Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

General Election 2005

MOTM v Sutton  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

• P Nicholls
    • A Lacey
    • C Robinson
    • K Millington
    • D Young
    • J Haverson
    • J Keister
    • W Wilson
    • J Healy
    • L Blackman
    • S West
    • S Cliff
    • L Smith

I have Sky plus and did record it. Now I just need to work out how I can copy it. It will be worth a fortune on e-bay in a few years when freedom of speech has been outlawed and the national language has been changed to Arabic. I despise that slipery [****!!****] Blair.

Quote:
Anonymous said:It will be worth a fortune on e-bay in a few years when freedom of speech has been outlawed and the national language has been changed to Arabic.

Get back to reading your Daily Mail, there's a good chap.

Quote:
Anonymous said:
Party Political Broadcast from the BNP was shown on BBC2 about five minutes ago ... Very interestingly Mr Griffin said that speaking the truth is no defence to the charged he is facing – in other words even if your telling the truth you can still be charged with racial hatred! Absurd. Remind me, do we still live in Britain or the Soviet Union circa 1976. RIP Freedom of Speech.

What he claims to be the truth is his allegation that Islam is a wicked & evil faith: something that is demonstrably not true. Islam, when corrupted by fundamentalists who have misread & misinterpreted its teachings, can be a force for evil - as, most certainly have been, and can still be, Judaism & Christianity and quite possibly any religion you care to mention.

There's nothing remotely interesting in anything Nick Griffin says. The tv documentary, that infiltrated the BNP & which led directly to various charges against several of its members, showed these people for what they really are - a vicious bunch of racist thugs, including those with Cambridge degrees behind them. Griffin was shown on Newsnight this evening, spouting off about muslim paedophiles, the obvious implication being that all muslims are child molesters.

Strip away the suit & the University education & Griffin is a straightforward fascist, with the same profoundly undeveloped psyche which drives all fascists to tap into the ignorance & worst instincts of those evil, stupid or uneducated enough to support them.

In the Soviet Union, the BNP wouldn't have been allowed to exist, let alone granted the democratic right to peddle its deceit & poison on public television.

EC

PS If you are the same Anonymous as the one talking in the Burton game thread about going to organized events on St George's Day, I'm not surprised you were vague about their exact nature. Just as certain bigots, claiming to be true followers of Islam, have given all muslims a bad name, other people, claiming to be true patriots, have stained our national pride with the smear of racism, through highjacking our flag & saint for their own grubby ends.

I that am your opinion UG then fair play to you. Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with everything that you say I haven’t got the time to type up my opinion on these issues onto this forum, in any case you can probably guess my views anyway and I don’t really want to hijack this thread with talk about the Moslems. In any case any messages relating to this subject probably wouldn’t last two minutes on this forum anyway.

Speaking of hijacking, what I would disagree with is your point that groups like the BNP or whoever have hijacked events like St George’s Day and our national flags (English and British in my case). Let’s be honest about things shall we. The BNP have as much right to wave these flags as anyone in Britain – that’s a fact. If other races and religions wanted to incorporate the British flag into their celebrations then who’s arguing with that? No me, and I doubt anyone else! Nothing would make me more proud than if we’d seen a few Sikhs proudly displaying the British flag at some point during their Vaiskha (spelling?) festival the other week - I didn’t see any. Now I’m not saying there wasn’t one just that I didn’t happen to see any. The point I’m making is that many of these ethnic groups are reluctant to display the flags of the Britain or any of the home nations. And it doesn’t stop their either. Many (white British) people also didn’t seem to keen on celebrating certain events or flag waiving until groups like the BNP encouraged it – I don’t know why this is – perhaps for fear of offending minority groups.

At the end of the day, the BNP haven’t hijacked the flag (it’s a myth circulated by multi-cultural liberals who have no pride in the flag anyway and would rather not see it flown anyway) – the way I see it is that the flag had been left had pretty much been dissuaded in the last few years and the BNP have simply found it by the roadside, dusted it down and displayed it in it’s full glory – the way it should be.

