Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey 2 2 Northwich

YELLOW

Quite an eventful game as we came back from the dead to get a draw.

We were awful in the first 20 minutes and conceded two diabolical goals thanks to defensive errors.

We finally woke up and Mario Noto forced the keeper into two decent saves as we gradually got on top. Duffers scored on 41 minutes with a terrific 30 yard shot and minutes later Mints burst through but dragged his shot wide.

In the second half we continued to dominate possesion but couldn't find the killer touch. Northwich threatened to score a third on the break and at times the ball wasn't quite falling for us.

Mario was causing problems with his skill but Vics defence was holding firm as we went into the last few minutes. Ollie snatched at a chance and then the most disgusting challenge I have ever seen watching football.

Northwich's Mark Quayle went in with a quite sickening challenge on Ben Chenery in injury time. It looks like Chenners has broken his leg and will be out for sometime. Quayle received just a yellow from the hopelessly inept ref.

If Mr Quayle is reading this, then God help him because he should never play football again. That tackle has possibly ended a player's career so I hope he's happy. He should think seriously about taking part in a game against Canvey again because he will not be welcome.

Back to the game, deep into injury time we won a free kick about 25 yards out. Lee struck a fine low shot into the bottom corner to send the yellow army wild. There was still time for Northwich to put one across the face of goal and for Lee to head powerfully into the side netting.

So an eventful game. At times our defending was quite appalling and we could have conceded a hatful. Mario looked very impressive and his first touch and passing was quite excellent. Loan signing Steve Burton also looked quite good. Held the ball up well.

Don't think we dserved more than a draw and still some quite worrying signs. The defence definitely needs to be sorted but at times we played some really decent football

Our defence needs a major overhaul.

As far as I am concerned, I thought it very unwise to expect Wardy to play after all that he has been through this week.

Someone tell me why Theobald was dropped, I thought that his run of games had been faultless, how are we expected to have a settled defence or team come to that, if we are forever changing players that are giving a good performance.

Cracking goal from Duffy and Lee and Mario Noto was magnificent!!

An eventful game to say the least and we were very lucky to get a point.

It was certainly the most bad tempered game of the season so far. Canvey were certainly no angels but Northwich were a total disgrace with some of the tackles that were flying in. I hope Chener's is ok. The tackle looked very bad and a stronger ref would have sent their player off.

The ref was very poor and completly lost control of the game in the last 20 minutes and was out of his depth. I would love to know the age of that ref he can't have been more than 19.

I loved Jeff's comments on BBC Essex after the game. Certainly not afraid to be hit with a fine, after calling the Ref useless about three or four times.

Sounded like he was ready to hunt Quayle down!

we love quayle we l;ove quayle your ground is [censored] your fans are [censored] your taem [censored] and canvey is [censored] and i hope that your player is ok we are staying up we are staying up

Give Quayley a break, he isn't a malicious type player and having seen him play many times he hasn't got a harmful bone in him. OK the tackle was wrekless but I'm sure he'll be the first to wish your player a speedy recovery. Hope we PLAY YOU NEXT SEASON, good luck for the rest of this season. Oh and what a cracker from an ex- Vics LAD WHO WAS VERY POPULAR AT OUR OLD GROUND.

I know many supporters have given Chenners some criticism this season but I hope and pray his injury is not too serious. He has been a great servant for the club and a wholehearted player. OK he has not been great this season but he does not deserve the injury he got today.

All the best Chenners and get back on the pitch soon mate.

It seemed weird that the incident happened today.. Was a weird day all round to be honest.

I felt that Chenners was having one of the best games i've seen him play all season, for it to have been stopped that way is nothing but sickening. I hope the player gets what he deserves for it.

As for one of the players I've really thought highly of this season, Dom Sterling, he seemed to have the worst game I've seen him play this season.

Keeling, who has been on fire nearly every game this season failed to appear a threat on many occasions, and seemed to be playing the role that Ben Sedgemore has played for many matches this season.

I think it's about time we made a revamp of the team, no matter how much you love Greggors, it's time to admit that he really cannot appear a threat in this league. A real shame as I do agree we could do with a tall striker.

Would be great to see the new face Burton to team up with Lee and see just what they can produce together. Although he wasn't really given a decent opportunity today, he seemed to know how to get himself noticed.

I can only hope it can go up from this, and I also wish Chenners a speedy recovery and all my best wishes, get well soon mate.

what was really strange about the quayle incident was that it's the first challenge he's put in all season - honestly!

It's that that makes me think it wasn't malicious, just slow and clumsy - albeit with devastating circumstances. I too thought he was lucky to stay on.

Hope your player makes a speedy recovery.

I thought that Chenners was having his worst game of the season!! However, whatever Vics fans may say that was more than just a wreckless challenge, that was blatantly payback for something else that must have occured in the game.

