Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Swear words

Why are we so offended by the use of some swear words and accept some words that mean the same.The c word is regarded as the most offensive but we freely use the words prat ,twat and berk(old cockney rhyming slang Berkshire hunt) which all mean the same as the c word.

Why is substituting the word sugar instead of [****!!****] accepted even though the person is cursing.

I am also led to believe that the f word is a acronym for an old charge of rape (for unlawful carnal knowledge)

My point is that words are just words and misuse is just bad english,and if you call someone a plank and you mean to offend then you might as well use a stronger word instead as your intention is to offend.

My theory on the c word being more offensive than a word like berk is that though they mean the same the c word comes from the back of the throat when said,and thus sounds harsher when said.The Spanish word for the c word is widely accepted in spanish culture and can be heard said in many a hispanic film but, is more melodic than our word.

I think the real problem is that that the word is germanic in its near recent routes and we are historically prejudiced against.

I must admit i do not like the word ,but because i have brought up not to like the word ,along with the words Chelsea,Qpr and Brentford.

How often is that then Zody? Every other word lol

You can always use back slang (as in ssip ffo pronounced sip fo). Used in lots of butchers shops and the like. Once you get to know it its like a new language and no one else knows what ya talking about unless they too know the jargon.

Can be very effective in dealing with stress especially at work lol

Whatever you do, don't get caught saying "Jehovah". Actually that scene sums it up pretty well.

To my mind it is more pathetic to get up on your high horse and excited about swear words then it is to use them. As you say, what is acceptable in any given culture changes over time and in context, and what is acceptable to one group (or individual) may not be to another. I suggest that the one with the problem, has got the problem.

Certainly if chairing a formal meeting I would not expect anyone to swear, but I would not get unduly hot and bothered if they did (it happens). The genreal tone would be of more concern if was aggresive or shouty, in which case I would invite them to calm down and/or leave, depending on circumstances.

So [****!!****] to 'em all!

Quote:
I am also led to believe that the f word is a acronym for an old charge of rape (for unlawful carnal knowledge)

I'd heard that this one came about eons ago when supposedly people had to have the King's permission to conceive a child, and otherwise weren't allowed by law to um.. practice. There would be a sign hung on the door stating Fornication Under Consent of King.

Even if that story is only crap, it is still fun to tell it and see who believes it.

I'm not overly offended by swearing, and have been known to do it myself, but excessive swearing, or hearing someone use it in an inappropriate place bothers me.

Nearly right Moo ! Goes back to Victorian times when certain gentlemen took their pleasures with rather young girls.

The Charge was, [color:"red"] F [color:"black"]ornication (and) [color:"red"] U [color:"black"]nlawful [color:"red"] C [color:"black"]arnal [color:"red"] K [color:"black"]nowledge, and obviously abbreviated to.................