Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Presenter Richard Whiteley dies

Television presenter Richard Whiteley has died after a long illness.

The host of Channel 4's day time quiz show Countdown had been recovering from pneumonia and missed recording of the upcoming series.

The 61-year-old presenter from West Yorkshire fell ill back in May and was rushed to hospital in Bradford. He had been said to be "recovering slowly".

Whiteley, who fronted the show with Carol Vorderman since 1982, is still on screen as the show is pre-recorded.

Ms Vorderman's agent, John Miles, confirmed Whiteley had died.

Last November Whiteley was honoured with an OBE from the Queen, who is said to be a fan of the show, as was the late Queen Mother.

A legend goes.

Tragic news. Absolutely loved to chill out mid afternoon with a bit of Countdown-I've even got the board game. Remember one episode when he says " both contestants level on 69-which is a good position to be in ". Brilliant. Will be sadly missed.

I couldn't believe it when I picked the news up on Ceefax yesterday.

He was well on the road to recovery, then suffered a set-back which required immediate emergency heart surgery.

I know everyone gently took the p1ss out of 'Countdown', but look at its track record. Longest running quiz programme on TV.

Yes, he cracked corny jokes but was magnanimous when 'set-up' so that the letters came out to spell a 'rude-word'

I do hope they re-show all the 'set-up's that were pulled on him.

A journalist that turned presenter, and made the job his own.

R.I.P. Richard.

saw a best of Celeb wind ups about 2 weeks ago. Had one where the word came out as omethings and all they got was the word things from it! He nearly shouted at them!

R.I.P The first face on C4