Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HORNCHURCH

Hi Gazza.

I've just spotted this posting which was put on the Isthmian Forum last night. It's apparently taken from the Leyton F.C. web-site. There was passing reference to the case on these boards at the time as I recall. On here during the trial, some chap from Enfield Town talked about the case having 'far-reaching consequences for all club Secretaries'. I'm still not sure what he was on about.

A 5 day trial. Phew! Just imagine being one of the witnesses. I wonder what they found to talk about while waiting for their turn in the box? An Inland Revenue Tax Inspector and the former Chairman of a Non League Football Club. Old times and old tax bills perhaps.

Lessons for us all, eh?

SOPHOCLEOUS COURT IN IS BAD NEWS FOR ENFIELD TOWN

02/07/2003

Costas Sophocleous, chairman of Ryman League Division One North club Leyton, has been awarded damages of £5,000 by a High Court jury against Foresters Essex Senior League side Enfield Town.

After a five-day trial at the Royal Courts of Justice, the jury found that Enfield Town secretary Roger Reed had 'defamed' Sophocleous (pictured).

At the trial in the Strand a jury found that Reed, a Football Association official, had defamed Sophocleous in letters which he had written maliciously to officials at the Essex Senior League, the London Football Association and the Middlesex Football Association. The letter alleged that Sophocleous had committed a criminal act by making abusive and threatening calls to David Bryant, the Enfield Town chairman

The jury decided that Bryant had lied about the contents of the telephone conversation to make the Leyton chairman look bad because of rivalry between the two clubs. Bryant then made a bogus report to the Metropolitan Police to make his complaint look authentic

The jury also heard evidence given in support of Enfield Town by Paul Millington, vice-chairman of Enfield Town Football Club, and an Inland Revenue tax inspector.

Millington claimed that he had been told details of the threatening calls by Bryant. Former St Albans City chairman Lee Harding also gave evidence in support of Enfield Town, but their evidence was dismissed by the jury which found 10-2 against Reed and Enfield Town.

The jury had heard previously through Sophocleous Counsel, Hugh Tomlinson QC that no such threats had ever been made and that Sophocleous had been mortified by the contents of the letter.

Sophocleous said in evidence that the Enfield witnesses were hiding behind a cloak of respectability and influence to set him up. Tomlinson QC said that the case was not about money but that Sophocleous had brought the case to clear his name.

Sophocleous said that the only threats he had made were of legal proceedings and accused Bryant of having cooked-up evidence to substantiate Enfield Towns false and malicious allegation.

After hearing the evidence the jury took four hours to find on a majority of ten to two that the allegations against Sophocleous were malicious and had been made up. The jury found Reed and Enfield Town Football Club should pay Sophocleous damages of £5,000. Enfield Town were also ordered to pay Sophocleous legal costs, with an immediate payment of £21,000.

Sophocleous was delighted with the verdict and ecstatic after the hearing, said: It says a lot that they had six witnesses with supposedly respectable credentials against just me and the jury didnt believe any of them.

"I am delighted with the outcome and the Leagues and the Football Association should look into this scandalous behaviour by Enfield Town officials. There is no place for dishonest and malicious officials in football.

Sophocleous added: They thought that they could say what they liked and get away with it, and I proved them wrong. They were extremely arrogant. I am happy that justice has been done. I feel sorry for the true supporters of Enfield Town Football Club who have been drawn into this mess.

Sophocleous pledged his damages award to Great Ormond Street Hospital, while Enfield Town will also have to foot the bill for the legal costs which were estimated in the region of £130,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gazza.

You remember that someone introduced to this thread the police inquiries into the shirt sponsorship draw at the Mighty Saints in 2001? When the then Chairman was interviewed 'under caution'? Of course you do.

Anyway, I was tidying some old papers and the file relating to the draw fell into my hands. 46 companies. £250 a piece. Memories, Gazza. The draw was originally scheduled to take place at our home game on February 3rd but that had to be postponed as we met Chester City at the Diva Stadium in the Trophy that day. It took place at our next home game on February 17th. The Mayor made the draw, M.P. in attendance. The great and the good etc. Good P.R.

The 'deal' was that the lucky winner would have its logo on the shirts for the rest of that, and the whole of the next season. First out of the proverbial hat had the home shirt, second the away.

