Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Robbo at Arena Essex

I was at Arena Essex Speedway on Wednesday when none other than Tottenham & England goalkeeper Paul Robinson was there. Graham Stuart (ex Everton, Norwich) also attends now and again. With 40,000 attending the British GP on Saturday at the Millennium Stadium, I was wondering if there was much interest of Speedway in other football fans aka you lot?

www.arenaessex-speedway.co.uk

i watched about ten minutes of the british gp on t.v...

seems to me speedway has gone the way of pro football, with riders going down at the slightest touch when it suits them to get a restart.

one of them even did a bit of an italian style agony roll after stacking it without being touched whilst being in fourth place on the first bend.. he even managed to get the other guy disqualified!

Well Great Eckscape, Mum and Dad used to take me to Harringay back in the fifties and for years I supported Hackney Hawks. I even wrote a weekly column in their programme called Hackney Historics. Nowadays I just make rare visits to Arena Essex, but I always keep up with all the results.

pabird, You're just ahead of me, I remember Jeff LLoyd (capt), Split Waterman, Danny Dunton, Arthur Atkinson, Nobby Stock and a young Ron How.

To all other readers, sorry this has nothing to do with football but it's nice to think I'm young again!!!!!!!!!!

I've always thought that a link between Canvey and Arena would be a great idea. Both clubs would benefit from something like this, and if it was a mutual thing all advertisement would be free.

Arena regularly attract crowds of 1,000+, many of who are football fans. All it would take is an piece in each programme and a bit over the tannoy of fixtures and results and the reputations of each club would surely be enhanced.

For anyone who hasn't been over to Arena for a while (or ever!) the racing is better than ever, with former World Champions Mark Loram, Gary Havelock, Nicky Pedersen, and the legend that is Tony Rickardsson all riding Arena this year, as well as Current World Champion Jason Crump. It's a bit expensive at £13 a go + £2 for a programme, but the entertainment is top draw!

Ronnie Russell is the main man at the moment, he really is a Jeff King type manager as well. He tells it exactly how it is over the tannoy in his interviews, and isn't adverse to causing a bit of havoc in the pits!

We have an American riding for Arena in Josh Larsen, he's just come back from injury for tonights cup match v Ipswich.