Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Legends v Heroes Testimonial Game

Wardy

Thanks to those fans who have made donations to have their name in the programme. I did ask Tim to get a few fans to write about their favourite teams for the publication so if you're interested see hime. Of course he may have already have this sorted!

I don't mind contributing something if it's needed.

My favourite Canvey XI by Glen Eckett!

GK. Ashley Harrison

The penalty saves against Stevenage in the 2001 FA Trophy will stay long in memory, as will scrambling across his box for what seemed like hours stopping Northampton from scoring. A great shop stopper and true Canvey Legend!

RB. Ben Chenery

Will always be remembered as the man who fired Canvey to their greatest day. His bullet header against Forest Green put us on the map, and live in front of a SKY TV audience as well! Solid defender who was pivotal in our promotion the the Conference.

LB. Julian Dicks

Even though he was only with Canvey for a short spell, his influence was immense. Not only did the crowds pick up to well over 1,000, but Julian certainly played his part in our famous FA Cup victories against Northampton, and especially Wigan at the JJB Stadium. As well as this, he was a really friendly bloke and certainly our most famous player.

CB. Steve Ward

The reason this testimonial is taking place! Talk about Canvey through and through, if you looked in the dictionary under the phrase "fan favourite" you would see a picture of the Ginger Sex God staring back at you. The effort and passion he shows for Canvey is why the supporters relate so well to him, and the fact that he has cleared every stand in the country! Scored many a good goal at the Lane, shame they were all for the opposition!

CB. Mick Bodley

A real no nonsence defender that had opposition strikers wishing they had stayed at home. What he lacked in pace he made up for with experience, positioning, and overall endeavour. His face after we won the Trophy summed the guy up for me, he is football to the core.

RM. John Keeling

In his short time with Canvey he has established himself as one of the most exciting players ever to have pulled on the famous Yellow jersey. Blistering pace along with great control means that everyone urges him forward to deliver another of his pinpoint crosses.

LM. Steve Parmenter

When Parms played for Canvey he was never afraid of a tackle, though in the early days I think it was the barber he was more afraid of! A consistent performer and good clubman, yet another player that the supporters could relate to.

CM. Steve Tilson

What can be said about Steve Tilson that hasn't already been said. Success seems to follow Tilly around wherever he goes, from promotion with Southend as a player, promotions and lifting the FA Trophy with the Gulls, and currently days out in Cardiff along with promotion to League One where they sit top at the time of writing. A fantastic player for Canvey, never failed to produce the goods when necessary. His dedication to Essex football has resulted in a petition to get Steve honoured by the Queen for his services, let's hope it is a success.

CM. Adam Miller

Arguably the best player to come out of Park Lane, as he is now employed by Championship side Queen's Park Rangers. Signed from Ipswich at the same time as John Kennedy, his workrate was exceptional and made our Trophy winning midfield extraordinary along with Tilson and Stimson.

CF. Lee Boylan

When Boylan signed for Canvey, he was very much third choice behind Neil Gregory and Wayne Vaughan. However, it didn't take Lee long to show his worth to the team and secure his place as Canvey's top marksman. His goals have always been memorable, from his free kick against Telford in the 2004 Trophy Semi's, his double in the final, and his incredible hatrick against Hornchurch in our Promotion year to win 3-2 from 2-0 down on the last day of the season.

CF. Ahmed Mouyouokouop

In the pre season of 2004, Ahmania swept across the entire country (well, up to Benfleet). Ahmed was potentially the greatest footballer ever to have graced this country, and had the right attitude to boot. His double against Halstead in a friendly led to amazing celebrations, the likes of which the 30 in attendance had never witnessed! It is believed Ahmed is locked in the loft in the changing room after a cruel joke, probably by Danny Potter. If seen, please return immediately!

Whoops better do my team!!

Sorry if this is a bit late but here's my team:

David Powell's Canvey XI

3-5-2 formation.

GK DANNY POTTER: A tough choice between Danny and Ash but Dan just shades it. The penalty shoot out against Telford had to be Danny's greatest moment but he has made some saves that absolutely defy belief. A great bloke as well, he was a major reason we stayed in the Conference last season.

