5 years of ryman prem..

nearly all of these conf boys play a defensive game and play on the break at pace .. and thats PACE.. not 'ryman pace' you cant expect our boys to adapt our fancy dandy pretty football to that in 4 months, but at some stage they will.. we will get on top of this new type of pace football, and when we do it will be by playing 'football'.. confronting the new physical challenge and getting up to the speed of the game..

if you want to watch what most of the bottom half of the table play then fine.. i hope to see us playing what hereford dished out when the came here.. i hope to see us do to the shots what we did to stevenage.. .. thats gonna take time, maybe not this season when all that matters is staying up .. maybe not even next.. but to slag of the players at this stage is bollox, to say they aint trying is double bollox.. when was the last time you did a great job for a few years then got promoted and instantly became the ace face ..?

fking hell we are 9 points of the drop zone and in the same ball park as the fleet, daggers et al.. moan whinge bleat.. if i was kingy i'd fk off and buy southend

I think we should all just calm down as we have all been moaning recently. I suppose it is hard to accept mid table, 9 points from the drop and losing 4-0 but we are just gonna have to deal with it.

Attendances will probably go down because the hangers on will have got fed up of late, so that means we really need to cheer the boys on and in the words of Bon Jovi... Keep the Faith! (I'm gonna get it for that cheesy comment, aren't i? I'm sure Ken will be the first!)

i think people are complaning because the performance of the team has droped more than the level of the aponant. i for one think the team are doing OK but know they can do better and that is where the frustration comes in

and Chalky BON BLOODY JOVI you a women or something

But how can you judge the performances when we have never played at this level before? Yes we have beaten teams fom the Conference in the past but now we have to play to that level every game and we are finding it tough. The team have to get it together on the pitch but us supporters have to have faith in them and stop calling for changes everytime someone makes a mistake.