Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Unlucky Canvey?

Merv

I thought Canvey were very unlucky in the second half today. So many clearances off the Tamworth line and our strikers being just wide of the mark on so many occasions. But, as the inspirational Bill Shankley once said, “In this game, you make your own luck.”

But don’t you think perhaps Canvey need to make even more luck than other teams? If you play with at least two players who are in a league above their ability, you need to make extra luck. If you don’t have any other tactic for free-kicks, corners, goal kicks (or even throw-ins) than hit it hard and hope, you need to make extra luck. If there is no one in the team who can talk to the others, to direct and inspire them, you need to make extra luck.

So like I say, Canvey were unlucky in the second half today. But isn’t it about time we started to take control of our own fortune or are we never to return to the glory days of the past 10 years?

We were appalling in the first half today. No attacks on goal and making it easy for their forwards.

And before I forget, that was the miss of the season when their guy went round Danny and just had to side step the ball in and ended thumping the ball against the bar. Couldn’t believe it.

Enough said.

The second half was a different affair. I was thinking we were so bad in the first half that we might have lulled Tamworth into thinking that was our level. Straight from the off we wanted to know and suddenly we looked like a team again.

As Merv said we wanted something a little different to happen in front of goal for us. The ball in was mostly cleared by a team who just looked to be taller than us all round the pitch.

In truth, the points were there for the taking today against one of the weaker teams in the conf.

We were beaten by a team who were better than us in the air when we got it on the floor we looked a lot better, they then switched their tactic to giving away a foul 25 yards out and knowing their keeper was up to most of what we had to offer.

Minton was poor and lazy at times and Bunce just not good enough.

Captains should inspire and direct the play ours lost the ball and expected everyone else to clear up after him.

Trying to play offside without pace at the back is dangerous.

Bring on Cambs

We've all remarked on the depth of the squad but today showed a major weakness on the left with Sterling and Bimson out.

Bunce looked a tad rusty and unsettled. McGhee played well but didn't look to comfortable in the first half.

I am rather concerned at how we "play to the level of the opponent". We seem to go into games and a certain amount of "leadership & motivation" seems to be missing. I may be wrong but IMHO there doesn't seem to be the odd one or two players who immediately take the game by the scruff of the neck. Our weakness at the back was exposed and we didn't seem to have anyone who really wanted to "get it together".

Luck aside I feel Tamworth were worth their win. The second half saw a tactical change with Bunce coming off and Mario coming on - a positive move towards atacking football. However, this left us vulnerable at the back and they grabbed a second.

The last 15 minutes saw some quick attacking football but the damage had already been done. Tamworth were down to 10 men and a Lambs fan told me that their inspired goal keeper was actually their coach. The regualr keepers were both injured. I feel we had a bit of hidden luck but unfortuantely it wasn't going to make up for the lack lustre display in the first half.

have thought for a long time that we are too weak in the centre of midfield.we lose possesion too easily,and that puts the (at times) shaky defence under more pressure than they can handle.

we need someone who is physically strong and can impose himself on the game. would give a bit of confidence to those around them,would also allow a bit of breathing space for the back four.

also,why do we play at such a slow tempo?

is it the part time thing?

Basically agree with MOB although a bit harsh on Bunce who looked rusty and not first team fit rather than not good enough. Tamworth played to their strengths, put it about a bit and, to be frank, did a number on us. A lot of people were complaining about their tactics but if the boot were on the other foot we would have been happy enough.

Well done to Tamworth, but we really need to be able to break down teams like them and need to stop losing concentration at the back. If we go from a back 4 to a 3, we need appreciate that we are susceptible to a quick break and make sure we have the pace at the back to cover. Injuries may have deprived us of Ward and Sterling, but we need to play to the strengths of the players available.