CB. MICK BODLEY: Mick was only with us for two seasons but the guy will always be held in the highest regard by Canvey fans. Gave 110% and was a rock at the back. His performances in the Trophy final of 2001 and against Wigan were immense. It was sad he had to retire through injury but Bods will never be forgotten at the Lane.

CB STEVE WARD: The Ginger Sex God is Mr Reliable. Rarely has a bad game and has to be one of the most dependable defenders at this level. Reads the game well, has great pace and most of all would die for the Canvey cause. The guy is a legend and always has time for the fans. One day he will score a goal and when he does, we'll all be on the pitch celebrating!!!

CB STEVE PORTER: I didn't really start watching Canvey on a regular basis until 1999 but on the ocassions I went betweemn 1995 and 99, Ports always impressed me. Was solid at the back and great in the air. Scored so many important goals and that bullet header against Brighton will live long in the memory. Was a key player in Canvey's rise up the leagues.

RWB JOHN KENNEDY: Mr reliable. JK is not flashy but always gives his all and will never stop working for the team. A provider of some great crosses and sometimes great goals he rarely gets the plaudits but deserves a great deal of credit for Canvey's recent success story.

LWB CHRIS DUFFY: Frustratingly inconsistant at times but when on form can be unbelievable. When Duffers is running past defenders and whipping crosses in he is sublime. He has remained the one constant from when I started watching Canvey regularly in 1999. The guy has scored some great goals and will always have a place in the hearts of Canvey fans.

MF MARK STIMSON: I will never forgive the guy for going over to the dark side but as a player he was quality. Great passer of the ball, devestating in the tackle, the guy had so much talent. That flick to set Greggors up against Northampton was unbelievable. The guy is a legend just for some of the rucks he had!!! I was gutted when he went to Grays but whatever you think of Stimmo now, there is no denying he played a major part in where we are now.

MF STEVE TILSON: Probably my all time favourite Canvey player. Scored a hatful of goals from midfield and captained the team during the glorius FA Cup and Trophy runs. His long range shooting was awesome and I'll always remember that brilliant hattrick against Stafford in the FA Cup. He dragged us through the Ryman Leagues and despite being Southend manager still commands huge respect amongst the Canvey faithful and quite rightly so.

MF KEVIN DOBINSON: Was going to pick Alan Brett but like Ports didn't see him play too much. In my eyes Dobbo is a legend. The guy gave 110% and more on top of that. Who could forget him coming on as sub in a pre season friendly against Southend and within seconds flattening one of the Southend players? Anybody who knobbles Kevin Maher is an idol in my book!! And he could play a bit as well (that goal against Stalybridge!!) Injury played havoc with his career and I really hope one day he makes a successful return to playing again.

FW LEE BOYLAN: GOD!! The guy is a goal machine. He can score from anywhere and everywhere. Give him half a chance and he'll score. Quite probably one of the best strikers in the Non League game and gives 110% for the cause. The loyalty he has shown Canvey is also amazing.

FW: NEIL GREGORY: The other striking birth was very competitive with Andy Jones, Tony Mahoney and Paul Cobb all in contention (OK the last one wasn't true!) but Greggors just had to get it. Wigan, Northampton, Gravesend, where there was an important game, Greggors was there to score. At times he seems so unfit and you wonder why he is on the field but you look at that goal against Wigan and you remember why you rate this guy. Maybe we've had more skillful strikers but Greggors has contributed so much to Canvey history and hopefully will continue to do so.

Those who didn't make it but deserve a mention.

Andy Jones

Tony Mahoney

Alan Brett

Ben Chenery

Steve Parmenter

Ashley Harrison

And he did!!! Legends won 5-3 with Wardy scoring a penalty. Well done to The Great Eckscape who did the PA today. He was bloody nervous before the start but played a blinder!!! Well done Glenn.

Good to see Ian W back at the Lane taking photos of Wardy's big day.

Excellent day, enjoyed by all who attended.