Dunno what the last paragraph’s all about. In my haste to get out in the sunshine and down to the pub I’ve made a few mistakes should read….

“At the end of the day, the BNP haven’t hijacked the flag (it’s a myth circulated by multi-cultural liberals who have no pride in the flag anyway and would rather not see it flown anyway) – the way I see it is that the flag has been discarded in the last few years and the BNP have simply found it laying by the roadside, they’ve dusted it down and displayed it in it’s full glory – the way it should be”

Speak to you later…

Flags. Thats all they are flags. Peices of cloth showing a symbol to represent national pride. When I often travel abroad I see many British people, they dislay the Union Jack and the St Goerge both in their full glory but very rarely do I see them display the flag of the country they are staying in. And to be perfectly honest why should they?

I heard something in the news recently that said the French are not happy with the amount of British expats traveling over to their country and refusing to join in with the french way of life.

Two examples of how the british go abroad and piss off the locals. To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less, the brits can do what they like as long as it remains within the laws of the country they are in.

Like wise with people migrating from other countrys over to here. It's nice when you hear of different cultures mixing together but if they don't I couldn't care less as long as everyone remains within the law.

And as for the BNP's Party political braodcast, what a joke. There was a fantastic oppertunity to win my vote, why didn't they take it? I saw the fly on the wall undercover documentry last summer and still might have voted for them but if that is all they can offer me they can get lost.

It started with a Tramp called Frosty. He was a war veteran. The theme was to make people feel sorry for him and make Blair look like the bad guy for letting Frosty get this way by letting in so many immigrants.

Well if Frosty was a war veteran then the bombs he dropped and the bullets he shot probably added to the amount of immigrants comming over here.

And making Frosty out to be someone that accidently fell in to a homeless spiral then that is also a joke. We have all been in that situation where we don't have a job to go to but for us all and for Frosty there is work out there but it isn't going to come to you, you have to work for it.

Quote:
Harry J Allstars said:
And as for the BNP's Party political braodcast, what a joke. There was a fantastic oppertunity to win my vote, why didn't they take it? I saw the fly on the wall undercover documentry last summer and still might have voted for them

Harry, were you living in a bubble before the BNP's party broadcast...?!

Fact is, all this talk of giving the BNP votes is all crap anyway - they're not standing in Gravesham!

I have long thought that it is the success of the English language that is a main reason to attract immigrants to the UK. Who wouldn't want to settle in a country where the language is already spoken or at least familiar? The same applies with emmigrants from the UK who by and large will chose to move to countries such as Australia or Canada rather than, say, Brasil or Japan. Our colonial past and present day Commonwealth links are also factors. This country has relied upon economic migrants for decades. Usually they end up doing the jobs the indiginous population don't want to touch but without which society would not be able to function smoothly or safely. Provided there is proper vetting to exclude criminals, immigration has clear benefits for the population as a whole. Scare stories tend to distort the true facts and that is why politicians who play the race card should have their motives subjected to the closest scrutiny. kmj.

Quote:
Harry J Allstars said:
Flags. Thats all they are flags. Peices of cloth showing a symbol to represent national pride. When I often travel abroad I see many British people, they dislay the Union Jack and the St George both in their full glory but very rarely do I see them display the flag of the country they are staying in. And to be perfectly honest why should they?

Why should they indeed? One day I’d quite fancy retiring aboard, fact remains though that if I moved to Spain for example I wouldn’t suddenly become a Spaniard overnight (and nor would I want to) my ultimate allegiance until my dieing day would always be towards Great Britain.

Quote:
Harry J Allstars said:

And as for the BNP's Party political broadcast, what a joke. There was a fantastic opportunity to win my vote, why didn't they take it? I saw the fly on the wall undercover documentary last summer and still might have voted for them but if that is all they can offer me they can get lost.

You sound like at one point you were actually willing to lend your vote to the BNP but have changed your mind suddenly. Is this true or are you using this pseudo-stance as a vehicle to somehow ram home your point? In other words exaggerating your feelings for the party when realistically you were not going to vote for them from day one? If you were willing to vote for the BNP even after watching the much publicised documentary then I simply don’t believe that you would change your mind on the strength of their Broadcast yesterday.

