Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 12-December 17 )

• Photo
    Hornet

• Photo
    Riversider

• Photo
    tigersfan

• Photo
    theboss

• Photo
    beatsurrender

• Photo
    ebbsfleet is for life

• Photo
    sportingevenings

Photo

This website

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
21 replies to this topic

offline Colin Zeal EFM

Colin Zeal EFM
  • Youth Team Coach
This used to be a fun place to come - what's going on?? There's never anyone on here anymore.

I yearn for those days of you beating us 5-1 in the Trophy, yet we would come on here and wind you up anyway. All the banter about candy floss and warehouses. Ah, happy days.

But now - nothing.

Canvey Island Messageboard R.I.P.

offline Phil Old Boy

Phil Old Boy
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
There’s nothing wrong with this website and I look forward to reading the match reports and latest info on it. Maybe it’s because the message boards have changed in format often recently but some of the material posted by opposition fans is mainly drivel and has on the whole slagged Canvey off too much over the past 9 months or so, mainly because of our success. There has been so much attention on here at times that there have been more opposition fans on here than ours (and before you do, don’t mention the number of our fans). I expect this board will pick up again during the winter days and hopefully more of our continued success this year.

offline CANV EFM

CANV EFM
  • National Squad - 1st XI
number of our fans... hang on were up to second in average attendances (no one in this league will ever get close to the shots) despite being bottom, having the worst start to a season for yorons, and the most expensive entrance fee...
surely albans,riccay,sutton etc shud be hanging their heads in shame..
now who are the teams with big crowd potential?
shots
sutton
ducks
albans
bedford
stortford
riccay? depending on when they do a wimbledon
K;s surely, when their fans realise they have 73 games in hand
did chesham rack up the crowds when they went up?

offline Ryan.c

Ryan.c
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
And then there's the small matter of your over inflated crowds!!!! Saturday V's Braintree. Canvey will announce a crowd in excess of 800. Reality, 400ish.

offline Ryan.c

Ryan.c
.....if your lucky!

offline Ryan.c

Ryan.c
....and Southend are away!

offline CANV EFM

CANV EFM
who made you the crowd expert?
come to park lane a lot to do your estimates do you?
no southend fans in billericay are there?
cifc like paying more tax do they?

offline frenchy

frenchy
  • Reserves
  • Supports: Canvey Island
As £1.58 of every £9 entrance fee taken has to be handed straight over to the VAT man, I guess you're right. Canvey do inflate their attendance figures just so they can pay more tax. Makes sense to have a crowd of 500 but announce it as 800, just so you can pay an extra £470 in VAT.

Viva La France
Vive La Canvey

offline Merv

Merv
  • First XI - Sub
  • Supports: Bristol City
  • Foes: Chelmo Urghhhh....
Why stop at 800?

Why not pluck a figure out of the air of, say 1284 (On Frenchy's fugures, that's an additional VAT bill of £1392 if the true attendance is, as you say, 400ish).

And for the away game, I expect Braintree will do the same. If they announce a figure of, let's say, 1104 they too can pay the VAT man some extra dosh. (Using Frenchy's figures, but only £8 addmission at Braintree, the additional VAT would be £985)

I can see why even Basildon doesn't want you!

(Attendance figures based on last season's official reported figures to the Ryman League.)

offline Ryan.c

Ryan.c
You Islanders are so insular, you really must get off that Island and learn a little bit more of the world. Of course there are reasons for inflating crowds, but your own naivety means you can't see much further than the Waterside Farm roundabout!

offline TACKLE1000

TACKLE1000
Best way to genuinely inflate your crowd is to play good football regularly, As a scum supporter you would not realise this. Hope your move

offline TACKLE1000

TACKLE1000
ooops! as i was saying i hope your move to basildon goes ahead. At least the b's won't be the worst team in basildon then.

offline CANV EFM

CANV EFM
well if u want us to travel more stop moving your ground closer to the island all the time ....
anyone seen the plans for rod moores housing estate on blunts wall yet?

offline Wilf

Wilf
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Billericay always has been part of Basildon, hasn't it?

offline Merv

Merv
  • First XI - Sub
  • Supports: Bristol City
  • Foes: Chelmo Urghhhh....
Poster: Ryan.c
Subject: Re: This website

Ryan said,

"Of course there are reasons for inflating crowds, but your own naivety means you can't see much further than the Waterside Farm roundabout!"

You've got me rumbled Ryan. I guess I am naive. Would you mind listing all the reasons, as you understand them, for a club to inflate its attendance figures, in spite of the additional VAT burden.

Although I have been following non-league football for a long time and writing about it for quite a while, I am never too old to learn.

BTW A well travelled friend of mine called Ian tells me that the only thing to see beyond the Waterside Roundabout, is Pitsea. Do you blame us for never venturing off the island?

offline CANV EFM

CANV EFM
ive got a reason merv..
a club would inflate its attendances and pay more tax if they wanted to raise funding for a new stadium in another town to release the land they currently lease or own..
the said club could then profitably run an 8k all seater and full training facilities at a seperate venue on crowds of 500 without ever ever ever 'honest guv' ever, having to turn round at a later date and say oops we are out of cash this borrowing fistloads of money thing is expensive we will have to redevelop blunts wall into er um er umm housing ...
unless of course they are following the kevin costner theory of football...'build it and they will come'

offline Ryan.c

Ryan.c
That's more like it! I knew there was a bit of fight left in you boys! Why would a club inflate it's attendances and pay more tax? Well could it be to make a particular club seem bigger than what they actually are? If people think you're a big club, they are more likely to attend. Could it also be that it maybe more attractive to potential advertisers and sponsors? There is another, but that would be bordering on the slanderous! Correct me if i'm wrong (and I'm sure you will!) but didn't Purfleet get fined for doing exactly this?
P.S. You'll have to do better than that Wilf! And as for Pitsea, seeing as it forms part of the Billericay Constituency, lets just say it's the beautiful part of Basildon! Shame about it's neighbour though!!!!

offline cangull

cangull
  • First XI - Sub
Come now lads, lets be a little more lenient on this poor chap Ryan.C; its sad but true that with a mixed up brain like his he is bound to support a team like Basilricay, hence the silly postings!!

offline Basil-Don

Basil-Don
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
I am one of many people from Basildon who support the Gulls so lets not start slagging Basildon off!I have yet to meet anybody in Basildon who wants the Scum to come hear there is already a petition signed by 9000 people against it.
As I said once before we now know what the c stands for in ryan.c

offline Andy the Marsh Rat

Andy the Marsh Rat
When you read the letters in the "Echo",you start to wonder if Basilricay will get their wonderful new stadium,and if they dont,what happens when the developers pull the plug?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus