Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

As far as you can go??

Does anyone else get the feeling that Canvey have got as far as they can go? Ok you probably will maintain a mid to lower place in the Conference but I cant see you go anywhere from there. Firstly there is not the fan base or even potential fan base to be able to finance what would be needed to achieve greater things and the fans that do turn up occasionally appear to be very fickle and would rather watch Canvey winning every game in the Ryman than losing frequently at a better standard of football. Secondly the chances of getting a new stadium appear very slim and to be honest having it off the island is an insane idea. Theres no reason why anyone in Basildon would go and see you lot any more than they do now. Thirdly the question is will Jeff King keep bank-roling you forever when season after season you lose more than you win. I mean its been fine so far in the lower leagues but as with most of the fans, a few bad results and they seem to turn their backs. Dont get me wrong I'm not taking a pop, its just what seems to be happening.

Timo

Talking out of your anus, and stating the bleeding obvious.

This is our 1st season at this level and have a growing support from areas like Basildon, Southend and Thurrock this will grow with the development of our new stadia. Either on the Island or maybe at Sadlers farm.

We will consolidate this year and grow slowly and surely. a few years ago I remember a muppet like you saying exactly the same comments about us getting in the Ryman Prem.

Come from behind your unregistered veil and lets see who you are or will that spoil your mischeif making.

first point canvey has more people for a fan base than most, very few people have 50,000 people in a definite area to draw upon. The low turnouts are due to poor advertising and lack of awareness not lack of people, and I don't think canvey fans are any more fickle than any other team, we have got used to watching us win every week, it is hard to watch that change.

your second point is nonsense, it would make no sense not to get a new stadium, the area that park lane is on at the moment is worth an absolute fortune in real estate, that is money that Im sure the council want to get their hands on, I hear there are rules on building on it but Im sure people will find ways around that, they usually do.

even if the ground did move off the island (Im sure it wont) why would it move as far a field as basildon, there are many more locations closer to canvey.

third point, who knows what goes on in Jeff's mind, who knows how long he will keep funding the team, but as long as he does, it is in his interest to make sure the club makes money, if he does pull out then someone else will step in and we would adapt, most of the teams in the premiership don't make money, but no one is walking out on them.

lets remember that canvey isn't loosing fans, they are still there it is just the other teams in the league have more, with a new stadium in a more prominent place and the exposure it will bring the fans will come.

staying up has to be the teams priority and I genuinely believe we will do that, and then we can see how it goes next season. lets not forget there are allot of things we can do as a team to improve, new players brought in, switching from part time to full time, better facilities to name a few. we are a team on the rise and we have to build the structure as we go, most clubs in the league are on their way down and have the structure already.

as far as how far can I see canvey go, as far as we want given a long enough time scale. with a bit of luck and hard work I can see us ending mid table this season, and if we learn why not the play offs next season. its a tight league, if we had won 5 games that we drew we would be in the playoffs now. if next season we aren't any better then we should start worrying.

sorry to gable on for so long, Im bored at work

Cor sounds like MOB is a bit touchy on this subject eh.

On the first point, with the third lowest average attendence in the Conference and only just above notoriously small teams like Forest Green and Leigh RMI is hardly encouraging considering its your first season up and even more so as a considerable chunk of those nubers must be away fans. How many core fans do you really have? I'd take a guess at about 200-400, which would be difficult to build upon.

As for 'poor advertising and lack of awareness', well I'd say you have a lot more publicity than most local teams and only scrape a few more fans. I mean how much more publicity can you get than being live on tele and getting to the Trophey final! Promotion and just being in the Conference itself should have been enough for a dramatic increase.

You're right, there's no point in talking about the ground cos thats been covered enough as it is. It would be good for Essex football if Canvey could get a ground that fitted your status but I was just making the point that without a dramatic increase in crowds then surely this couldnt be justified.

As for Jeff KIng well I hope for your sake that he doesnt pull out. Anyway I would wish you the best for the rest of the season but... I wouldnt mean it.

By the way MOB I put my name I just didnt bother signing in, so stop being a cocky git

most teams in the conference with a large following are ex league that have kept their fan base, we are still building one, 10 years ago you would be lucky to see 40 people at a canvey match now you see nearly a thousand. last season I think we had an average of about 600 so it is growing. also it grows exponentially, the more people you get the more people they tell. we are a team that has grown very fast it takes time it takes time.

I really dont see a problem with attendances yet.

I started watching Canvey in their last season in the Essex Senior League and i remember only about 40-50 fans being there and the ground was smaller than most peoples gardens. Every year since, the fan base has grown and grown and although it hasn't improved dramatically this season, we still have the same amount of support from home fans as we did last season and its slowly growing.

