Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Woking Game

YELLOW

A bit pissed off after this game. Felt it was there for the taking but once again we didn't stamp our advantage enough and conceded two shoddy goals.

We started brightly in the opening 10 minutes with Ollie having a good chance and one cleared off the line but then Woking started to settle and we found it difficult to get hold of the ball.

We took the lead when Duffers drilled in a low cross that hit Ollie and went in. Our inability to close down the game cost us dear as we gave the ball away and the ball was worked out to Raphael Nade to equalise on half time for Woking.

Second half we stepped it up a bit and started to dominate. Dave Theobald blazed an effort over and Greg Pearson was starting to look a handful. He put an effort across the face of goal that Greggors couldn't quite reach as we started to look the more likely side to score.

From a corner, Greggors headed the ball down and there was an almighty scramble with Ollie eventually nudging the ball home despite protests from several Woking players.

Lee Boylan came on for the final ten minutes or so but we were beginning to lose possesion of the ball too easily and from a breakaway Woking won a penalty from a Chenners foul although it did look as if the Woking player made a real meal of going down.

Ian Selley scored the penalty with ease and Woking looked the more likely side to win it in the last few minutes althogh Theobald forced the keeper into a spectacular save in the dying seconds.

So another 2 points lost. Woking looked an OK side but felt we did enough to win the game today. Sedgy really stood out for me today. Rarely gave the ball away. Greg had a decent second half and Greggors won everything in the air.

Again the defence is the main worry. We make too many elementary mistakes that get punished and this needs to be stopped.

Good to see Lee back but don't expect too much of him straight away. He is slowly getting his match fitness back and I doubt he'll be beck to his full potential until January.

Still things are slowly improving. Bring on the Daggers!!

you canvey fans really are as bad as your ground, do you not watch your games or something, yes we played poorly today but you are really an awfull team and everything about your team (except Boylan), ground, tactics are nowhere near Conference standard. please [censored] off back to where you came from.

The ref was crap - get over it Woking and move on.

Woking played poor and it seems all the mid table teams play "poor" when the result doesn't go their way.

As for our [censored] ground, why don't you tell us something we don't know. Oh and one big fancy stand that you can't fill doesn't make you the bee's knees in the Conference where stands are concerned.

Give Woking one thing they have the most sour grapes fans in the Conference, well so far.

At the end of the day our ground, opinions, tactics and fans have f**k all to do with you. The officials were very poor and you got a point.

Now [censored] off back to your own forum where you can join in the banter amongst other sour fans claiming you were cheated, robbed, the pitch, the ref, the flood lights and the sea breeze meant that you will remain a mid table team.

Hello Yellow mate

I was there today and all the people, stewards, fans, girlies in the bar, tea bar personnel were superb on a bitterly cold day.

Enjoyed it mate, thought JK outstanding, he was covered in mud after 30 minutes, but then I would say that.

Didn't see you but you were obviously there.

cheers

The nearer London Connection

Quote:
you canvey fans really are as bad as your ground, do you not watch your games or something, yes we played poorly today but you are really an awfull team and everything about your team (except Boylan), ground, tactics are nowhere near Conference standard. please [censored] off back to where you came from.

What's got up your nose then? I don't see anybody slagging off your team on this thread. If you have nothing useful to say then go back to your own forum and moan there because imbeciles like you are not wanted on this forum!

Quote:
Hello Yellow mate
I was there today and all the people, stewards, fans, girlies in the bar, tea bar personnel were superb on a bitterly cold day.
Enjoyed it mate, thought JK outstanding, he was covered in mud after 30 minutes, but then I would say that.
Didn't see you but you were obviously there.
cheers
The nearer London Connection

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I was behind the Canvey goal in the first half and in the bike sheds in the second. Was in the bar before the game standing near the big screen but it was so packed in there I probably wouldn't have seen you.

Jonnie was outstanding again and has been our best player this season.

Come down again when you are at a loose end sometime, Max.

Ummmmmmmm was hoping to see a few footballing comments from Woking "fans" regarding the game, the officials and our second goal - instead all I read is our fans, ground, players and tactics were s**t - not very constructive Woking Fans.

Had a feeling before the game we would get something today and would have been happy with a point before the kick off. We settled into the game very well from the start, far better than Woking, and created two good chances within the first 5 or so minutes. We seemed steady at the back in the first half and Pearson was extremely busy, if unproductive. Keeling, my man of the match, was very busy first half and a big thorn in their side beating their fullbacks on numerous occassions and getting the ball in the box which in turn gave us opportunities.

Gutted we conceeded a first half injury time goal, couldn't really see it but it looked like there may have been a bit of slack defending.

Unlike some previous games at half time I still felt we looked as though we could take all three points from the amount of opportunities and chances we were creating. Some Woking fan mentioned that they were playing rather poor today - couldn't comment on that but they did seem a lot better side today than the one I saw at Kingfield.

Seems that Woking also objected quite strongly to our second goal. I was at the other end and again can't really comment, but Pearson didn't seem to react when the ball went out, so was expecting a goal kick. In the scramble that ensued from the corner and header I was waiting for the ref to blow the whistle - but he didn't. The officials were quite poor today and I think most of the Woking "bitterness" is really down to this - thats football - some games decisions go for you and on others you feel like you get nothing.

Wardy took a bit of a knock on his last challenge just before he was subbed - not sure if this was why he was subbed? We did struggle at times in the second half to contain the Woking front men for pace and strength - their number 19 was extremely strong physically on the challenge and containing the ball, but I would not have said he was a dirty player. Think this is where Midgely started to struggle IMHO - he wasn't big enough, skillful enough or strong enough to ride the Woking challenges and started to fade in the second half.