With regards to the parties broadcast don’t for one minute be naïve enough to think that all, parties rely on the same resources when producing their political broadcasts. What Labour gets to spend on their broadcast isn’t the same as the BNP have available. You did know this I presume? Surely to criticise a BNP broadcast simply because they have less funds with which to play with is similar to criticising GNFC because their funds don’t match that of Manchester United. Think before you type Harry.

Quote:
Harry J Allstars said:

It started with a Tramp called Frosty. He was a war veteran. The theme was to make people feel sorry for him and make Blair look like the bad guy for letting Frosty get this way by letting in so many immigrants.

Well if Frosty was a war veteran then the bombs he dropped and the bullets he shot probably added to the amount of immigrants coming over here.

And making Frosty out to be someone that accidentally fell in to a homeless spiral then that is also a joke. We have all been in that situation where we don't have a job to go to but for us all and for Frosty there is work out there but it isn't going to come to you, you have to work for it.

You’ve miss-interpreted the theme of the documentary entirely Harry, but then knowing you as I do I’m hardly surprised. The underlying point was that whilst Britain is admitting many thousands of asylum seekers there are a great number of British people who have to deal with poverty in this country who are being over-looked. The point they are emphasising is that ‘Charity begins at home’. The BNP are making it clear that until this country is in order, and its people are provided for then we shouldn’t consider offering refuge to foreign nationals (the majority of which are not here because they are genuinely being persecuted but as economic migrants – fact).

The documentary lasted five minutes Harry. I’m surprised that in that short time you have been able to make an assessment as to why ‘Frosty’ is homeless, and pass judgment that it’s his fault – you know nothing of why he is where he is but seem to think that you do. Tell me Harry does Harry suffer from any illnesses or disabilities? Has he suffered any kind of bereavement or life-altering event lately which may have contributed to him being where he is? Why did he loose his job? Do you know Harry? The point is, let’s try and establish a few facts before passing judgment. Let’s take the documentary at face value. The BNP are raising a point that there are many thousands of British people living homeless or under extreme hardships, and these people should be the focus of our attention before we start offering asylum to people from foreign lands. It’s an interesting point, and the intention of raising it is to get people talking about asylum and this country’s duties to its own people.

The point about ‘his’ bullets and bombs contributing to immigration is farcical Harry and only highlights your lack of knowledge of world politics. If that’s the case then as you seem to have so much conviction in your argument no doubt you can bring to my attention what proportion of asylum seekers and immigrants entering Britain have done so as a result of British Army interference in their homeland?

To blame the faults of the asylum system on the armed forces is quite frankly the funniest thing I’ve read on these forums in the last few years.

A conservative voter arguing in favour of the BNP. Never thought I’d see that day.

Hmmmm. A good debate going on here.

The BNP actually have some good ideas but go about it in a totally wrong way. Since Labour have come to power, immigration has cost the county of Kent somewhere in the region of £250 million out of an estimated £3billion. No wonder there's a huge 'black hole' in the economy (est £11billion) that Gordon will need to plug after the general election, should Labour be returned. This 'black hole' equates to an EXTRA £1,000 a year in taxes for every family in this country. That means more than that for the working poulation, as we all know that working subsidise the non-working. In my opinion, these is obscene when we have plenty of problems amongst our own people to sort out first.

Before some of you cry out 'racist'..... calm down. Those who live near or travel through Gravesend Town Centre know there IS a major problem with immigration. I'm not talking about the Asian community, although I have concerns that the current temple is harbouring a few illegals (as I've said before, that information came to me from somebody in the Asian community)..... I'm talking about the sheer number of East-European people wandering round at anytime of day. They certainly aren't here working, nor studying. Most of them are young men, as opposed to families fleeing trouble.

Gravesend is just the tip of the iceberg, most of the South East is affected, with the area around Thanet in an even worse state. Crime is soaring, the local papers full of taxi drivers being robbed (mainly by East Europeans it would seem). At a time when immigration & crime both soaring, so are diseases such as TB, STD's and such like. House prices are soaring way beyond inflation, mainly fuelled by a buy-to-let market cashing in on the need for rented property for these 'asylum seekers'.