Here's wishing Ben a speedy recovery

The Great Eckscape

Thought Dom had an awful game. He gave the ball away so many times and was easily beaten on several occasions.

Burton looked quite useful when he came on. Would like to see him start against Hereford.

Seemed a bit surreal yesterday. Cold, extremely windy, overcast with some weird cloud formations over the estuary in a gloom that the floodlights could do nothing about. On top of that we were two-nil down in 13 minutes and we had an embryo officiating the game.

It was good to see Mario given a start, but couldn't understand why Theobald was dropped for Chenners. Wardy played well considering the birth of his baby - he must be knackered. Dom didn't have the best of games - in fact the mistakes reminded me of when we played at York - he just seemed to make some really silly mistakes and started to come apart at the seams. Perhaps having Chenners in the middle instead of Dave didn't help? Also tactically I can't understand why Greggors was given a start. The conditions just didn't suit him at all. He's good in the air - but we needed to play it on the deck because of the wind. When the ball was being played through he didn't have the pace to get on the end of it. When he did get the ball to feet he did do the odd nice knock on - but he wasn't able to play the game that suits him most of the time.

We did well to get back in the game with a cracking goal from Duffers and you felt that it was a matter of time before we would get the second, particularly with the number of chances we were creating through Mario and Lee - then half time got in the way. It was good to see us playing ball to feet with Mario doing some great little touches and through balls. Keeling started OK but didn't fugure so much in the second half when Vics started to push forward again.

Second half seemed pretty even and in the final 20 minutes it all went "handbags" - referee lost control and some unecessary tackles were flying in. Quayles tackle on Chenners didn't look as bad as some that went before it - in fact I was waiting for Chenners to get up and shake it off - deliberate or mistimed, I'm not sure, but we could certainly do without it - Lee took a couple of knocks yesterday as well - no matter what fans think of Chenners he didn't deserve that. Felt Chenners was having one of his normal games, some good bits, some poor distribution and a lot of shouting at others when it was going wrong - perhaps thats why Jeff favoured him above players such as Theobald because he is far more vocal.

Bit to soon to comment on Steve Burton - but it was good to see Mario play a big part in the game yesterday - would like to see him link up with Williamson.

Posted by Cangull(poxy login is getting on my ner ves)- Non-e-mouse you reading my mind or what?

Agree with your comments in total. I posted earlier that I couldnt understand the Theobald bit.

Some of our selection decisions are so questionable arn't they. I also thought that JKennedy didn't look good yesterday, I dont like the fact that when he is selected he is given a central slot, he looks much more comfortable taking the line, I doo think Sedgmore is better where JK played yesterday.

Marios contribution was enormous just as all around me were expecting, with a well worth MOM.

A little conflict I thought at times between Noto and Duffy, as Mario was slotting down the channels Duffy was at times just not in stride for them. BTW Marios strikes at goal have some wicked curves on them, gotb to be a problem for a receiving keeper.

good to see mints bacl as well.. when he was through on goal i was thinking thank god its mints he is bound to score, then to see it drift wide..

we have to get that defence sorted before hereford take the piss.. or just say fk it and go 3 up front from the off

Quote:
Some of our selection decisions are so questionable arn't they.

Does seem like that at times Cangull. Sometimes I think we are not aware of all the facts such as injury etc. but IMHO its not just the selection decisions - its the amount of them we make.

Very rarely this season have we seen the same team role out the following week - sometimes tactical, sometimes injury or suspension. It looks like the whole season has been about trial and error with various players and options - if Leigh, Forest Green and "A N Other" give us the room to do this and learn in our first season then fine - but I don't think we will get another chance next season and I'm sure Jeff and Glenn will use the knowledge gained this season to consolidate us in the Conf.

Up until Stevenage, when Lee got injured, and Northwich away we had a defensive record that was in the top 5 of the division. We had problems up front once Lee got injured which was compounded by Junior being injured as well. However, I feel it is midfiled (controversial I know)that we have struggled most with. How many combinations have we seen this season?. We rely upon midfield to build and give us opportunities to our forward players. If we played hoofball it wouldn't matter - we could all watch it sail over the middle of the field - but Canvey don't play like that. I think thats why our strike rate has struggled a little bit particularly when Lee was injured and this is also why we started to get into the habit of settling in our own half once we took the lead in games such as Crawley.

A non e mouse - Do know what you mean, our defensive line has shown gaps where not being bolstered by the midfield. I did notice when Mario played in the friendly v Lewes, he took a good number of corners and it impressed me that as soon as he played his stroke he was tracking straight back into a defensive roll, just an example!!

Are our attacking midfielders tracking back quick enough or is there another problem. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?