Anonymous said he was in line with Chenners run and that he didn't foul the Woking player. I was standing the other side of the goal but had a touch of deja vu and felt before he made the tackle that the guy was going to go down. It was one of those tackles where you needed to stand your ground or be inch perfect and connect with the ball - unfortunately Chenners did neither and again we lost two valuable points. He did protest to the ref after the game , but its far to late at that point and after being sent off at Halifax I noticed a few people having a pop at him from behind the goal today.

After todays game I am quietly confident of grinding out a result of sorts against the Daggers - it's starting to get very tight in the lower part of the table. Agree with Yellow, it was good to see Lee have a 15 minute run out to improve his match fitness but I'm not expecting to much at the moment.

I was a little bit surprised that Smithy didn't come on for Wardy. In the last 20 minutes we had absolutely no pace at the back and looked really vulnerable.

looked a penalty to me i was right in line then.. if he didnt touch and the player went down then it was a top job and the ref would have had no option from where he was standing school boy error from chenners im afraid.. looks like we are starting to get some form back and if woking are mid to upper table i am sure we will start to get some results soon.. mind you daggers seem to be in good form at the moment should be a tough test on saturday

Oi CANV!! You didn't say hello to me in the second half!!

Chenners has become a liability these days. We need to shore up in defence. At times today we just looked unorganised and barring a few last ditch tackles could have gone down by many more. On a plus side, our attacking play was consistant, even if a tad uneffective. We lack ideas upfront and without keeling would surely be in that relegation zone by now. Duffer done well for the first goal and noticed that all the woking defenders were shouting at each other rather than watching the play. Excellent move and great goal. Can't comment on the Woking goal as I was too far away but it seemed the ref was just waiting for them to score before blowing for H/T. Chenner tackle was terrible and needs to learn to stay on his feet.....in the Ryman, players were slower and less skillful than the conference and diving in is the last thing you want to do.

I think 3 points were there for the taking today and barring a few stupid defensive errors, it would have been in the bag. My only thought is that our last game of the season at Forest Green, could be more important than we thought it would be!

Quote:

I think 3 points were there for the taking today and barring a few stupid defensive errors, it would have been in the bag. My only thought is that our last game of the season at Forest Green, could be more important than we thought it would be!

almost time to start looking at the goal difference!! ;-)

I thought we had finally picked up the elusive 3 points but it wasn`t to be, again! We started really well and had early chances to score which we need to take if we are to continue to play at this level.

Pearson looks a lot better when he`s got the ball at his feet running at defenders, he seems to favour the wide areas rather than straight down the middle.

Can`t really moan about the penalty, Chenery didn`t make a lot of contact with their forward but it was enough to give away the pen.

Them lot probably aren't real Woking fans, just some of the trolls we seem to get.

FWIW, I agree about your ground and if Kingfield does have one advantage it's more the quality of the terrace rather than the stand. But I could see, so enough of that, and I (belatedly) got parked, so we'll let that slide too.

I don't think we could have been much worse if we tried in the first half, but second you caused problems and credit to a side with such a poor home record for doing so. However, the whole game was spoilt (Our 3rd in a row) by incompetent officiating, the ref was one from the Paul Vosper academy, and that lino must be Russian. The ball was over the line for your second, but only because the bloke who scored it kicked Basso into the goal with it, at the THIRD attempt.

Anyhow - a point is better than none, and we'll move on to beating Farmblubber.

If you boys could sort out Dagenham, that'd be excellent.

Kanu's Nan

Quote:
where were you? i was on the main terrace then in the bus stop for half an hour then strolled back to the far corner to get away sharpish, just in time to see chenners fk my day up.

I was in the bike sheds second half standing right near you hollering abuse at the ref every so often. Was going to come over and say hello but didn't want to uncover your air of mystery!!

Tough earned point yesterday and just showed you again what a fine line to success and failure is in this division.

What a great 5 mins we had at the start and Ollie could of have one if he had connected with purpose.

In all, we battled well against a team whose size made some of them look like they were more suitable to Rugby. A very strong side where their two guys up front were still getting the ball, where they shouldn’t of done, through sheer physical presence even with 3 of ours around them at times, and is a feature of a lot of the conf type players.

Observations were:

Quite surprised that Ben came on for Wardy as I would of thought Buzz was the more suitable like for like replacement. That thought was probably enhanced when Ben brought the guy down for a pen where Buzz would have had the pace to have made a clean challenge.

I didn’t like the Moron who shouted out at Ben. Call yourself a supporter and what effect does that have, only negative.

We had no midfielders as subs.

McGhee was quite a weak link there yesterday. He done a lot of talking, but did not mark close enough and committed himself far too easily and laid to ground which enabled their men to have little knock backs from the bye line.

I thought we would win yesterday bearing in mind that Woking had played 2 days before, but they appeared to finish the stronger.

You just knew they were going to score just before half time with all that pressure we could not clear away properly.

At least we came away with a point and it will be case of just digging in there and trying to get something. Lee came on with 15 to go but it was too short a time for anything to happen in that period. It was a shame he wasn’t around in he first 5 mins as his finishing prowess if sharp enough may have got on the end of something.

All this is tough and we aren’t used to seeing the boys go without a win for so long. However, I enjoy seeing these games at an even higher level and appreciate the football from both teams. This is what it’s all about and hopefully the success will start to come back again when we have mastered the style of play. I think a more physical presence in there too would help, and that’s not meaning just tackling but sheer body mass with agility.

Thankfully Burton won at York today resulting in us staying 16th rather than dropping down. We're now a point above Burton (17th) and 3 points behind Gravesend (15th) of which we have Boxing Day's game in hand.