Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

This website

This used to be a fun place to come - what's going on?? There's never anyone on here anymore.

I yearn for those days of you beating us 5-1 in the Trophy, yet we would come on here and wind you up anyway. All the banter about candy floss and warehouses. Ah, happy days.

But now - nothing.

Canvey Island Messageboard R.I.P.

There’s nothing wrong with this website and I look forward to reading the match reports and latest info on it. Maybe it’s because the message boards have changed in format often recently but some of the material posted by opposition fans is mainly drivel and has on the whole slagged Canvey off too much over the past 9 months or so, mainly because of our success. There has been so much attention on here at times that there have been more opposition fans on here than ours (and before you do, don’t mention the number of our fans). I expect this board will pick up again during the winter days and hopefully more of our continued success this year.

number of our fans... hang on were up to second in average attendances (no one in this league will ever get close to the shots) despite being bottom, having the worst start to a season for yorons, and the most expensive entrance fee...

surely albans,riccay,sutton etc shud be hanging their heads in shame..

now who are the teams with big crowd potential?

shots

sutton

ducks

albans

bedford

stortford

riccay? depending on when they do a wimbledon

K;s surely, when their fans realise they have 73 games in hand

did chesham rack up the crowds when they went up?

As £1.58 of every £9 entrance fee taken has to be handed straight over to the VAT man, I guess you're right. Canvey do inflate their attendance figures just so they can pay more tax. Makes sense to have a crowd of 500 but announce it as 800, just so you can pay an extra £470 in VAT.

Viva La France

Vive La Canvey

Why stop at 800?

Why not pluck a figure out of the air of, say 1284 (On Frenchy's fugures, that's an additional VAT bill of £1392 if the true attendance is, as you say, 400ish).

And for the away game, I expect Braintree will do the same. If they announce a figure of, let's say, 1104 they too can pay the VAT man some extra dosh. (Using Frenchy's figures, but only £8 addmission at Braintree, the additional VAT would be £985)

I can see why even Basildon doesn't want you!

(Attendance figures based on last season's official reported figures to the Ryman League.)

Poster: Ryan.c

Subject: Re: This website

Ryan said,

"Of course there are reasons for inflating crowds, but your own naivety means you can't see much further than the Waterside Farm roundabout!"

You've got me rumbled Ryan. I guess I am naive. Would you mind listing all the reasons, as you understand them, for a club to inflate its attendance figures, in spite of the additional VAT burden.

Although I have been following non-league football for a long time and writing about it for quite a while, I am never too old to learn.

BTW A well travelled friend of mine called Ian tells me that the only thing to see beyond the Waterside Roundabout, is Pitsea. Do you blame us for never venturing off the island?

ive got a reason merv..

a club would inflate its attendances and pay more tax if they wanted to raise funding for a new stadium in another town to release the land they currently lease or own..

the said club could then profitably run an 8k all seater and full training facilities at a seperate venue on crowds of 500 without ever ever ever 'honest guv' ever, having to turn round at a later date and say oops we are out of cash this borrowing fistloads of money thing is expensive we will have to redevelop blunts wall into er um er umm housing ...

unless of course they are following the kevin costner theory of football...'build it and they will come'

That's more like it! I knew there was a bit of fight left in you boys! Why would a club inflate it's attendances and pay more tax? Well could it be to make a particular club seem bigger than what they actually are? If people think you're a big club, they are more likely to attend. Could it also be that it maybe more attractive to potential advertisers and sponsors? There is another, but that would be bordering on the slanderous! Correct me if i'm wrong (and I'm sure you will!) but didn't Purfleet get fined for doing exactly this?

P.S. You'll have to do better than that Wilf! And as for Pitsea, seeing as it forms part of the Billericay Constituency, lets just say it's the beautiful part of Basildon! Shame about it's neighbour though!!!!

I am one of many people from Basildon who support the Gulls so lets not start slagging Basildon off!I have yet to meet anybody in Basildon who wants the Scum to come hear there is already a petition signed by 9000 people against it.

As I said once before we now know what the c stands for in ryan.c