I felt today that Tamworth had done their homework. Lee was not allowed to play with 2 defenders on him all the time. and when it looked like he could their goalie reminded them! Thought Taity's goal was brilliant, and the one's that didn't. Mario made a hurrendous misjudgement by trying to shoot when Lee was in front of goal, Lee quite rightly pointing it out! Minton was very dissapointing today, he is usually so reliable, he had I think 3 free kicks today and muffed them all. How many chances did we have in the last15 mins to score, too many players trying to score from no hope positions instead of passing. The defence gave up in the las 20 mins probably because they were tired, no useful subs again today, too little too late.

Why was Hallett not introduced until only 8 minutes were left? It was crying out for a change and for Hallett to come on when we were pressing for an equaliser.

Tamworth were a very (at times overly) physical side but they came with a gameplan and stuck to it. How many bookings were there today? I lost count in the end there were so many.

I think the problem was it looked like the players on the field had enough to turn it around!! I probably would have brought Kezi or Jason on after they scored. I think we looked like we were better than them.

They just did not do it.

We lacked pace at the back, our defenders were constantly being turned too easy!! We need some pace at the back and what do we do! we put a young pacy defender on the transfer list and Lowe stays on the bench, [****!!****] suicidal!!

Mario made a mistake or two, so what, every one of the players out there were making plenty too but our momentum & shape improved when he was introduced, it also improved our work rate along the right line instead of the constant and predictable left with Keelo.

Quote:
cangull said:
We lacked pace at the back, our defenders were constantly being turned too easy!! We need some pace at the back and what do we do! we put a young pacy defender on the transfer list and Lowe stays on the bench, [****!!****] suicidal!!
Mario made a mistake or two, so what, every one of the players out there were making plenty too but our momentum & shape improved when he was introduced, it also improved our work rate along the right line instead of the constant and predictable left with Keelo.

with you on every point.
with some younger legs out there we might be able to play at a better tempo,and start causing other teams the kind of problems they cause us.
we need a mix of the experience & ability of our more mature players,with the energy & ability of our youngsters.

Shocking display in the first half. I thought I had seen the worst miss ever at Bowers v Hornchurch the other week but the one by Edwards yesterday was pathetic.

Second half we played much better. Showed plenty of passion and but for the goalkeeper and some sloppy finishing we may well have got at least a draw.

Got caught by a sucker punch of a goal and in fairness Tamworth did their job well. They are not an easy side to play against and I find it surprising they're in the bottom two.

Tait for me was superb. Scored a great goal and may have had a few more. Dissapointing result, felt we deserved at least a draw.

what no mention of the ref, for the first 25 mins he was excellent, then he seemed to lose it. but the worst thing was watching mints fall to the ground after what looked to be a bad challenge put the whistle to his lips then look at their man bursting through our defence and then he took away the whistle,maybe the whistle was getting cold and he wanted to warm it up in his mouth, but i don't think so.

The first half was as bad as I've seen us play this league season, lucky no to be 3-0 down. Second half Mario's introduction allowed Duffers to add some pace to back. I don't think Bunce and McGhee as a partnership works, I think it has to be Bunce/McGhee/Chenery with Sterling/Ward.

We had many opportunities second half, but their keeper was on inspired form, especially the save from Minton's free kick. I'm please to see Taity score again, he's going from strength to strength in this team (though I'd still like to see him as an attacking midfielder!)

As for their second goal, how the referee didn't stop play when Jeff Minton obviously had a head injury is beyond me, especially as it was right in front of him!

In terms of team selection, I was surprised that either Hallett or Ibe didn't either start or come on a lot earlier. Redmile at the back was so physically superior to Boylan and Tait he won nearly everything. I think Kezie or Jason would have competed better in terms of strength and may have created a bit more through the middle.

Overall a disappointing result, but we have another home game next week and I'm sure we'll put in a better performance.

Bit of a shame that quite a few people stopped singing in the second half, some fans need to be a bit less fickle and a bit more proactive.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!

Definitely think a place should have been found for Ibe in the starting line up. His precense and skill would have caused the Tamworth defence a few problems and given us something different.