Now tell me that none of it is related?

For these reasons and many others, I will be voting for Adam Holloway - Conservative.

The problem with an attitude such as " Charity begins at home" is that with the BNP it ends there as well. I was half expecting the Anon to write " I'm not a racist but...." to prove that he obviusly is!

As for FFs remark regarding the Conservative candidate, posing with a dog dressed in a Union Jack coat in his election material in front of one of their immigration posters, certainly comes across as only a slightly more subtle version of the BNP. And besides the image is 100% cheesy too. kmj.

As I see it, the only reason anyone has to vote Conservative is if they are convinced that immigration is the single most important issue in the country today. Even then, who's to say the Tories are equipped to sort it out fairly and efficiently? When Michael Howard was Home Secretary, he had at least two asylum seekers deported to Nigeria, where the corrupt military regime promptly arrested and executed them. If you're gut reaction to this is "Well if that happens to a few it's better than us being swamped" then vote Conservative as there's no BNP candidate.

Personally, I don't believe we are swamped - but then I believe very little I read in the Daily Mail or The Express. Yes, I have seen groups of Eastern European young men around in the town centre, but I've never felt personally threatened by them. I have read the stories in The Reporter about the attacks on taxi drivers, at least one of which was allegedly by Eastern Europeans and of course its very likely that some low lifes have found ther way here.

I don't hold them responsible for all the disorder on the streets though. In Gravesham, as in much of the country, its badly parented young people and children who pose the most consistent threat to people's quality of life. I believe this began decades back when Thatcher's policies abandoned the sink estates to their own devices, but then I'm a Labour supporter so I would say that. Over the years a whole sector of society has developed that feels cut off from the prosperity the rest of us enjoy. So it's a huge buzz to discover you can empower yourself by behaving exactly how you want and seeing respectable society unable to challenge you. It will take time to sort it out, now we've finally woken up to the problem

Gordon Brown has presided over the longest period of economic prosperity since records were kept. If you don't have prosperity, you can't do anything, policies are irrelevant. Does anyone honestly think the Conservative Party in its present condition is capable of running the economy properly? Oliver Letwin, unlike Michael Howard, is a nice, bloke, but Chancellor of the Exchequer? Do me a favour.

Graham S

Quote:
Graham S said:
Gordon Brown has presided over the longest period of economic prosperity since records were kept. Graham S

So Labour swept to power and overnight the economy boomed?

No.

The economy was set to boom again after the Conservatives corrected their mistakes.

Mark my words, a lot of people will change their tune about Labour when the brakes screech on the economy - it will happen.

Meanwhile, let's all look forward to the next round of 'tax & spend' with no visible improvements. More hikes in council tax as they continue to divert money to the safe seats up north, continuing pension under-performance as the funds get raided each year - actually these two are linked, as I seem to recall local councils shoring up their employees' pension funds with tax payers money so that their pension funds didn't suffer. Cheers Gordon Brown - you got us twice with that one!

Just for the record we are now paying roughly 41% of our incomes out in tax (be it income tax, council tax, national insurance or any 1 of their sly stealth taxes) compared to approximately 34% when Labour came in. I accept we have to pay our taxes but this government is taking the piss.

Immigration ISN'T the only reason to vote Conservative.

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:

Immigration ISN'T the only reason to vote Conservative.

It is if you believe they are totally incapable of improving anything else. For all your talk on the tax burden FF, I'm infinitely better off now in terms of pay, conditions and prospects than I was as a despised secondary school teacher working for a succession of confrontational Conservative Education Secretaries.

I don't believe the Tories are capable of running the country in their present state. Howard knows this and is going for damage limitation, hoping that his appeal to the populist ant-immigration vote, coupled with apathy amongst former labour voters fed up with Tony Blair and/or the handling of the invasion of Iraq, will save him from the wipeout suffered by his party in the 2 previous elections.

The Tories have always appealed to people's worst instincts when they're in trouble.

EC