Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Results - 18th September 2001

.Ian

Aldershot Town 4 - 1 Maidenhead<BR>Basingstoke Town 3 - 0 Sutton<BR>Canvey Island 2 - 1 Boreham Wood<BR>Chesham 4 - 1 Braintree Town<BR>Enfield 0 - 2 Hampton & Richmond<BR>Gravesend & N 3 - 0 Hendon<BR>Heybridge 1 - 1 Bedford<BR>Hitchin 2 - 4 Grays<BR>Kingstonian 4 - 1 Bilericay Town<p>[ 18 September 2001: This message was edited by: Ian CIFC ]

This league is open wide, every team is beatable, I think we could have a 4 or 5 way tussle for the league this time, isn't that better than Dagneham wiping the floor or a tight two horse race?<P>Give it to about the 20 game stage and we'll see who's still up there then. Not sure if it will be us yet, we played well last night and Wayne Andrews has scored 9 in 9 games so it looks good on the attack, but we need to get some form going.<P>Just a couple of things I've got to respond to before I leave though:<P>Billericay, we didn't cheat you, you just couldn't beat us.<P>Braintree are still a good outfit even though our win doesn't suggest that.<P>Kingstonian are a better team then a lot of people think and will probably end up a top 6 squad.

He (Wayne Andrews) must be playing well to of got that many so far. <P>Always looked quick for Shots last season, but never seemed to have the finish. Created loads of chances with his pace, and I'm wasn't too sure we should of let him go, with 9 in 9, sounds like we definetly shouldn't of.<P>I agree a tight league is much more interesting ( but we all wouldn't mind if our side ran away with it!)<BR> smile.gif" border="0

It never fails to amaze me of the number of indisputably good players , particularly strikers, who move to Aldershot and don't make the grade - they leave and seem to find their game again! What does this say - I don't know - is it the expectation the supporters have for wanting instant results -or finding themselves in front of 1,500 - 2,000 people, management tactics? Curious - interested to know what Shots supporters think? confused.gif" border="0

Ithink partly the pressure of expectation and the crowd has something to do with it.<P>Management shouldn't make that big a deal, and good strikers should profit at Shots. Just look at Gary Abbott for a case in point.<P>Perhaps it's also easier to be a bigger fish at a smaller club, in that you can shine better when the other players are not so consistently good.

I tend to find it is a real confidence thing.<P>The likes of Terry Bowes (Arsenal), Dwayne Plummer (Bristol City, now Bristol Rovers),Richard Graham (QPR), Steve Slade (QPR) and Wayne Andrews (Watford) all have started their careers brightly and then, somehow, ended up playing for us! I am sure you can all think of an example or two.<P>Steve Slade isn't right yet, but the fact QPR paid £1million for him means he must have had something about him at some stage that justified that fee.<P>Clubs like ours are a great place for players to rebuild their pride and be pro's again if they show the desire and ability, 3 clubs have already scouted our man Wayne. <P>I think it's just a bit less in the way of pressure and expectation, perhaps the players begin to enjoy the game a bit more too.

Yeh he does suffer a bit with the injuries just like his brother Effan, when he plays though he does look good! When he came down ours last season for Sutton, (although we thrashed them), he was the danger man.Upset the ref a bit though and of course got some stick for it from us lot.<BR>Still good luck to him. <BR>You guys will be in the frame towards the end of the season I reckon.

Chesham are one of my top tips for this season..i was very happy we got 3 points there (whatever the cirumstances rolleyes.gif" border="0 )<BR>the boys from 'table one' may also be in the shake up at the end of the season...but gravesend confused.gif" border="0 at thier best a top team,capable of beating anyone 'with some style', but the reason i can't rate em is a lack of strength in depth.. i really think they will struggle after xmas..sorry carjam

Thanks all for at least not abusing this G & N supporter this time. Most of you though are not taking 'The Fleet' anywhere nearly seriously enough. Canvey, Aldershot and the other two teams from Essex are not the only contenders.<P>From the local press<P>They are expected to win it and the ground grading was the only thing in their way.