Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Champions League

Now Liverpool have won it, should they defend it?

I nearly was convinced that they should not, Evertons performances etc etc.

Then I hear on TV they have won it so many times they are gonna actually keep it and a new one has gotta be made for next year.

Sorry!! to be a champion ya gotta take it off of somebody otherwise it dont really count.

Any team that wins it from a tournament that dont include Liverpool next year may as well have won the inter two bob cup.

Its a bit like pool up the club [****!!****] the rules "winner stays on".

The FA should get the support of other FAs in Europe (maybe not the Italians just now though !) so that the rules are changed to allow the winning club to defend the trophy ever year (whatever country they are from). After that epic game last night there will be a lot of goodwill towards Liverpool defending their trophy so even our FA should be able to get plenty of support for the idea. In any case UEFA don't want small clubs progressing in the Champions League, it's set-up is designed to ensure big clubs play each other in the groups and knockout stages. Quite frankly it would be a doddle to fit Liverpool (or any other club) in to the qualifying stages.

everyone knew the rules, the top four get a place, they weren't the best team on the night, they aren't even the best team in Liverpool. if they can only get a place by dropping someone else from the competition then they shouldn't have a place.

England only gets 4 spaces, they are the rules and always have been. the 4 best teams of the season get places. Liverpool were 37 points off the champions and 3 points off 4th place. if they can get a place without anyone else loosing out then they disserve it. but Everton disserve it more than they do. hell if TNS are prepared to play for their place then let Liverpool take their chances against them, with the way they have played for most of the season I think the welsh will fancy their chances. and as far as having a chance to defend it, they should quit while they are ahead they will have plenty of chances to get humiliated in the Super Cup as well as the World Club Championship next season

Just like they got humiliated in the Champions League Final?

Come on Ken give Liverpool a bit of credit. They pulled off one of the greatest ever comebacks in all Football(almost as good as our comeback against Dover) and deserve the chance to defend their trophy.

don't think anyone is suggesting Liverpool replace Everton, I just think the winners (wherever they are from) should have the opportunity to defend their trophy. I don't think it should be that difficult to let another team in at an early qualifying stage.

Fair enough. The rules say no and of course due to these rules, Everton deserve to go into the Champions League. But the whole point of a competition is for clubs to try and take the trophy away from the previous winner by staying in the competition longer than them or beating them. Also, another point of competitions is for the holder to defend it from these other teams.

This is the whole point of sport. Competition. And without the holders in the competition next season, it becomes uninteresting. We now just have to wait to see who ends up with the European Cup instead of watching the teams and the holders go at it in pursuit of the trophy.

Hi All

Personally I believe that UEFA need to change the rules to allow 5 English clubs in. Ive read somewhere about the possibility of having an extra qualifying round and letting Liverpool in which seems to be the ideal solution.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and Everton deserve to be in the CL and if the FA kick Everton out it will be disgraceful but as Champions, Liverpool need to defend their title.

One thing that does puzzle me is that people say that over the course of a season Everton were the better side but they played 38 in the league and 3or 4 in cups where as Liverpool played 38 in the league, 5 or 6 in the Carling Cup, 1 in The FA and 15 in the Champions League and finished with a Trophy. I wonder how everton would have coped with that sort of season?

I'm not saying kick Everton out, I believe both should be let in and UEFA should save themselves some embarrasment. After all Liverpool have to play in the World Club Championships that UEFA told them to but are not deemed good enough to be in a competiton that they won. Strange?

Anyway congrats to Liverpool and Everton for fantastic seasons and hopefully UEFA see sense.

Sorry Ken, but in what other competitions in ANY sport have the holders not appeared. It is just stupid if they dont defend it. The rules should be that the winners get automatic entry.

The fact that you say the best teams in Europe should only get to enter is a big contridiction of the name 'Champions' League.

What is the point of this competition if the 'Champions' dont defend their 'Champions' League title?

the world cup was mentioned wasnt it? the winners have to qualify now dont they..? only the host get autos..

now the drama has faded and we can all look at this in the cold clear light of day, lets face it, if the scousers get booted out it will be mildly amusing, especially if your an everton fan