The new shirts finally arrived and were worn by t'lads at our home game on April 16th. Yes Gazza. That does seem like an inordinate delay. 2 months. And February/March aren't likely to be a particularly busy time for the manufacturers. I wouldn't have thought.

The police inquiries? Started at the end of March, Gazza. 6 weeks after the draw took place. The new shirts were ordered by the club at the beginning of April according to my notes from the time.

All's well that ends well.

Hi Gazza. Apologies. I hadn't visited this forum for a couple of days.

A book? Hmmnn. Now there's a thought. Do you think there would be much demand for it in Essex?

The first thing is to find a working title. It could be called "We have no problems with the Revenue, our League, or the F.A.", or perhaps "We like to conduct ourselves properly" taking quotes from another contributor, in irony. Maybe that's too subtle for the sub-title.

As a thought, quite simply "The 'no prize' 200 Club and other money-making scams".

Not a bad idea at all. Would certainly make interesting reading.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gazza.

I found this old thread on your forum and I thought that you might be interested to see the following posting from the Isthmian message board yesterday. It comes from the Hendon site apparently.

Its just 'paper talk' as they say. I'm sure that no-one from Braintree, who, they declare "like to conduct (them)selves properly", would let down the good name of the club.

"Gary McCann has today expressed his disappointment concerning the approach by Braintree Town to sign Eugene Ofori in a full and frank conversation with Greensnet.

As was announced on the website earlier this week, the club received a seven day approach from Braintree who wanted to sign Eugene Ofori. When Gary contacted Eugene to let him know about the approach, he was surprised to discover that Eugene had already agreed terms with Braintree.

When a club wishes to speak to a non-contract player, the rules dictate that they should put in a seven day approach. The seven days commence from the date of the postmark on the letter, which in this case was 31st August although it didn't arrive in the club office until Tuesday morning. Therefore the seven days expired yesterday and today is officially the first day that Braintree are able to speak to Eugene regarding terms. As a result of his conversation with Eugene on Tuesday, Gary firmly believes that the Braintree Town management had already been in talks with Eugene despite no official approach being made.

Gary and Andy Pape are very angry that George Borg didn't follow the correct channels and contact them first to ask permission to speak to Eugene, particularly as they had both been players under Mr Borg. Andy is particularly upset as he had made several hundred appearances for Mr Borg at Enfield and Aldershot Town. AFC Wimbledon had approached the club in the correct manner regarding signing Eugene and permission was granted for Dave Anderson to speak to him although as it happened nothing came of the discussions.

Gary made it clear that the club will never stand in the way of a player if they want to move on although they will always aim to do everything in their power to persuade players to stay with the club. If Braintree had done the same as AFC Wimbledon, Gary would have happily given them permission to speak to Eugene.

Gary went on to speak of his disappointment regarding how Eugene has conducted himself in the past few days and said "Eugene has shown that he has no affinity for the club. He wasn't ill on Tuesday night as mentioned in the match report but simply didn't show up at Walton & Hersham. By doing that he let the club down, his teammates down and the fans down. He has been fined the maximum penalty by the club. He was one of the highest paid players at the club over the past three years, the club have done a lot for him since he signed and sadly Eugene has repaid this by showing no loyalty to the club preferring to go to a club that are able to pay him more than double his current wages."

Gary concluded by saying that he wants all supporters to be clear that whilst Eugene leaving the club will be a loss on the pitch he is extremely disappointed and angry at the way he and Braintree Town has conducted themselves. The situation has left a very sour taste in the mouth of everyone at the club and particularly Gary and Andy. It is expected that the transfer of Eugene to Braintree Town will be concluded in the next few days."

Hi TC.

I've noticed from your posts that you seem to be, shall we say, 'well-connected' in the board-room at New Lodge. Good luck for the season from me.

This Ofori business. Fascinating!

Wouldn't it be the stuff of dreams if Hendon wanted rid of t'lad, and set-up the fat man to make an illegal approach. In he comes, does the deal with the player, puts in a 7 day, Hendon express outrage, report The Iron to the FA, Ofori signs in a blaze of self-generated publicity, Cressing Road gets a slap on the wrist from the blazers, and the Hendon Officials smell of roses.

Wonderful. But surely not. Too far-fetched by far. Mind you there is the history of the fiasco with Roberts. Three times a week from Alicante to Stansted all all that garbage. They don't get it right all the time.