Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The end for Grays?

YELLOW

According to today's NLP, Gray's millionaire chairman Mick Woodward is threatening to quit the club after some supporters were critical of his handling of club affairs.

He has stated that if he doesn't receive full backing at a fan's open meeting this Wednesday he will walk out.

Alledgedly fans on Grays' message board claimed Woodward did not make correct use of a 600,000 pound FA grant and that the attendance was more than 2,000 for the recent game with Cambridge rather than the 1,543 quoted.

So are they going the way of Hornchurch?

I can`t see him walking away but he wasn`t impressed, before their forum was closed he had someone post this statement on his behalf.

Statement From The Chairman

realblu [81.135.240.32] Wed Sep 21 14:02:19

User: realblu [profile]

Views: 9

I have just recieved this statment from Micky Woodward

To All Fans

From Micky Woodward

It is to my amazement how people are so quick to pat the club on its back so to say, and then question the running of it, by hiding behind user names, so I thought I would have my little say, but without hiding.

Is now so easy to see how chairmen come and go! It is so easy for the chairman to become a target. What I wish to do is to answer some of the posts placed on the Fans Forum, in person.

Firstly 1543.

Yes that was a true figure and not one that has been thought up in some bodies head. And the figure of 2000+, well we wish!

Secondly £600,000

When you purchase your copies of the NLP this Friday, you may wish to read a certain article that is being published regarding the clubs Grant.

You will see in the article that the value of the Grant awarded id actually £150,000, and as yet the money has not been received by the club.

Thirdly My Response

I am more than open to questions, so I am arranging a Fans Open Evening. This will take place on Wed 28th September 2005 at 8.00pm sharp at Grays Athletic Football Club. All are welcome and all questions will be answered.

I have felt the need to do this, as I feel that the mindless morons that continuously are questioning the excellent work and long hours put in by myself, my family, the Board of Directors and numerous volunteers, is leading me to the point of Resignation.

Micky

Amazing that the position that Gray's are now in and having come so far to the point of perhaps even being a football league team next season that Mick Woodward, who has been the catalyst for their success off the field, is on the receiving end of criticism and accusations with the club in it's best position ever, financially and on the pitch.

I would not blame him at all for walking away. What are the rewards at non league level for the amount of money, blood, sweat and tears put in by chairman, directors etc? I cannot think anybody is in football at this level to make money or for the ego trip. You have to be a football fan to be involved with clubs like Grays and if he does walk away and they slide back into total obscurity again, it will serves them right if that is the way those fans choose to treat Woodward, the best thing that has ever happened to their club without a doubt.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer club. Would have no sympathy at all for the supporters if Woodward decided to walk. He seems a genuinely nice bloke and to be treated like that by some section of the supporters is appaling.

I can remember the last time we played Grays away(obviously in the Ryman) some of their supporters were actually singing about the floods of 1953, and taunting us about the islanders that drowned.

I know it was a minority of them and i dont know how many of our lot heard them, but it soured the way i perceived their club.

so this behaviour doesnt surprise me.

They do have a minority that scars the club. Remember a section of their fans invaded the pitch at the Trophy final.

bothered about grays.. singing a few flood songs dosent bother me either, just shows what they are.. as for the boss threatening to walk cos of some stick from a forum, fk me how did he get that far in business with a skin that thin..! bloody poof..

so he nicked 600k thats what footys all about isnt it.. ;-)

Agree about that. You can't just quit because someone has had a bit of a go at you on a fans' forum!!

If I were a Grays fan I would struggle to complain about anything the way their season is going, but shutting the forum is a joke. Stimson at the helm, surely now Grays Athletic have turned into the Nazi Party!

Would be poetic justice if Woodward walked out on Grays. Hornchurch went bust last season effectively handing the Conf South title to Grays. Now it looks like Grays could go the same way and I would have absolutely no sympathy for them at all.