I recently went to the Woking and Dagenham games and was surprised at how many turned up. I know that it was a local derby against the Daggers but it was also New Years Day and there were loads of Canvey fans.

As for moving to another ground, it can only benefit us. The more successful or bigger we get, the more people from around will want to see a higher level of football. Southend get fans from as far as East London watching them because they are a professional club. We are not far off achieving that goal and we will get much more of a fan base.

The more successful we get, the less focus there is on us being Canvey. What i mean by that is not a lot of people want to travel onto the Island because its too far out and because it really isn't a great place either. But the higher we climb, the more people will focus on wanting to see a higher level of football and not that we are situated at the [censored] end of Essex. And a move to a stadium nearer Benfleet station would also help this happen.

Went upstairs on the double-decker on the way home from the station tonight. As the bus slowed down for the jam down Somnes, I looked over towards the lights of the running track and was trying to imagine what a new stadium would look like over there.

My thoughts were that this development could look really impressive and be a dominant feature, rather than the distant chimneys.

I was trying to imagine the appeal this would bring and could only think that this would attract many more to the club.

To be honest, when comparing what we have now to what we might have, it would be a new fresh start for a whole new fanbase.

Presume money will come from Jeff, various grants and the council.

Although I have no doubt Jeff bank roles the club to whatever degree - you must remember that along with the success Canvey have gained income through cup games being shown and competition money has also filled the kitty. Lets face it - with regard to the ground and facilities, Canvey do not live beyond their means. Although I grant you the clubs wage bill WAS probably higher than the norm.

Not worried about the number of supporters. It's already been mentioned that we have remained fairly constant and are growing from what was humble "beginnings" from the not to distant past. Away supporters do make up a percentage of the crowd, but it varies depending upon whom you are playing and whether it is local. Even ex league clubs have fickled fans and I'm sure the appeal of watching their club play away at Canvey is not as great as travelling to another "ex league team" the following week. Also you can't judge our average until the end of the year - others have already played the likes of Carlisle and Exeter at home - we have yet to add these numbers to our home average.

Do feel we need to attract a few more local businesses for sponsorship - although bigger companies.

The same questions that are being asked of us can also be asked of others such as Grays. They don't have the greatest of grounds, they have a small fan base, they have one main backer (I believe), but haven't gone to mad with expenditure. The only difference over the past few years has been the success Canvey have had obtaining money from competitions such as the FA Trophy etc.

I don't think we should be looking at the past or even the present - its key things such as a new ground and remaining in the Conference that will determine how far Canvey as a club can go in the future.

The thing about Grays is it's a bigger town than Canvey and the ground is nearer the town centre so in theory they should attract decent support. Although recently their crowds have shot up their average crowd has always hovered around the 350-400 mark.

In fairness we don't do badly for crowds although a few more through the turnstiles would be very nice.

But the point with Grays I suppose is that there are several other fairly decent teams round that way like Purfleet and Thurrock to get fans instead. Maybe Southend has the same effect as these though

TimO

I did not realise it was you, you have got some front coming on hear asking have we gone as far as we can go.

Last year all you lot wanted to do was to move to Basildon, Rod Moores money attached to Stadia Developments was gonna make ricay the top side in Essex and you were gonna go all the way.

I warned you all to be careful and you argued no way Rod is our saviour Stadia Management are gonna change the world.

I said time and again it wont happen. I spent many lively weeks explaining to you and your thick mates that Rod was gonna sell up and Stadia management was gonna drop you like a stone.

I did not recognise the name I sure recognised the bull s&*t.

I have a good mind to send you a horses head.

Pi&& OFF ACROSS THE 127 and buy a brain.

dont really understand what you're trying to get across here MOB because Ricay are now in a much better position than we have been for years and certainly since Rod Moore was here when your talking bout. Looking good for promotion, up there with the biggest crowds in the league and a full programme of ground improvments in progress, which has just started with a great new clubhouse etc. By the way as for giving head well I'll leave that to you sunshine.

Speaking as a neutral (Bowers & Pitsea Fan), the situation is thus. You only have to look at the uniqueness of the amount of South East Essex Football clubs.

Essex Senior League clubs aside, we have Canvey Island, Grays Ath, Thurrock, Aveley, Tilbury, East Thurrock Utd, Great Wakering Rovers et al, not to mention Southend Utd and various London Premiership/Championship clubs.

Granted not all command the support of the more successful clubs, but it does dissipate, through word of mouth, publicity, rivalry, the potential support for any individidual club.